Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx/ Pet First Aid Kit.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do you have a First Aid Kit, or Meds box just for your pets. If so, what do you have in it?

I'm guilty of not having an extensive one. I have a box with:

Scissors.
Tweezers.
Gauze/ bandage.
Thermometer.
Hydrogen Peroxide.
Eye droppers and a Pill popper (for the ones that hate taking tablets)
Antibiotic ointment.
Kitten Milk/ Baby bottles etc
Tinned natural Pumpkin.
Lysine tablets and Lysine Powder.
Echinacea

Maybe Admin or Ilovemysphynx could make a 'sticky' thread with everyone's contributions. :ThumbsUp:

What do you have in yours?

*Disclaimer: obviously if needed call a vet but an emergency kit is always helpful*

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have a first aid kit but I did get at free book with the "free" kitten stuff the vet gives you on the first visit. ("Free" in quotes since that's the only time I've ever gotten anything for no charge and I've spent more on her visits than I've ever spent on myself! And the vet prob got it for free!)

I almost threw the book out but it has a section on first aid where I learned things I hadn't considered or thought of. I'm sure all this info is on the internet somewhere but if any one wants to see it here I can scan the book.

Topics are:
"Treat an unconscious cat", "How to lift an injured cat", "How to stop bleeding", "Fight wounds", "Action for poison", "Poison know-how", "Treating a sting", "Abscess Aid", "Soothing a scald", "Help in cold weather". Obviously in all cases calling the vet and a visit is in order but the tips are centered around involving the vet as well.

Last edited:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's all you got in your med kit? Sheeze! You're missing a few things like:

enema bulb
bed pan
catheter
syringes

Hehehe, I'm only joking. I have a box with cue tips. Does that count? You really do have a good idea. Are you selling your kits?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's all you got in your med kit? Sheeze! You're missing a few things like:

enema bulb
bed pan
catheter
syringes

Hehehe, I'm only joking. I have a box with cue tips. Does that count? You really do have a good idea. Are you selling your kits?

:LOL: Do you know I haven't got q-tips :Dizzy: Bad Kerry.

I was going to thank your post, but I'm not sure now :LOL:

Yes, when they finally arrive. I'm on kitty countdown.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can scan the book.

Topics are:
"Treat an unconcious cat", "How to lift an injured cat", "How to stop bleeding", "Fight wounds", "Action for poison", "Poison know-how", "Treating a sting", "Abscess Aid", "Soothing a scald", "Help in cold weather". Obviously in all cases calling the vet and a visit is in order but the tips are centered around involving the vet as well.

Forgot to say. Please if you don't mind:Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I actually have 2 of those cone things for the neck:Question: Not sure why because I have never seen A animal keep one on for more then 2 seconds.
Thread for umbilical cords
Rubber gloves
ribbon in case I have to mark A kitten if they look similar at first.
note pad and paper for time of birth ect.

susi794

Staff member
I have a kit with the following in it:
scissors/nail clippers
thermometer
ringers lactate (for dehydration)
sterile saline (for irrigation of wounds or mixing meds)
10cc syringes (without needles)
3cc syringes (with needles)
1cc syringes (with and without needles)
various eye droppers and pipettes
lysine: tablets, powder, paste and treats
mortar and pestle (for pill crushing)
baby bottles, nipples and milk replacement formula
opthalmic ointment (neomycin, polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone)
nose relief (homeopathic nasal treatment to clear stuffy noses)
cotton balls
Q-tips
Epi Otic
warming rice socks
comfort warming pads
extra baby blankets
health records for all of my cats ( so I can easily find them in case of emergency)
vet and emergency vet hospital phone numbers

Last edited:

susi794

Staff member
I don't have a first aid kit but I did get at free book with the "free" kitten stuff the vet gives you on the first visit. ("Free" in quotes since that's the only time I've ever gotten anything for no charge and I've spent more on her visits than I've ever spent on myself! And the vet prob got it for free!)

I almost threw the book out but it has a section on first aid where I learned things I hadn't considered or thought of. I'm sure all this info is on the internet somewhere but if any one wants to see it here I can scan the book.

Topics are:
"Treat an unconscious cat", "How to lift an injured cat", "How to stop bleeding", "Fight wounds", "Action for poison", "Poison know-how", "Treating a sting", "Abscess Aid", "Soothing a scald", "Help in cold weather". Obviously in all cases calling the vet and a visit is in order but the tips are centered around involving the vet as well.

I'd like a copy of this too!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
First Aid tips from the book attached.

