Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Sun Protection Ideas!

TheZu

Lairian
Hello Everyone! I just heard back from my breeder that her queen should be giving birth any day now :D I am super hopeful that there is a kitten for us in this litter, which means we would be bringing kitten home around mid-late July (consequently around my husband's and I's anniversary celebrations).

My breeder leash trains all of her cats, and I'm looking forward to taking her out for walks in the summer and giving her plenty of time outside, because right now we live in a studio suite and space is limited. Plus, my grandparents only live a few blocks away and have an outdoor pool! I know we'll be spending a lot of summer time there and I don't want her stuck home alone all that time. So I'm planning ahead!

I was dissapointed to find there is no safe sunscreen for pets yet, but am determined to make this work for my cat's best health, and I've seen many of you here give outdoor time to your cats. I know inside I can put UV protection on the window glass, but what can I do outside to help?

Here's what I have so far brainstormed, but I'm hoping others can chime in and lend an ear.

1) Purchasing a pet tent for shade: I feel this is the best idea for her when we're at the pool. I can buy a fairly large one and store it at my grandparents and set it up outside for her, close enough to the action but far enough away from the pool to avoid the chlorine water, etc. I can fill it with things for her, and she can have some free range inside, get the warmth and fresh air and still see, but he shaded and protected from bugs and escape.

2) Getting her to wear a thin shirt outside to block the sun. Since I can't cover her in sunscreen, I can still put a protective layer on her! And since she won't be unsupervised in it, I can still feel safe. Plus, it has the added benefit of keeping her a little extra warm if there's a strong breeze.

3) limiting the time outside: not taking her out every day and not taking her every time, but perhaps alternating days.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Careful with too much sun because they overheat. Cats don't sweat which is how the body cools itself. I got caught in rush hour traffic with the cats one day. It probably took 2 hours to get home the traffic was so bad. The A/C was on FULL BLAST but I see one of the cats in the seat next to me panting. Eventually she started slobbering really bad. By then I was almost home so I kept going and I ran into my apartment with her and luckily she cooled off quickly. My other cat was panting too but not slobbering uncontrollably. Be very careful.

Do You Know the Signs of Feline Heat Stroke?

Last edited:

TheZu

Lairian
Careful with too much sun because they overheat. Cats don't sweat which is how the body cools itself. I got caught in rush hour traffic with the cats one day. It probably took 2 hours to get home the traffic was so bad. The A/C was on FULL BLAST but I see one of the cats in the seat next to me panting. Eventually she started slobbering really bad. By then I was almost home so I kept going and I ran into my apartment with her and luckily she cooled off quickly. My other cat was panting too but not slobbering uncontrollably. Be very careful.

Do You Know the Signs of Feline Heat Stroke?

Oh, thanks for the heads up! I never considered over hesting as keeping them warm seems to be the primary objective. We don't get warm weather here for very long, but still. I'll talk to my grandparents about keeping a cool inside space for her as back up...even if it's inside the play tent inside the house.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yeah I saw you were in Canada but when you mentioned sunscreen I thought I would just pass along my experience. Also remember cats sleep 2/3 of the day. They have short spurts of energy which I think is great because you don't have to have a long time to play with them, just 15 minutes and they are OK with it.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely be careful about too much direct sunlight. But there is an Australian brand of Sunscreen that is zinc free and safe for cats. It is a very new brand And product so there isn't a lot online about it, also it's Australian so don't know if it has reached that far across the pond really :p Im not sure if you want to look into it. I have some for Orpheus I'm only really planning on using it on his nose and ears not all over.

Natural Zinc-Free Sun Cream 120g - Pet Skin Products - Totally Lickable

Otherwise having cool water available in their pet tent would be a good idea. And you could get one of those little battery operated fans as well give them a cool breeze :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180414-121151.png
    Screenshot_20180414-121151.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 41

Sheldon13

Staff member
Wow! Cool! I never can find anything safe. I’m going to have to see if I can order some.

I will still point out though, that whatever you use on them, it should be washed off when you are done for the day. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely wipe your baby down afterwards to be safe :) and I think they ship internationally but not certain.

Millie

Lairian
Hello Everyone! I just heard back from my breeder that her queen should be giving birth any day now :D I am super hopeful that there is a kitten for us in this litter, which means we would be bringing kitten home around mid-late July (consequently around my husband's and I's anniversary celebrations).

My breeder leash trains all of her cats, and I'm looking forward to taking her out for walks in the summer and giving her plenty of time outside, because right now we live in a studio suite and space is limited. Plus, my grandparents only live a few blocks away and have an outdoor pool! I know we'll be spending a lot of summer time there and I don't want her stuck home alone all that time. So I'm planning ahead!

I was dissapointed to find there is no safe sunscreen for pets yet, but am determined to make this work for my cat's best health, and I've seen many of you here give outdoor time to your cats. I know inside I can put UV protection on the window glass, but what can I do outside to help?

Here's what I have so far brainstormed, but I'm hoping others can chime in and lend an ear.

1) Purchasing a pet tent for shade: I feel this is the best idea for her when we're at the pool. I can buy a fairly large one and store it at my grandparents and set it up outside for her, close enough to the action but far enough away from the pool to avoid the chlorine water, etc. I can fill it with things for her, and she can have some free range inside, get the warmth and fresh air and still see, but he shaded and protected from bugs and escape.

2) Getting her to wear a thin shirt outside to block the sun. Since I can't cover her in sunscreen, I can still put a protective layer on her! And since she won't be unsupervised in it, I can still feel safe. Plus, it has the added benefit of keeping her a little extra warm if there's a strong breeze.

3) limiting the time outside: not taking her out every day and not taking her every time, but perhaps alternating days.
Hello! I use an all natural powder spf 30 called “ powder me spf “ by Jane Iredale, a mineral makeup/ skincare line . I apply it with a makeup brush instead of the Applicator it comes with for a better coverage. If you can’t find this product online I also sell it you can PM me . It’s about $60 Canadian . It’s safe enough for babies so if your cat were to lick it they won’t get sick .

Bogeycat

Lairian

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I definitely agree with Maddie. Most sunscreens have zinc which is the toxic ingredient for cats in sunscreen.
Myself and another member have suggested the dr zoo which is zinc free and designed for dogs and cats :)

Back