Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx loses appetite

Kayley Fryer

Lairian
Hi there!

I’ve had my sphynx for 2 years now and she’s had a few random bouts where she loses her appetite and will just leave her food in the bowl. Generally she is a HUGE eater so when she leaves anything it is odd. I keep her on the same raw wet food always. There are no other symptoms, she seems energetic and happy as ever, poo’s are fine too, just not very interested in her food.

Last time this happened I took her to the vet but they didn’t have a clue, they just freaked out and wanted me to pay every $ under the sun to get tests, but 2 days later on some easy on the stomach food from the vet she was fine again.

Anyone had anything similar or know why this might be?

Sheldon13

Staff member
How long does she refuse food for? One meal? One day? Several days?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Kayley Fryer

Lairian
How long does she refuse food for? One meal? One day? Several days?

Often for several days, she snacks on her food morning and night but doesn’t devour it like she usually does. There’s often food in the bowl for most of the day.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well if she’s not straight up refusing for days and it’s just an appetite change I’d say it’s one variation of normal. Mammal’s appetites can vary wildly. For instance, I have no desire to eat dinner tonight. Nothing wrong with me, I’m just not hungry.