I hope everyone can read them in this format! I also saved it as a .pdf but it is too large to upload via attachments.

If you open it and it comes up with the black window to preview it, click it again so it opens larger.

Oh and ignore the parts that mention FURRRR

Attachments

• unconscious.jpg
    unconscious.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 36
  • lift_bleeding.jpg
    lift_bleeding.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Wound_poison.jpg
    Wound_poison.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 37
  • poisonous.jpg
    poisonous.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
  • sting_abscess.jpg
    sting_abscess.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 34
  • scald_cold.jpg
    scald_cold.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow Susi, you are really prepared. I guess you would be since you had a couple of litters in the last few months. Good peace of mind for potential new parents.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow guys.....I need to get in gear!! I don't know why the thought of the first aid kit for my animals never crossed my mind??? I have one for myself....does that count??:LOL::LOL:

susi794

Staff member
Wow Susi, you are really prepared. I guess you would be since you had a couple of litters in the last few months. Good peace of mind for potential new parents.
Thanks, Mike--got a lot of it since everyone was sick. But I have used all of it.

Brooke

Banned
My Kitty Kit overfloweth...

Everyday stuff:
Q-tips
Baby Wipes
Nail Clippers
Lysine
Taurine
Cosequin (for Helen's arthritis)
Epi-Otic
Feliway
Pill Pockets

Med stuff:
3 ml syringes
1 ml syringes
VAL syrup
Doxycycline
Malaseb spray & pledgets
Terramycin eye ointment
Tobramycin eye drops
Saline eye drops
Chlorhexidine Flush
Benadryl
Pyrantel & Panacur (dewormers)
KMR
Mometamax ear drops
Nutri-Cal
Vet wrap

...& enough other meds to open my own pharmacy...:Surprise:

susi794

Staff member
My Kitty Kit overfloweth...

Everyday stuff:
Q-tips
Baby Wipes
Nail Clippers
Lysine
Taurine
Cosequin (for Helen's arthritis)
Epi-Otic
Feliway
Pill Pockets

Med stuff:
3 ml syringes
1 ml syringes
VAL syrup
Doxycycline
Malaseb spray & pledgets
Terramycin eye ointment
Tobramycin eye drops
Saline eye drops
Chlorhexidine Flush
Benadryl
Pyrantel & Panacur (dewormers)
KMR
Mometamax ear drops
Nutri-Cal
Vet wrap

...& enough other meds to open my own pharmacy...:Surprise:

Ok, what is VAL syrup? and chlorhexidine flush? I've wondered if it's ok to give cats benadryl--I know it's safe for dogs. What's the dosage for cats? Also, what is Nutri-Cal--a vitamin? And vet wrap?
Oh, I forgot, I also have doxycycline, and azithromycin but would like to pick up some injectible long acting penicillin.

I think this is a very interesting thread--thanks for starting it, Kerry!

Brooke

Banned
Ok, what is VAL syrup? and chlorhexidine flush? I've wondered if it's ok to give cats benadryl--I know it's safe for dogs. What's the dosage for cats? Also, what is Nutri-Cal--a vitamin? And vet wrap?
Oh, I forgot, I also have doxycycline, and azithromycin but would like to pick up some injectible long acting penicillin.

I think this is a very interesting thread--thanks for starting it, Kerry!

VAL Syrup is a highly palatable syrup and a good source of B-vitamins. It's sweet, so really good for mixing with bitter medicine. I specifically use it when giving Doxycycine. I have a formula, Susi, I can PM you, for Doxy that will save you a LOT of $$. VAL syrup is also good for animals with low blood sugar that need a quick pick-me-up.

Chlorhexidine flush is an antimicrobial (fights bacteria, yeast & viruses), gentle, astringent cleanser for wounds, cuts & scrapes. Also good for cleaning ears. I use it when one of the cats gets a mysterious wound and want to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Benadryl is safe for cats, but obviously use it under advice of a vet. Dose is 1 mg per lb every 8 hours. It may cause drowsiness. Just like for dogs, it's used to treat allergies.

Nutri-Cal is a high calorie vitamin supplement for cats (they also make a formula for dogs). It comes in a tube of gel, available OTC at most pet stores. Good for cats that are not eating or need an extra energy boost. I used this when I was taking care of a mom and kittens and mama was run down from the kittens sucking her dry.

Vet Wrap is the self-sticking bandage tape (like ace bandages) they use in vet's offices that comes in all different colors. I haven't had to use it for any reason, and hopefully never will!

Back