Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx suckling on her own tits?

sassie

Lairian
We just adopted a 1 year old fixed Sphynx cat. Her back tits sag as if she had kittens - but the owner informed me that she actually sucks them. I am sitting her chilling with her - and litterly she began sucking 1st attaching like a baby getting a nipple. Then she kept sucking quietly nothing was coming out, she wasnt swallowing - but her tit was longer & red after ... she said her vet said it wasnt anything to worry about, it could just be her cork.

Has anyone else experianced there kittys doing this?

Ive been looking for some more information about owning one. Personalitys, personal experiances ect so Im glad I found this forum!

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I haven't had one suck on their tit, but on their skin, giving themselves little hickeys. :LOL:

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
roflmao , ours gives us little hickeys at times, he sucks on us. Ya know at first when we got him its soooooooooo cute !! And now he does it when he is really tired. He latches on to our collarbone and sucks , one time he got my Husbands cheek and i was laughing so hard and he had a little hickey on his cheek !! He is now 11 months old :(

sassie

Lairian
I wonder if/why she choose's this area over others? Im surley going to ask my cat vet about it - but I can tell it has caused her area in the back sag like a cat thats had loads of babys ya know? I'll have to get out the camera. I want to show her off to my non-owning friends that will be drooling with envy :)

I adopted her - as my birthday gift. I am turning the big 40 on the 23rd of this month. Rarley do I allow my b'f to buy me gifts - I always find other ways to use the money. So hes pretty stoked that I said yes to this kitty :) I <3 my boyfriend - I own 3 other cats, a Lhaspo, a ferret & 2 african grey parrots. Were total animal lovers.

I wonder where the breeder she came from was? Is it rude of me to ask her previous owner about that?

sassie

Lairian
Hey Assibassi (spelling) I actually live in NW Ohio - and I know several people in Lavonia, ive never been there but Im praying to go to that awesome avian/pet store I believe its Discount Pets? I also used to go to K9 1-2x's a year to stock up --- that was when i was fostering & such. Now its just us :)

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hey Assibassi (spelling) I actually live in NW Ohio - and I know several people in Lavonia, ive never been there but Im praying to go to that awesome avian/pet store I believe its Discount Pets? I also used to go to K9 1-2x's a year to stock up --- that was when i was fostering & such. Now its just us :)
Discount Pets - is that one in Plymouth ? If it is , its an awesome Store and awesome owners of the store !
I never heard o the K9 store, where is that one at ? We do have a dog, she is older and we want a big nice Dog ( preff sheppard ) next.
Livonia is not far from Ohio... i used to live in Toledo 3 years and go once a year down there to the German Butcher and stock up on things.
Assi is my name - assi'b'assi always been my nick online.
Glad you found us here !!! Tons of info and great People on this site!!!
I am glad you adopted a Sphynx, they are awesome.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:Shok: Wow don't know but since sphinx are like kids, they say maybe she is like a "thumb sucker" I guess its possible she had a litter maybe you can inquire more about her. But I saw another liarian say her baby sucks on them and leaves little hickies? Give her a fuzzy blanket like her own special baby blankie I adopt a kitten at 3 weeks they use to suck on my throw blankets because they reminded them of their mom I suppose.:BigSmile:

VanessaN

Lairian
That does sound a little weird, but whatever. Is yours a Canadian Sphynx or a Donskoy? My Don sphynx just naturally has a fatty, hanging belly. A lot of people think he's had kittens. :) So there's a possibility that your kitty is just a naturally more pot-bellied kitty independent of any, er, suckling habits she may have.

Keep us posted. :)

sassie

Lairian
When i 1st saw the cat I asked if she had kittens. The woman said - oh no, she is only 1 year & was fixed back in Sept (this is verified by the vet records also) I watched her do it tonight - took a short video to show the vet incase he thinks Im nuts lol. But just looking at her from behind only her back 2 are sagging. She came with blankies, toys, food, litter, litter pan - and her vet records she has all of her shots as of Nov 2012 -- so I thought that was really awesome plus she is on Blue buffalo food (something I feed my other 3 cats & ferret)

Assi I thought the discount pet was on some beltway in Lavonia? Maybe Im confusing 2 place's but I know theres a parrot pet shop up near you. K9 companion is over by Detorit idk if its still even open but litterly --- they only marked there products up by maybe 2-3$ instead of the big box mark ups. So it was totally worth a 6 hour round trip drive when I had like 14 parrots, and 8 dogs & 10 cats LOL They carrys supplys for all pets and its so cheap. I think my trunk would weigh more then my car when we'd go LOL! That place was always packed also!

