Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

sphynx-proofing bathroom?

beccerzz11

Lairian
Hi!! I am preparing for my first sphynx to come home in January. I am working on cat-proofing the apartment, which I've gotten lots of good advice on. I'm wondering how specifically to sphynx-proof my bathroom? I am a bit of a helicopter mama and want to make sure there's nothing he has access to in there that can hurt him (meds, makeup, etc.) any advice on what's okay to leave out and what to keep away? I'm trying to be as rational as possible.... :)

Thanks!

meandmytwo

Lairian
I keep the bathroom door closed to keep them out. They are only allowed in there when I’m in there so I can supervise. No privacy! lol
Besides that, I actually keep everything in drawers anyway and pull those things out as needed. Even the garbage. I do set out a few things for them to knock around when we’re in there together :).

Yoda mom

Staff member
@beccerzz11 Hello and welcome to the lair family ! Can't wait for your gotcha day updated! Kudos to you for Sphynx proofing :) it's a lifetime adventure of Sphynx proofing

Enjoy your forums with us! The info center has lots of great threads to amd you can use the upper right search bubble for specifics too
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Members will certainly chime in and hopeful om your other post a MA vet recommendation - can you use your breeders vet ? Local?

Your avatar pic is precious!

Cat proofing bathroom:

Toilet seats - down always! Tell guests too! My boy fell in when a guest supposedly accidently left the seat up ...and my boy had a lovely expensive vet visit -

Toilet paper - oh my this is a chronic cat proofing for many members including mine!
No extra rolls out - and the roll on the wall I actually have to cover amd tuck I'm sides with a face cloth or my girl will munch away like a hamster amd pull it all off the roll!
So with that - no perfumed toilet paper here

hairstyling tools - never turn on to warm up and walk away! They will sniff and touch!
I actually use a mug - I put the heat appliance in it , place in dry sink amd ise thst way so I can show them away! When dome I unplug and take to the other bathroom to cool with the door closed !

Hairbands , hair accessories - all need to be put in closed lidded jars or drawers -
Mine steal! Many Sphynx swallow amd have had expemsive surgery

Razors - mine will jump up and steal razor blades fro, the shower stall shelf - so - use and store easy too

Makeup- more than once my sphnyx have stolen eyeliners etc - Toby will run off with his nail clipper if I leave it out
I use a little makeup bag or store makeup items in drawer - caution here too bcz mine will open the drawers! Some members use child proofing gadgets for cabinets toilets , etc

If you use a space heater in the bathroom- that was a no go here -
They knocked it over ! And the automatic shutoff failed! So I will never ever use a space heater bcz of fire hazard plus they could burn themselves

It's like having a permanent 2 yr old :)

Also kitchen stoves tops , ovens , dryers (check before turning on !)
, floor heat vents etc should be kitty proofed for life

I actually have to put my kitties I'm my bedroom if I cook om the stove top to prevent them from exploring and burning themselves - I let them out omce it cools
Watch fire places amd or wood stoves too
If you see or crochet - put away
If you use cst pole toys - kitty proof those too! They eat e bells strings etc
So with pole toys like Dabird I lock up if not in use

Hope these help
Surely more members will chime in on kitty proofing :)

Look forward to to updates on your gotcha! Name ideas ?

beccerzz11

Lairian
I keep the bathroom door closed to keep them out. They are only allowed in there when I’m in there so I can supervise. No privacy! lol
Besides that, I actually keep everything in drawers anyway and pull those things out as needed. Even the garbage. I do set out a few things for them to knock around when we’re in there together :).
I was thinking of doing this as well!! Thanks so much :)

beccerzz11

Lairian
@beccerzz11 Hello and welcome to the lair family ! Can't wait for your gotcha day updated! Kudos to you for Sphynx proofing :) it's a lifetime adventure of Sphynx proofing

Enjoy your forums with us! The info center has lots of great threads to amd you can use the upper right search bubble for specifics too
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Members will certainly chime in and hopeful om your other post a MA vet recommendation - can you use your breeders vet ? Local?

Your avatar pic is precious!

Cat proofing bathroom:

Toilet seats - down always! Tell guests too! My boy fell in when a guest supposedly accidently left the seat up ...and my boy had a lovely expensive vet visit -

Toilet paper - oh my this is a chronic cat proofing for many members including mine!
No extra rolls out - and the roll on the wall I actually have to cover amd tuck I'm sides with a face cloth or my girl will munch away like a hamster amd pull it all off the roll!
So with that - no perfumed toilet paper here

hairstyling tools - never turn on to warm up and walk away! They will sniff and touch!
I actually use a mug - I put the heat appliance in it , place in dry sink amd ise thst way so I can show them away! When dome I unplug and take to the other bathroom to cool with the door closed !

Hairbands , hair accessories - all need to be put in closed lidded jars or drawers -
Mine steal! Many Sphynx swallow amd have had expemsive surgery

Razors - mine will jump up and steal razor blades fro, the shower stall shelf - so - use and store easy too

Makeup- more than once my sphnyx have stolen eyeliners etc - Toby will run off with his nail clipper if I leave it out
I use a little makeup bag or store makeup items in drawer - caution here too bcz mine will open the drawers! Some members use child proofing gadgets for cabinets toilets , etc

If you use a space heater in the bathroom- that was a no go here -
They knocked it over ! And the automatic shutoff failed! So I will never ever use a space heater bcz of fire hazard plus they could burn themselves

It's like having a permanent 2 yr old :)

Also kitchen stoves tops , ovens , dryers (check before turning on !)
, floor heat vents etc should be kitty proofed for life

I actually have to put my kitties I'm my bedroom if I cook om the stove top to prevent them from exploring and burning themselves - I let them out omce it cools
Watch fire places amd or wood stoves too
If you see or crochet - put away
If you use cst pole toys - kitty proof those too! They eat e bells strings etc
So with pole toys like Dabird I lock up if not in use

Hope these help
Surely more members will chime in on kitty proofing :)

Look forward to to updates on your gotcha! Name ideas ?
Thanks SO much for the response!!!! this is so helpful! I may just leave the door closed and only have him in the bathroom during baths and when he can be supervised with me. I'll still do cat-proofing in there to keep him safe, though! His name is going to be Wybie!! I get him January 4th and I cannot WAIT! My breeder is unfortunately not local, but I will be calling a bunch of vet places :) thanks again so much for the help!

Back