Sphynx personality | Sphynxlair

Sphynx personality

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Nicky00, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Nicky00

Nicky00Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $988.06
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi! So I am thinking about getting a sphynx cat for my dad.littke bit of backstory, I brought my sphynx cat home for the summer(I'm a college student) and my dad just fell in love with her! His face lights up everytime she does her usual antics and he asks about her all the time. He is an animal lover at heart but doesn't feel that he has the time to properly take care of a dog. He isn't a furry cat person because they are often aloof and he wants a cuddle animal. He definitely needs a pet though because he is officially an empty nester and he will soon be going through radiation treatment. A pet at home instead of a empty house will keep his spirit up. Solution? Get him a sphynx! But my only concern is that I've only dealt with one sphynx cat before, my own, so I'm not sure her characteristics are typical of sphynx cats.My nut, is high energy, affectionate, demanding,and a social butterfly. She has a big personality. So are there any timid,shy, or aloof sphynxs out there? Any none affectionate ones? Or is she pretty standard?

• Like Like x 1

• Condo commando

Condo commandoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $14,732.40
      Ratings:
      +1,132
      I think yours is pretty typical. I had Siamese cats before and they are very active too. Maybe not quite as much as a Sphynx but the Siamese are very, very talkative so they were in my business all the time too lol.

Indoor cats give you a mirror image of what you give them - if you pay them attention they will return it. Cats that spend time outside are different because they get their stimulation from birds and whatever else there is going on outside. They don't depend on their humans as much as indoor cats.

Now here is the question you have to answer, is your father willing to take care of this Sphynx? There are people that enjoy having them around but don't necessarily want to be responsible for them. Food for thought.

• Like Like x 2
      • Traci Smith

Traci SmithLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $5,066.16
        Ratings:
        +446
        Niles is my 4th, never had one like him! Lol so they can range, but all of them I have had seem to be snugglers! As Nile sleeps on his tree and not me lol but mostly—- :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Nicky00

Nicky00Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $988.06
        Ratings:
        +78
        I don't think he is against taking care of a pet. He takes great care of Nut. It is more like due to the radiation treatment he will not be able to handle a dog because they need daily maintenance walks, and going outside to use to poop. With the radiation treatment there will be a lot of bad days where he will be incapable of doing those things.and that is unfair to the dog. But with a sphynx the maintenance is more spread out and can be done on his good days. Playing with a kitty is much less strenuous as well.Plus they can be left in the house for a few hours with no problem unlike dogs where u may come home to a destroyed house :). I'm going abroad in the spring and he Will be taking care of my four legged baby while I'm gone. So there will be a trial run first.

• Like Like x 2
        • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $194,181.29
          Ratings:
          +17,003
          Your sphynx sound like a typical sphynx! So I'm sure your dad will fall in lovd with another sphynx too.

Reading about what you write of the situation of your dad, a sphynx seems like a very good pet for him.

Maybe you can surprise him but still let him having part in which sphynx? You choose a breeder with a litter, then tell your dad you want a buddy for your sphynx. Ask him to help you pick a buddy. Which kitten of the litter would he choose? Which colour? Which personality? If you're able to visit the breeder and the litter then take him with you and let him play and cuddle the kitten. Ask him again which one he likes most. Then say: dad, surprise, this one is yours. And let him think about it for a few days so he isn't forced. Still a big surprise but also makimg sure he really wants it.

I think it's awesome of you to want to give your father such a loving buddy!

• Like Like x 2
          • JSal

JSalSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $4,382.20
            Ratings:
            +412
            • Cow
            • butterfly 4
            Your sphynx sounds like most sphynx. Affectionate
            and energetic (like a dog). They really are wonderful pets.