Thanks for the welcome. Im glad I found this place, Im not 1 to adopt with out feeling 100% confidant about a animal. I've always "wanted" a Sphynx, it was a dream -- one I thought Id always have because I can not justify spending loads of money on anything let alone a cat. The oprotunity arrose & I had to jump or I was going to miss out. I drove 5 hours round trip to get her -- and the lady had local ppl calling her the whole way I was driving there to adopt her. It was nerve racking I was so afraid she'd cave into someone else before we made it LOL!

So now, I need to learn all there is to know. Ive done basic care/diet research. Im glad to be here now so I can see how other Sphynx's interact with there owners ect. Im sure I'll have 1,000 more questions :) But thats the only way I'll learn!

Would a thumb be a nice word to call her boobie?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sassie, I have three sphynx boys (all brothers from three consecutive litters). The oldest one turned a year old in February. His name is Liam and Liam sucked on his blankie, but doesn't anymore. Then came his next brother Grayson and Grayson sucked on his big brother Liam (anywhere on Liam) and sucks on the palm side heel of my hands, my inner elbow and my face. Then we got Simon, the baby and he sucks on both of his brothers and on my hands, inner elbow and all over my cheeks, chin and lips. He has made hickies on my lips. All I can say is good thing I had a darker lipstick to wear out for a few days. LOL
I actually love them sucking on me. They do it when we are going to sleep, when I wake up and here and there during the day when they want to cuddle and be comforted.
I'm new on this site and everyone is friendly and helpful.
By the way, where did you adopt your kitty from that you had to drive 5 hours to get there? I have wanted a sphynx for approx. 18 years or so. So when I finally got Liam, I just had to get another and another. LOL I flew to Florida 3X to pick up my boys each time. I didn't want them to fly by themselves in cargo so I had them right there with me on the plane.

sassie

Lairian
I have no idea what you mean by the Candian or the doskey?? I will have to give her a call for sure tomarrow - I didnt think to ask to be honest. :x

I drove to Toronto Ohio area - which is way over catty corner from where i live 1 end of Ohio to the other LoL She seems really great so I think Id do it again :)

Just settling in though - she wasnt to fond of my other cats so we put them in there room for the night early. They go into there playroom for bed time other wise they wake us at 4am getting into things & wanting to be brats :x

We'll see how this young lady handles herself tonight -- we have an open bathroom until the cats can get more acclimated & she can go into there room since. I plan on them all sleeping in the same room no later then Fall.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My kitten sucks on his man bits :Shok: :LOL: whatever makes him happy but he has started doing it less- Thank goodness!
I nearly lost my whole mouthful if water and then almost choked on the rest when I snorted laughing !!! Roflmao that's too funny bless

SarahLovee82

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Starla sucks on blankets, clothes, fingers, but not herself! It seems like a common thing with sphynx to suckle on things/people/other pets. Maybe because they are just more affectionate? I don't really know, but my Starla purrs & kneads SO much more than any other cat I've ever had in my life! My Bentley will occasionally try to nurse on Starla which is HILARIOUS because he's so much bigger than her.

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Assi I thought the discount pet was on some beltway in Lavonia? Maybe Im confusing 2 place's but I know theres a parrot pet shop up near you. K9 companion is over by Detorit idk if its still even open but litterly --- they only marked there products up by maybe 2-3$ instead of the big box mark ups. So it was totally worth a 6 hour round trip drive when I had like 14 parrots said:
The Birdplace just recently closed, we stopped every once in a while there ourselfs.

There is "chaps feeds" thats a cool place just around the corner from where the Birdplace was in Livonia and they have awesme Prizes, my Litter is literally 8 dollars Cheaper then anywhere else !! I use the Dr Elsies no dust. Huge bag is only 10 bucks where everywhere else is 18 or more. They also order anything you want if you ask them.

That specialty Petstore that I am talking about is called "specialty petsupplies" and its awesome, some things are pricey , but you can get really rare things there that a reg Petstore does not carry and they order anything you want . website is this : Pet Supply Store Plymouth MI - Dog Crates, Natural Dog Food - Speciality Pet Supplies

i wonder what street that k9 store is and the other specialty store ... i am always up for looking around.

