Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx kittens plus kids....good mix?

Kclarkston

Lairian
I have just put a deposit down on the cutie in my picture, he turns 12 weeks on December 12th and will come into our home soon after. I am excited and terrified at the same time! I have two children (3 and 11) and I am nervous that the kitten will be hyper and maybe scratch the little one accidentally. Should I be concerned? My children are both very sweet, and obviously I would never leave the little one with the kitten unsupervised just in case. What are your experiences with kids and these adorable kittens?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! I think you will be just fine. There is always a potential of getting a scratch with any cat, kitten or adult. Keep scratches clean, and be sure to keep the nails trimmed weekly or every other week depending on the growth. Kids are kids, scrapes and scratches can happen, just like making a mess with mud pies and playing with worms, its part of life. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kclarkston , welcoming your family to the lair family ! Omg your baby om the way is soooo cute !
We have many members with children and Sphynx thst will surely chime in

The are an amazing breed - we soo so many pics of kids with their Sphynx
Wish I had ome when I grew up! They are amazing cat dog monkey all in one - very Velcro .
I am sure you baby will have an incredible bond with your children .

Keep nails trimmed - start early so baby kitty is used to it ,I check and cut as needed twice a week .
The breeder can show you hoe to trim nails amd their are grr links here for "spa day"

of course teach children and practice " good petting " , gentleness , etc .
Sure the kids will have soo much fun sharing in the feeding and care of your precious !

Keep us updated on gotcha day! We want lots of pics and tales!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think the most important thing is to just let your kids know that the kitten isn't a toy. Cats like any living thing have a breaking point and do need to be left alone to do their thing at times. Teach them to be gentle and to not force the kitten to do anything it doesn't want to do, you see a lot of younger kids wanting to always hold and hug animals and that's something they need to learn that they do need their space and they will come for cuddles and pats when they want it as well and gentle love is the best way. Most scratches will happen when the cat is either too excited or wants to get away. If you let your kids learn that a struggling cat isn't a fun part of the toy that should minimise any possible scratches as well as teaching them to not play with hands but toys only that will help teach the kitten and the children that biting and scratching isn't a game.

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
Lots of great advice already! Our kitten is pretty chill and doesnt play with our son much yet. Our son is 5 and he understands that if hes gentle, he is allowed to hold Franklin and move him if needed, such as off a chair or such. If I let him, he would probably tote Franklin all over the house and they would be just fine lol. In fact, Franklins favorite spot to sleep at night is curled up with our son. However I do want to point out, especially with having a very small kitten and knowing that children can be clumsy, watch out for sitting on, laying on, or stepping accidently on the new addition! The other day our son accidently stepped on Franklin when he turned a corner, and it was absolutely terrifying. No damage done, thank goodness! But a heavy child (or adult) accidently squashing a small kitten could have horrible consequences. That said, if play time is supervised and all are taught well, you will be absolutely fine! All of our felines have always gotten on super well with our son

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TatyanaMassey great advice
head smooches to Frankie glad he is okay

Thank you for reminding us all how lightening fast these kitties are and are alway under foot or where we are about to sit or get into bed .
I alway tap on blankets or covers first to make sure kitty isn't tucked in lol

I have to be soo conscious about looking down at my feet to make sure they aren't zooming

your son sounds womderfu with kitties! So special to grow up together

Kclarkston

Lairian
I think the most important thing is to just let your kids know that the kitten isn't a toy. Cats like any living thing have a breaking point and do need to be left alone to do their thing at times. Teach them to be gentle and to not force the kitten to do anything it doesn't want to do, you see a lot of younger kids wanting to always hold and hug animals and that's something they need to learn that they do need their space and they will come for cuddles and pats when they want it as well and gentle love is the best way. Most scratches will happen when the cat is either too excited or wants to get away. If you let your kids learn that a struggling cat isn't a fun part of the toy that should minimise any possible scratches as well as teaching them to not play with hands but toys only that will help teach the kitten and the children that biting and scratching isn't a game.

That is great advise! My girls are pretty sweet with animals (grandparents have dogs who they love) my main concern was during play when the cat and the kids get too excited! I will definitely continue with teaching them to respect animals and give them their own space. I agree that is probably going to be a learning process! Thank you for your great advice everyone!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi I have two step kids 4 and 7 and they get along great with my 5 year old Sphynx Frida
Here is my littlest playing with her.
IMG_0120.jpg

I had to explain to her how to be gentle and that she should not bother Frida if her ears are back etc, but there had been no scratches or injuries for either the kids or Frida. She did give a gentle nip to let the 4 year old know that she doesn’t like having her tail pulled, but no incidents otherwise. Kittens are actually easier because they will grow and learn from the kids. I think it will be great for all involved. Kids really are the best for socializing a kitten. You are in for great times. I love watching them play together!

Here is the lot of us
Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat.
-Naomi

abd6107c5d75664131a43dc00cfa1ae6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kclarkston

Lairian
Thank you all for the great advice and reassurance! My kitten had a cold so my breeder has delayed my gotcha day a bit to finish off antibiotics and make sure he has shots and is well before he comes to us. Disappointing, but his health is most important. I will keep you posted on how he and the girls do when he finally comes home!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kclarkston kep us updated on your gotcha day!
It is responsible thst your breeder is taking care of kitty for s purrfect upcoming gotcha day!
You can ask him/ her if they recommend starting l-lysine powder when you bring your baby home.

L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats

Look forward to lots of pics and tales!

Kclarkston

Lairian
He finishes his antibiotics on Friday the 21st. My breeder has to get the exact day from the transport service she uses, but the estimate is 22, 23, or 24th. It’s definitely hard waiting!

Kclarkston

Lairian
So my Gotcha Day will be xmas eve! I am super excited!!!! My breeder calls this little guy Pizza, apparently she was hungry when she named the litter. She called them all fast food names and said it was her fast food litter lol! He is a thermal, so his colors are supposed to develop over time. Anyone have any great ideas on names?

Kclarkston

Lairian
@Kclarkston kep us updated on your gotcha day!
It is responsible thst your breeder is taking care of kitty for s purrfect upcoming gotcha day!
You can ask him/ her if they recommend starting l-lysine powder when you bring your baby home.

L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats

Look forward to lots of pics and tales!

I already bought some because I read all the wonderful information you wonderful Sphynx parents put on this site!! Thank you!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kclarkston soo exciting a Christmas Eve gotcha!
Hmm names - something holiday ? I named my dog who was born on Christmas day "Sam"
Because the word Chsristmas spelled backwards starts with "Sam" lol

Do you have a name list to share ?

Lol I like the name Oscar bcz they are such little piggies amd always into things

Your avatar pic is darling !
Can't wait for gotcha day pics!

Kclarkston

Lairian
Sorry no pictures on gotcha day, this little kitten was having a rough time eing away from mom. But here we are on day 2 and I have no clue why I was so nervous! Look at him with my 3 year old! I think this will be a life long friendship! Thank you all for all the advice and support!

Attachments

• 20181225_111027.jpg
    20181225_111027.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181225_111024.jpg
    20181225_111024.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 21
  • received_735325093516676.jpeg
    received_735325093516676.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 24

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new adorable family member!! I looked through the thread, but didn't see a name - have you picked one yet? :)

Looks like your 2 youngest kids have really take to each other (y) I don't have kids, but sometimes niece 9 and nephew 4 visit, and it usually works absolutely fine!

Back