Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hola Lairians!! :cat::cat::cat:

Having been around the Lair for a few months now, I’ve noticed there are so many unique and creative sphynx names!! Some are cute, some are funny. Some are historical, others from pop culture.

With so many members from all over the world, I though it would be interesting to start a thread where everyone could comment their sphynx’s name, meaning, and maybe even the story behind it!

Hopefully, y’all like the idea, and we can get some cool answers going in this thread! :bookworm::kiss::cool:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Monica fun thread. By now members know we don’t do normal names lol. My Dad always asked us why we picked weird names and yet I know he secretly liked that hubby and I picked unique names and the reasons behind them.

Jouët...named after the jewel of champagne (we love champagne)her mother’s name was Jewel

Azura....named after a city in a game called Gears of War that hubby and I play on X-Box.

Myshka...means little mouse in Russian...he has a Disney Mickey Mouse mark on his butt.

Ochi...we love Jamaica...Ocho Rios (Ochi) is our happy place. Means balance and joy for us.... we got Myshka a kitten to bring happiness and balance again....we named our kitten Ochi for this reason.

Last edited:

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Full/Registered name: King Kenzo Bare
Call name: Kenzo
Nicknames: Kenny, Kenzie, Kizzie, Owww (via my 11 month old daughter)

Meaning: Kenzo is a Japanese name that means “healthy and strong.”

Backstory: Originally, my inspiration was from the Japanese/French fashion designer, Kenzo Takada. ‘Bare’ was added to pay homage to a business hubby owns of the same monicker, and references his nakedness, of course. ‘King’ was added once Kenzo arrived home on Gotcha Day. He quickly assumed his position as pack leader of the Stinky Boys Club (the doggos), and has been ruthlessly ruling ever since. :p

B233D6E0-D9C7-4E7F-873A-5D6686281ED7.jpeg

@Yoda mom @Catzzzmeow @Toa and Ross @Xandria @Anita Eccleston @Condo commando @Bailey21 and everyone in the Lair, please join the fun!

Last edited:

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Binky is named after a celeb in the Uk, my hubby has a crush on!

The meaning of her name according to google, is a stuffed animal, blanket or toy that a small child is more attached to than any other and often sleeps with! Bless Haha...!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
what a great idea for a thread!

First there was Lord Maximillian von Strange – which for reasons I cannot explain, just seemed to make sense when I first saw photos of him. There is really nothing more to it than just a feeling. I use the double L instead of the standard single L ( as in Maximilian) just to further add to the uniqueness. LOL. Of course this was immediately shortened to Max. His vocal nickname is Jeffrey or Jeff as in Jeffrey Nommer, serial nommist; as he noms his tail all the time. It may be a bad joke, but it amuses us. I also have been known to call him Budski (as in Buddy).

10606216_708095639278626_741591394647386166_n.jpg

10846063_732394446848745_7443144629239075586_n.jpg

Then when we decided to adopt his half-sister almost a year later, we needed a Min. There were a couple of options, but we really settled on Lady Wilhelmina von Strange, however she is anything but a lady! LOL. Her vocal nickname is Min Min. Although I often use the nickname @lealea gave her, "Minschief", quite often as well.

12376133_10156338691840525_1870334293657465693_n.jpg

12620951_10156499278345525_1356742792_o.jpg

I love the fact that they are Max and Min, and a few people have commented that they sound like appliance settings! ha ha ha.

Honestly, I can't imagine them having any other name.

And their parents are Onyx (stud), Max's mama is Bijou and Min's Mama is Amber (no photo, I'm afraid).

Onyx (you see where Min gets her decorum from)
onyx 6.jpg

Bijou (you see where Max gets his stateliness from)
bijou 2.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica , first of all thank for the great thread start! :) secondly for some reason everytime I go to tag you I automatically start to type Kenzo Bare lol

My crew is adoptees - I kept their names :) because they had love in their prior holes and knew their names .
The other well, he didn't know his name worth a damn- when I asked his name - they to,d me and he totally was clueless - so I renamed him. I adopted him after my sudden loss of Yoda girl in my avatar pic - she was my first Sphynx and I keep her avatar pic to honor her - the Sphynx thst started it all - she stole my heart and got her wings much too young :( I curse HCM :(
I said in her honor I wanted to adopt a black Sphynx - well the stars aligned and she sent me the black "prince " -
Clueless to his name - I renamed him "Toby " as sounding like the phrase "meant "to be"
He looooves his name ! He purrs amd closed his eyes for head smooches when I call him by name :)
When he is on his "one fast cat exercise wheel aka. The stargate - " I tel him "go Toby go - go fast Toby "!
He meows and runs faster !

So that's our tale of tails :)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have the girls which are Queen Victoria. And Princess Anastasia. Vicky is for Doug's love of the Victorian era. And Anna was named because the first night he had the girls Anna got herself locked In a closet and he could not find her. So she is named after the lost princess. They are bio sisters from litters that were 3 months apart.

We love heavy metal and power metal. Udo is named after the first lead singer from the band Accept. It is also a German name for boys meaning power of the wolf or power of the home.

