Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Sick and Acting Abnormal

DivaMom

Lairian
I took my Sphynx to the vet on Wednesday because she has been sneezing. Then she started eating and drinking less. I thought she had a bad cold -- sneezing, runny eyes, sleeping a lot. The vet said her temperature was 98.1, which really scared me. Then I found out she lost almost 2 pounds since her checkup in September 2018. The vet put her on Cefpodoxime once daily and Tobramycin eye drops 3 times a day. On Friday, she went back to the vet. Same temperature, and now she is on subcutaneous fluids. She has not peed or pooped for almost 24 hours, and I am very concerned. She also has not ever been this lethargic. My cat is usually a little stand-offish, but she has been clinging to me like a dryer sheet. I would appreciate input from everyone who has some idea of what is going on with my beloved cat.

Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DivaMom ,(((Hugs))) and healing vibes for your baby

Is there anything she could have ingested ? Plants , string, yarn etc ?
Is she still sneezing ? Runny eyes?

Are you doing subQ fluids at home ?

Eating ? Drinking ?
Definitely would contact vet

Following closely for updates

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending healing vibes to your girl. Did the vet made a scan to see there's no blockage?
If she doesn't start to poop or pee within a few hours, I would go back to the vet.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Did the vet suggest a full blood panel? That's usually the first diagnostic test. The full panel measures a lot of things. If any of the values are abnormal then you can take it from there. For example, I had a cat that had very high calcium and that explained why she didn't want to eat. She had nausea so it made sense. Once you know you can treat it.

I'm not saying this is what your cat has....there are many things that cause loss of appetite and lethargy. My cat had lymphoma so that was the underlying cause. Just saying a blood test can help a lot.

Last edited:

DivaMom

Lairian
@DivaMom ,(((Hugs))) and healing vibes for your baby

Is there anything she could have ingested ? Plants , string, yarn etc ?
Is she still sneezing ? Runny eyes?

Are you doing subQ fluids at home ?

Eating ? Drinking ?
Definitely would contact vet

Following closely for updates

Yes, Pink is still sneezing and her eyes are weeping. And yes, we are doing subQ fluids at home -- which she hates. I am not crazy about it either. She has started eating better, but still is not drinking as much water as she usually does. I am doing follow-up calls with the vet each day, per his request. She has been at the vet's office twice in three days. If she doesn't start peeing more pretty soon, I am going to take her again. She had a blood panel done, but nothing showed up. She had a low temp both visits though.

DivaMom

Lairian
Thanks for the healing vibes. They must be working because she has perked up a lot over the weekend. However, she still isn't peeing as much as she used to. But then again, she isn't drinking as much either. I am keeping a close eye on her bathroom habits.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
With sub q fluids they should pee. I'm trying to remember how much sub q fluids I used to give one of my cats....I think 100 mils per day and she would definitely pee. However, she may not drink as much as before because now she's getting the sub q which is hydration just the same.

Back