Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx peeing everywhere

KitKat121

Lairian
Hi guys! I've been having a very unpleasant problem with my Grimley, and I think I know a solution but I wanted to make sure.

Grimley has been peeing (sometimes just small amounts, other times full blown) mostly on either clothes my family has left on the floor or on everyones bed spreads. He has yet to be neutered, I think thats the solution but i wanted to make sure that this would stop after i do so, which I plan on doing soon. His litter box is clean all the time, so I can't find any other reason as to why this is happening.

Thanks guys!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@KitKat121 Hopefully neutering will take care of this. Book his neuter ASAP so it does not become behavioral. You need to thoroughly clean every and any area he has peed on with an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle, otherwise even after neutering they still might continue to pee in these places. You should speak to your vet and ask them to take a look and make sure it is not a UTI (urinary tract infection) as well. This can become serious quickly, especially in males. Be sure to remind your vet not to use Ketamine for the anesthesia when he is neutered as it is dangerous to use with this breed. Keep us updated.

This info might also help Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box
Patti

KitKat121

Lairian
@KitKat121 Hopefully neutering will take care of this. Book his neuter ASAP so it does not become behavioral. You need to thoroughly clean every and any area he has peed on with an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle, otherwise even after neutering they still might continue to Lee in these places. You should speak to your vet to them take a look and make sure it is not a UTI (urinary tract infection) as well. This can become serious quickly, especially in males. Be sure to remind your vet not to use Ketamine for the anesthesia as it is dangerous to use with this breed. Keep us updated.

This info might also help Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box
Patti
Thank you so much Patti! I always feel so confident using this board because of people like you.

Thanks again, and best wishes,
Stephanie

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KitKat121 . Great advice given - and definitely no ketamine -
I always ask/ confirm to use "ISO"

My breeder friend swears by "Anti icky poo" enzyme cleaner -unscented or scented -
Anti-Icky-Poo is Most Recommended by Veterinarians Anti-Icky-Poo.com

it is sold several places on line I bought on a different site but this lists the info

Can add it to the laundry too-
I never heard of this funny na,e stuff but it has amazing reviews and the unscented is supposedly stronger -
It's online - I have never seen it in stores

(I got the unscented gallon for $35 free shipping. - lasts forever -it can be used for all kinds of odors too- I add a little to laundering dog beds just to freshen )

when I adopted my kitties I bought the feliway diffuser for calming adjusting and - the 6 pack refill for $59 no frills packaging saves $ On Amazon - but , to be a nay sayer I personally did not see a difference - he is still a fresh rough playing kitty !

Please give Grimley head smooches from me and keep us updated!

Last edited:

KitKat121

Lairian
Thank you everyone! I scheduled his appointment for next week. I already feel so guilty knowing I'll won't be able to feed him after midnight so he'll go without water :( but I know it's for the best! Also, Grimley bites, a lot. You can't expect to try and cuddle him without him trying to bite you (in a playful way, I think) and it's obviously not pleasant. Is this just a kitten thing as well?

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would double check with your vet but it very rare that before a procedure the vet would say no water. Being hydrated is very important.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@nudieluvr, due to the risk of aspiration, it's always NPO 8 hours before a procedure, NPO means nothing by mouth, including water. Anesthesia suppresses reflexes and can induce vomitting. If the cat were to choke on water from the stomach, he could aspirate it and asphyxiate. Usually they say nothing after midnight.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It could be hormonal, but I'd also look into doing a UA (urineanalysis) on him, he could have crystals, causing him to pee everywhere. Do you feed dry or wet food? My Simba peed everywhere, crying and howling, I took him to the doctor and he had crystals.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@nudieluvr , as a nurse, I strongly advise against that. I can't dispute what your vet tells you; but I can tell you the latest practice is NPO 8hrs before, or after midnight, whatever comes first. This includes water, sometimes they will allow a sip of water for meds, that is it. It depends on the med, and the procedure. Anything in the stomach can lead to aspiration and asphyxiation. If your vet allows that, I strongly suggest you get a second opinion of your own to validate his practices, but I doubt you'll find one. It's an unnecessary risk.

shugzy110

Lairian
my one-year-old cat is peeing everywhere! on the floors my stove top and kitchen counter are his favorite spot to go lately and on the dining room table. does neutering help with the peeing problem I'm having.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@shugzy110 , dont hesitate to start your own post with any questions, so it does not get lost in another thread so we can all chime in .. we are here for you

welcome to the lair family.. be sure to check out the link

also a breeder recommended anti icky poo. (comes in scented unscented I got online/ chewy.)

I kept on hand when I adopted a one year old male that I had neutered asap. hugs n head smooches.

Attachments

• anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@shugzy110 yes neutering can help for sure…but it can take a couple of weeks for the hormones to totally calm down after the procedure. The quicker you get it done the better to help avoid this improper elimination from becoming a behavioral issue.

Back