Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Proofing tips

Yoda mom

Staff member
WIth so many of our sphynx getting into trouble eating things they should not etc.

what are some of the things you have had to sphynx proof and how?

my top 10

1. toilet paper... my brats eat it off the roll! had to put the rolls in a small wicker two draw cabinet
2. plastic grocery bags... have to put away immediately in the garage, bread in a bread box, and also keep the dog pooper scooper bag container hidden
3. Hair bands... I keep in a lidded jar
4. razor blades ...have to put away, cannot even leave on the upper shower ledge
5. Dabird toy or any toy with strings... supervised use and put in a closet afterwards
6. dryer..have to double check washer and dryer each use
7. door dashing bad habit... trained to the smart cat climber for meet n greets
8. breakables ...moved...sigh ..wanted to use the putty stickem but they want to try to eat that too
9. candles ...they want to touch them so keep them on back area of the stove now and supervised
10. dental floss... use and toss in garage trash

Kelnym

Lairian
My Cornish Rex is obsessed with hair elastics, so I need to hide those.

The Sphynx doesn't try to eat too much, but he does like to steal things and then the dog tries to eat them. The tag team effort has destroyed a night guard, the night guard case, a set of head phones, a makeup brush, a comb, and a watch band.

Sphynx is the paws, poodle is the teeth.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I guess I have the perfect child. She never tries to eat any nonfood items.

Oh, she does like to chew on the ears of my glasses if I leave them laying out. Not to eat though. Just to chew.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ditto on the hair bands the dryer/ dishwasher checking, the floss and the ornaments. In fact we don't have any ornaments now. Or house plants for that matter, as Kiwi turns veggie and tries to eat them. Her eyes grow wide if any flowers are brought into the house, they may as well be a big cooked chicken. Also leaves, if any get trod into the house she will try to eat them, so they are picked up immediately. Funnily enough, or boy Wilson doesn't have the plant issue.

Vermilion

Lairian
I just had my first toilet paper issue with my kitten recently, my room mate came home and the entire roll was all over the bathroom and my cat was laying in it lol. We just put a hair clip on the side of the roll now, no more surprises haha

Attachments

• IMG_8624.jpg
    IMG_8624.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 55

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Vermilion oooh my!

I have toilet paper rascals here too! they not only roll it off , they chomp on it..
thanks for sharing the great hairclip tip for non TP munchers.
I had to get a small wicker box to keep the TP hidden

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bosskitty excited for you! can't wait for gotcha day pics!
yes, kitty proofing is for life... even cat toys! I never use dabird toy or similar out.. because they wlll munch on the string!
I have to hide hairbands, razor blades, put used dental floss out in the trash, keep toilet lids down, double triple check washer and dryer before use.. they are busy buddies !

Breeze

Lairian
No more leaving glass cups on our hard surface countertops. Angus knocked a couple over and they smashed. The worst was when he broke one jumping straight up over it then landed back on the counter with the broken sharp pieces of the glass everywhere. It was a miracle he never cut or sliced his legs or feet.

Back