Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx soap

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just curious as to what everyone uses to bath their kitties with and take a little poll, would you sooner buy soap made for a sphynx and organic or would you continue using what your using now? I use baby shampoo because i have that on hand all the time.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've been looking for soap made for sphynx does this breeder have a site that you can purchase soap from?

skudra

Lairian
I also use baby shampoo! there's no specific sphynx shampoo at our shops, so I think this is the best choice, because other pet shampoos are for fured pets + I have a baby at home, who can also use the same. using baby shampoo, I'm shure it won't hurt his skin (I'm also checking the ingredients, no parfume etc.). If there was for sphynx one, I'd probably buy that (at least I'm willing to try one).

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We also use baby shampoo I was using A at shampoo for sensitave skin but like the baby shampoo better and it smells great!

Brooke

Banned
I've always used baby shampoo on Walter and it works great. I also used it with my first sphynx with great results...

But, I just gave Helen her first bath with baby shampoo on Sunday night and I think it was too harsh for her. Yesterday her skin was all dry and flaky. Literally, when i picked her up , I had to wash my hands, because her skin was flaking off everywhere. Her skin wasn't red or anything and she wasn't itchy, just very dry and flaky from the bath.

Luckily I noticed it yesterday at the vet's office, so he gave me some stuff called HyLyt Bath Oil, a spray that contains essential fatty acids you can spray on between baths or add to the bath water. We put it on her at the vets office and it solved the problem. She's not greasy, but her skin is nice and soft and not flaking off anymore...and she smells like coconut!

I've never been able to find any shampoo specifically for sphynx cats. Every cat shampoo bottle I look at advertises clean, fluffy, shiny fur! I don't want that!! :LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I generally use Dawn dishsoap. It's degreasing. So, I can get away with bathing them 1-2 times a month with a soap that breaks up all the grime and washes it away.

When we adopted Buck and Buffy, they sent us with an organics shampoo that isn't worth crap. I wound up using it on my dog because it didn't break up any gunk on their bodies or their nail beds.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried organic shampoo as well someone gave my husband some to try in hopes that we would order from her, yuk it worked for crap smell was not good and did not clean well! I have never thought of dish soap good idea for the toe gook but I must say I love the baby shampoo smell!:Adore:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use a shampoo from my vet's office. It's expensive but it smells like coconuts and vanilla so I keep getting it.

PitRottMommy

Banned
You can't just say something about a shampoo that smells like coconuts and vanilla and not post the name of it too. Thats just teasing!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had that problem with Haley, too! I now use Dawn on her, and it works well! But if she does get a case of the flakies, I use coconut oil - Works well, and, since it IS coconut, it REALLY makes her smell like a coconut LOL

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
here is the info on it:

GlenHaven H/S shampoo

This treatment applies to the following species: Cats Dogs Manufacturer: Schuyler Medically Formulated Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo For Dog and Cat Use Only GlenHaven H/S Shampoo is an easy to rinse, gentle moisturizing shampoo for cleaning normal, sensitive or dry skin. It utilizes a revolutionary formulation containing essential fatty acids, and no animal by-products or soap. GlenHaven H/S Shampoo assists grooming, aids in restoring natural luster to the coat, is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non polluting and cruelty free.

Contains :Natural Coconut Oil, Safflower Oil (Linoleic acid), Sodium Lactate, and Glycerin as Natural Moisturizing Factors, and Purified Water in a Hypo-Allergenic gentle cleansing system.
Directions

The great thing about it is I totally expected something stinky like most pet shampoos but when I smelled it I actually thought about using it myself. The fact that it said for dogs and cats only is the only thing that stopped me.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
here is the info on it:

GlenHaven H/S shampoo

This treatment applies to the following species: Cats Dogs Manufacturer: Schuyler Medically Formulated Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo For Dog and Cat Use Only GlenHaven H/S Shampoo is an easy to rinse, gentle moisturizing shampoo for cleaning normal, sensitive or dry skin. It utilizes a revolutionary formulation containing essential fatty acids, and no animal by-products or soap. GlenHaven H/S Shampoo assists grooming, aids in restoring natural luster to the coat, is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non polluting and cruelty free.

Contains :Natural Coconut Oil, Safflower Oil (Linoleic acid), Sodium Lactate, and Glycerin as Natural Moisturizing Factors, and Purified Water in a Hypo-Allergenic gentle cleansing system.
Directions

The great thing about it is I totally expected something stinky like most pet shampoos but when I smelled it I actually thought about using it myself. The fact that it said for dogs and cats only is the only thing that stopped me.

To funny ( for dogs and cats only) Bath and body works makes some great human soaps in coconut and vanilla!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Honestly when I was preping for Meecho to come home I had intially bought her baby shampoo by Burts Bees, but the vet thought I should use this one to avoid her skin from becoming to dry. I figured she knew more then I did so why not. When I went to pay for it I was shocked that it was like $25 for a small bottle but figured she was a special cat and deserved. So far her skin hasn't become dry or flaky and she smells so good after I wash her that I just stuck with it.

skudra

Lairian
you all write, how your cats smell so good after baths because of parfume in soap or shampoo, but I bought without any odour, and I just love my boys naturall smell :ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
you all write, how your cats smell so good after baths because of parfume in soap or shampoo, but I bought without any odour, and I just love my boys naturall smell :ThumbsUp:

I love the natural smell of Leo to I actually like the smell of him when he is dirty rather then after his bath but the baby smell is nice for A bit but he does not stay clean for more that 5 minutes anyway! I swear that cat has more oil than any other I don't get it? Max went home last night so I gave Leo A bath to clean up all his scratch's and stuff and today you would never know he had A bath this month:Hysterical:

PitBullLove

Lairian
I've been using the Avalon Organics baby shampoo. It seems to work pretty good on her skin, but not so good on her nails. I've been putting covering her heated bed with baby recieving blankets and washing them often so I don't have to wash the cover on her bed so much so she'll be stuck without it. lol

Back