Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx names...

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am really curious about how everyone's Sphynxie nick names & registered names came to be. Here are mine:

Rupert "Commando Kitty" - I have always liked the name Rupert from childhood. When I was a little girl I had one of those talking bears that would tell a story and the name of the bear was Rupert. Up until now I have never had a pet that the name fit. For Rupert's registered name, I wanted a name that reflected one of Rupert's physical traits. I came up with Commando as it is slang for having no underwear on.

Orion "Lady San Man's Gremlin" - My husband picked Orion's name as he was the only one out of the whole litter who was very hunter like. Even now he would be the one out of the house that would likely show up with a mouse if one ever came into the house. My hubby wanted to incorporate Orion's dad's (Mr. San Man) and mother's name (Sum Sum Lady) into his registered name along with "gremlin" as that's what they look like when they are perched high looking down at you.

:Laugh:

susi794

Staff member
Moody's name is Mahmoody Blue--Mahmoody because it sounded Arabic and the Blue part because of his coloring Also I liked the Moody Blues band.
Habibi is Arabic for sweetheart.
Othie Marie was born on my mother's birthday so is named in honor of her. Mom's name was Othela Mae, but we used to playfully call her Othie Marie--we call everybody_____ Marie. Moody Marie, Habibi Marie, etc,
Dulcinea was named after DonQuixote's lady love, Dulcinea.
Boo is really named Knightsrealm Sir Booberry/ Boo because he arrived here on Halloween.
AngelicBaby Little Lulu is Lulu's name--her name was Shania but I didn't like it--she just looked like a Little Lulu to me--Little Lulu was a favorite comic book/cartoon of mine when I was a kid.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Moody's name is Mahmoody Blue--Mahmoody because it sounded Arabic and the Blue part because of his coloring Also I liked the Moody Blues band.
Habibi is Arabic for sweetheart.
Othie Marie was born on my mother's birthday so is named in honor of her. Mom's name was Othela Mae, but we used to playfully call her Othie Marie--we call everybody_____ Marie. Moody Marie, Habibi Marie, etc,
Dulcinea was named after DonQuixote's lady love, Dulcinea.
Boo is really named Knightsrealm Sir Booberry/ Boo because he arrived here on Halloween.
AngelicBaby Little Lulu is Lulu's name--her name was Shania but I didn't like it--she just looked like a Little Lulu to me--Little Lulu was a favorite comic book/cartoon of mine when I was a kid.
Thanks for sharing Susi, I enjoyed reading your response, I love how the names have special meanings. Mahmoody is very Arabic. When my husband and I were in Syria last year, one of the hostel owner's name was Mahmood and he was darling sweet, real nice guy. Awww, so neat that Othie Marie was born the same day as your mom <3. Rupert and Orion were born on my b-day. I just love all of them, they are sweet names and for great reasons! :Smile:

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sherlock is my little kitty. He got his name because it means "Bright hair". My husband and I thought it would be funny. Oh and then it turned out he was a "fuzzy" so it ended up working out :) We also like Nofuratu but Sherlock works.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I was going to name my first sphynx Cleopatra or Ramses
I wanted a Egyptian name even though sphynx come from Canada.
Cleos name is Cleopatra Egyptian Queen
Wrinkles is Wrinkles because she is a sphynx.
Her name is Wrinkled Velvet and Polars name is Mystic Polar Bare.
I got Polar from my TICA mentor.
The bare is because he is a sphynx.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie - aka - Snuffleupagus was named by my breeder. I didn't find Snuffie until she was 8 mths old and her name fits her so well we decided to keep it once she came home. My breeder told me that her Grandson had actually named her..so cute. He did very well!

SoBe was reserved prior to ever even being born. When she was born she was mis sexed and we thought she was a boy and was originally going to name her Stitch.....once she had developed more and it was found she was actually a girl we said - So Be it...and thus her name is SoBe!!! AND we like the SoBe drink!! lol It fits her totally.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wanted a cute and funny name that the vets would have to say out loud:LOL:
So when I saw Nudie at the airport this older lady said "what a naked little sweetheart you have there" and I instantly said that's it "Nudie Patootie" (like the old saying my sweet patootie). My soon to be baby "Skinderella" came from the lair's "Mews2much" suggestion and I love it because she is a naked little princess:BigSmile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When Pedda came home with me she didn't have a name. She still wasn't named several days later when my brother brought my little nieces over to meet her. They had just been to see the movie "Pinocchio." I asked the nieces what I should name her and they both said "Gepetto." I said no, that's a boy's name and she's a little girl. So they said "GepettA." Which got shortened to "Petta" within minutes. But the T sound was harsh and I'm a sloppy linguist so it got changed to Pedda.

TotenEngel

Banned
Smeagol had his name before we even saw him!! I knew I wanted a sphynxy and that would be his name lol, his pedigree name is Anatollja Rizjick (which I can't even pronounce properly!) but it means 'ginger' :)
Smeagol turned out to be perfect in the end:
In The Two Towers, Samwise Gamgee named the good personality "Slinker", and the bad personality "Stinker"
So, he is quite commonly known as Stinker due to his horrid kitty farts!

Ella_B

Lairian
Berlin's registered name is Callista because she came from the 'C' litter. It's a lovely name, but I knew people would shorten it to Callie, which I'm less partial to for her, so I decided to think of something else. Settled on Berlin because I have German blood on my mom's side (but didn't want to call her anything impossible to pronounce) and it suits her. It's a nice word to say - and can't be shortened to anything really.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Teeka's actual name is "Chartik" which is apparently Indonesian for "Cutie". She was named by my sister and her BFF (who were her original owners).

Apparently Teeka is registered, but I can't remember her whole name other than "Morgana Le Fey" was part of it. The cattery she is from is no longer in business it seems.

I wanted to rename her, but since she was already a couple of years old, AND was in a new home, it didn't seem fair. So she's "Teeka" or "Teeka-bean", "Teeka-boo", "Monkey-pants", "evil little witch" etc. :)

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Darwin is renamed from his cattery name. I usually do that to get a personal name. Namir got to keep his though as it is pretty nice and he reacts well to it. Namir means Leopard and is an ancient name from the area of what is today Israel.

Now Darwin is my second sphynx, the first one was named Streak.
I named him Darwin as sphynxes are an ultimate proof of evolution. With selection new races emerge, often from natrually occuring mutations.
Like blond hair in humans. It's a mutation that happened and by selection got to spread very fast.

As an atheist I like the name Darwin a bit extra for a nakeed as their very existance makes it a bit hard to accept creation as is written in da book.
:Wink:

Simpsons made a pretty nice exemple of how I always reasoned around this. :LOL:
Replacement String:
Now to not cause a flaming discussion I have to say that I do accept and encourage people to believe what they want. Have many muslim and christian friends. I do like to discuss these things though. :D

Last edited by a moderator: