Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx pregnancy

kirstenu21

Lairian
I have my first sphynx kitty and I love her! She's nine months old and in her first heat cycle. I. Want her to have one litter of kittens before we get her spayed. I have never bred before, but my husband used to work with wildlife rescue and knows a little bit about animal pregnancy...
Anything I should know about having a pregnant sphynx or things to look for in a stud?

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know much other than I hear there's a lot more to it than you think. I'm sure someone will chime in :)

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you got breeding rights? If so your breeder should be able to help you out with some hints and tips :)

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know that having just one litter of kittens and not spaying her before she is a year old can increase her chances for mammary cancer and ovarian cancer.

So breeding is a lot more difficult than people think. It is not always in the best interest of the animal for it to have babies whether it be male or female.

If you do decide to breed her please make sure you do it with a genetically compatible stud. I have had a dog that had double recessive genes and he was blind and deaf and had an underdeveloped immune system and passed away at the very young age of 3 all because his breeder wanted more blue Merle Aussies so she bred two blue Merles together. Every pup in the litter of twelve was a Merle with two that carried double recessive genes. I know that the gene that makes sphynx cats hairless can either be recessive or dominant depending on what breed yours is.

For instance you cannot breed a Donskoy to a Canadian Sphynx.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Please please please don't do this unless you have a mentor, extra thousands for emergency vet bills, and of course breeding rights. It doesn't sound like you would intentionally put your kitty or her kittens at risk knowingly, but may do so inadvertently. Breeding is a very serious and huge responsibility. Evem if things are fine after birth, breeding without testing and knowledge of bloodlines can and will cause heartache and health problems down the road for those kittens.

I apologize if I sound mean, but I have seen SO many people get into this for the experience or the money. The only right reason to be a breeder is for the betterment of the breed, which involves more than just finding a stud.

kirstenu21

Lairian
We bought her from a couple that gave us breeding rights if we chose to breed her.
Breeding is something I am not doing for money, but to watch baby kittens grow and thrive and to make others as happy as I am with a sphynx in their lives.
I have been in contact with her breeders, but I'm having issues with communication because they are both blind and hard of hearing. Lovely people and I'm so glad we bought from them, but it does make it more difficult.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Please please please scan for HCM before you breed her.. make sure your breeder scanned her parents for HCM, and make sure the stud has been scanned for HCM.

It is a horrible disease and you want to be as sure as possible that you are not giving the kits an increased chance of developing this disease. If you are not aware of it, look it up and do some reading on it.

If you are finding her breeders difficult to work with, then you could also reach out to other breeders in your area. I'm sure a good breeder would be happy to help IF they get the impression you are breeding for the right reasons and being responsible.

I would do lots of reading, learning, research before breeding as like others said it is not so simple with sphynx.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Plus, besides what others have said, if you find the male to breed her to, from a breeder, then, they should
be able to help you. But, most reputable breeders are not going to let their male breeders just breed anyones
cat. So, if you do find someone, they will either be for the money and no care about the health or
know that your baby girl has been scanned for Hcm and has no health issues, plus have a exceptionally
huge heart. The ones with a huge heart is hard to find.
Unless, I was planning on being a breeder, I would not chance breeding her. To many things could go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back