Wolfgang is named after Wolf Hoffman from the same band Accept. He is an amazing guitar player. Also Doug had a good friend in school named Wolfgang and he always loved that name. I really loved the name too because I really enjoy Mozart.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom I’ve always wondered if I would change an adoptees name... I did change Brodie’s name from the puppy formally known as Rudy, lol. I think I’d be in the same boat as you! If they like their name, keep it, if not, name them Toby! ;):D

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Staceyxxx Sounds like Binky is the perfect name for your girl... in the most fitting and the most hilarious of ways! :hilarious::cat:

@Xandria First, your Max as a kitten has me riddled with kitten fever!! :arghh: SO CUTE! Second, the picture of daddy dearest is FANTASTIC! I love him. :ROFLMAO:
Finally, I love the backstories!! The way their names play off each other is so cute. Reminds me of Mariah Carey’s twins, Morocco and Monroe.... adorably nicknamed Roc and Roe... like rock n roll!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My boys Toa and Ross are from the same litter.

Ross was handfeed by the breeder because he refused to drink milk with his mommy. The breeder was very attached to him and named him Nudo Ross (from rose what is Pink in Dutch). I decided to keep the name. It became Ross for short. Now sometimes I regret cause Ross is such a common name. And he sure isn't a common boy:)

Toa is short for Quilotoa. A lake in Equador with the most beautiful blue water. I was there a few weeks before I picked up my boys. And when I looked into Toa's eyes I knew he was Quilotoa.

Jade came to live with me when she retired from being a breedcat. Her name was April cause she was born in April. Her breeder took good care of her but told me she didn't have a real connection with April. At home April didn't listen to her name. I started to think about renaming her. Looking at her beautiful green eyes I thought about the gemstone Jade. I said the name Jade out loud and who came running to me...? From that moment Jade was her name.

Foxy short for Foxy Lady. When I started to work in youth care there was a 10 year old girl called Foxy. I never forgot her and knew one day I had to name a sphynx Foxy. I added the Lady because of the song Foxy Lady from Jimi Hendrix. The lyrics are so true! Foxy has her own song, cool!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Monica I love this thread! It’s so neat to read everyone’s story about how and why they named their sphynxies. Okay we’ll here we go with ours (sorry this may be a long one).

So my boyfriend had actually wanted a sphynx his entire life. He was obsessed with pinky and the brain (tv show) since he was little. He wanted a pet that looked like the mice, and since he’s allergic to fur, he’s always loved sphynx. I personally thought they were ugly (shake my head now). My mom sent me a picture of two sphynx kittens as her co-worker was buying one, saying we should get one for Ryan as a suprise for Christmas. I was flabbergasted as I didn’t think she’d ever allow another cat (we thought we had a lot at 3 back then). So secretly I sent over the deposit and in two weeks on Christmas Eve would be gotcha day. My boyfriend and I are huge Star Wars fans, and I kept asking him “what would we name a sphynx in the future when we move out and finally get one”. It took us days and finally in the car Ryan turned to me and says “Yoda”. I knew it was perfect!! I ordered a personalized tag with the name Yoda, which is what the last clue was taped to the door during Ryan’s suprise hunt. So a day before Christmas Eve he had a little surprise waiting for him after work! And then of course to continue our Star Wars theme, we both fell in love with the name Finn for our future tuxedo baby. For those who don’t watch Star Wars, Finn is oringinally a storm trooper (the dark side) who hates the killing of the innocent people and rebels to the light side as a resistance pilot! So it’s really perfect as he’s a tuxedo, which is black and white

30a465f3b4712785e14497ca57c9e44e.jpg
e2648313aab9418da116042ba05db78e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Bailey21 please next time you post video's like this tell us we need tissues. Lots of tissues:).
Pfffew those video's made me cry! You're an amazing girlfriend surprising your boyfriend like that. And your boyfriend is amazing. His reaction when he finds Yoda is priceless. Still having tears in my eyes.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross Awww I’m sorry!!!!! That melts my heart that it made you tear up too. I just watched it myself again and I must apologize, I didn’t realize how much cursing was in the video!! I just read Ryan your post and it made him smile ear to ear! He re-watched the video and ran all through the house to find Yoda and give him a kiss
0186606ee2265e6d64fa8bdd5f8ecf81.jpg

I loved reading your names for your quad squad! I especially love where Toa’s name came from. Jade is so lucky to have had you adopt her. How could the breeder not have bonded with such a lovely sweet girl like Jade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Toa and Ross Aw your whole crew has great backstories to their names! I love that they all have names that attribute to their individuality.

I also don’t think Ross is too common! I very much love pet names that are common people names, lol. :happy: Not sure why, but it always makes me smile when I would go to the dog park with all the Baxters, Barkleys and Oreos, then out of no where, I hear someone calling for Jake. :smug::smuggrin::LOL: In fact, was very fond of the name Calvin for a sphynx, which actually means bald!! However, when I saw Kenzo, I knew he was... Kenzo. :cat:

Back