I hear ya, i travel for discounts :Laugh:

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I nearly lost my whole mouthful if water and then almost choked on the rest when I snorted laughing !!! Roflmao that's too funny bless
Ya, perv doesn't even begin to explain it :LOL: :LOL:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi & welcome to the Lair!

My youngest boy suckles on his older brother when he's sleepy. Never on himself though. Perhaps she just thinks her boobies are convenient?
Btw I think she is a Canadian from looking at her picture.

VanessaN

Lairian
I have no idea what you mean by the Candian or the doskey?? I will have to give her a call for sure tomarrow - I didnt think to ask to be honest. :x
If you kitty is the one in your profile picture, looks like a Canadian Sphynx (or what most people just call Sphynx)... The other breed of hairless cat that's around is called a Donskoy or Don Sphynx. They don't seem as common and don't seem quite as well-established. But they have the same coat types and stuff.

As luck would have it I've got one of each. And the Donskoy has saggier boobies. :D

As long as the suckling isn't causing any skin problems you're probably fine!

nerdgirl

Lairian
I have had two sphynxy's that like to suck. One of them - Tinsley - always sucked on her belly. You could hear her quietly doing it at night and it would get all drooly and slimey. No harm in it.

My baby Oskie likes to suck on his own tail. He does it to sooth himself. I have to admit that it is quite weird looking, but I figure that it doesn't harm anyone and it calms him down like a baby sucking on his thumb.

sassie

Lairian
i dont think its harming anything - except making her 2 back boobies sag ALOT.

I didnt know there were 2 diffrent types of Sphynx. What is the diffrence between them?

Ive begain slowing allowing her to meet the other 3 - 1 is outgoing & will want to romp & jump her to play right away (Joey) were saving him for last. Today she meet my Siameese (Electra) Bella was hissing at her in a huge way, even at me when I tryed to calm her :( All my other animals ARE fixed - have been since kittens. Also there is Muffing lovingly known as our Skunk (we dont know why ...) Muffin didnt mind her either way -- I hope I dont have a problem with Electra & her getting along I will be broken hearted for sure. Electra is our true rescue, it took us almost 8 months to get her back from the brink of death - I think it set her personality in motion. She barley wants anything to do with anyone excet her sister Muffin (whom she hated when we brought her home also. Joey was here 1st - Electra was sopposed to come here with him but got badly sick after being spayed. Now she is BFF's with Muffin and even though she is only 3 and muffin just turning a year they are not playfiul at all *sigh* and we can barley even hold Electra. Muffin loves to just be loves on, twist's around in your arms, flops upside down -- its crazy sad LoL Joey is the total opposite, he's our window licker (Litterly) hes out going, goofy & so seriously very playful. We've had Bella only a couple days so Im sure Electra will come around just like she did with Miffin.

Thanks for everyones wonderful education & advise. So I guess she's just going to be an un-modist member to this family ( hahahah) I love her already she's so human like its crazy!!

TsumePaws

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We adopted our Sphynx, Akasha and she occasionally likes to suck on her arms when she is cuddled under the blankets. She does it a lot less now because I've been discouraging her from doing it. Mainly because she was getting nasty hickies and wouldn't let them heal so they got scabbed up. She hasn't caused her arms to get icky or scabby so it is improving. I just push her face away from her arm and tell her no. Gentle and she seems to understand that I don't want her to do it!

I wouldn't be too worried about hissing and the cats not getting along at first. Tsume, my siamese, and her hissed at each other for a little bit but now they play together. They don't really cuddle up or get too affectionate but playing is a great thing because Tsume used to be so bored without a play mate!

As long as they aren't viciously attacking each other or drawing blood then I wouldn't worry. Cats have a way of working things out among themselves. They may never be best friends but you never know!

dgoetsch

Lairian
Warren used to suckle on his tail ALL THE TIME. He's almost three years old now and doesn't behave this way as frequently anymore. I have a really crappy video of him suckling his tail from when he was a kitten if you want to just check it out - there's no sound and the quality isn't the greatest (my ex-fiance and I were trying to figure out how to use our camera). Just have your kitty do some crunches - that'll get her belly tightened and toned! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

sassie

Lairian
I personally think thats a good camera! LOL I did get a video of it, but I have to make a ton of more post's before Im allowed to upload it.

I will let them hiss it out, I read some where that the siameese & sphynx are netorious for not getting along - I wonder why this is? Anyone else heard of it?

She did pretty well out n about today with all the others. She stayed up high (where my cats prefer the low land who knows why!) and she really watched them today - less hissing until they made eye contact.