Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx train my husband

Avasmommy

Lairian
Is there anyway I can get my husband to "come around" to my idea of getting a sphynx? He says that he hates cats. I tried telling him that a sphynx isn't just your regular everyday cat. But he also doesn't like any of my choices in dogs either. So now I just have two rats in the house. I am going to be getting a kitten in mid Dec. So in all I was wondering if there is anyway I can get him to look at the bright side of things? Any tips or tricks would be great.

Inferno12

Banned
Somehow expose him to a Sphynx. Once he meets one in person he will love them!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know that people that think the sphynx is 'scary' or such very rapidly come around once they meet them.

someone who dislikes all cats... I'm not so sure... I think you might start with finding out what about cats he doesn't like. A important thing here is not to argue with the reasons given right away -- some people, if they get debated, just entrench themselves deeper.

once you have ferreted out what about cats he doesn't like, start addressing those issues, subtly. For example, if it's a concern about scratching up furniture, start replacing the furniture with stuff that can't really be clawed up under the guise of redecorating...

Not everyone can be converted, sadly, but since the alternative is to turn him out on the street, I'll assume he's worth the effort :Smile:.

As someone else here said 'slowly, slowly catchy monkey'

I'm assuming this is a serious

Bella07

Banned
So your husband would rather own and love rats, than a gorgeous Sphynx kitten?! :Surprise: Well, since the breed is so wonderful, I'm sure that once you bring your kitten home, he'll fall head over heals in love, and HE"LL soon be begging you to bring home another! Just watch.

lawgrl

Lairian
My husband was never really a cat person before we met. I got Twiggy before we met, so he got the sphynx introduction the first time he came over to my house.

He later confessed that he wasn't really sure what he thought about Twiggy at first and was a little freaked out by her (general lack of exposure to cats combined with the whole hairless and super-friendly thing). However, he very quickly warmed up to her and now he's definitely a sphynx person. He even started going to cat shows with me to help with Pork Chop (it was too cute watching him carry Choppy up to the judging cages!) and tells anyone who will listen how great sphynx are (even his guy friends).

So, there's definitely hope! Is the kitten you're getting a sphynx? If so, you might just have to wait until he/she comes home and then I predict your husband be a sphynx person in no time.

Avasmommy

Lairian
My husband would prefer that we have no animals. The rats I got from the humane society, since he didnt want me to have a dog. Now i've decided to get a sphynx. I've only been able to touch one in my life, and I was very young. 5ish maybe. But I can remember it like it was yesterday. He is a "non animal" person, who married a country at heart animal person.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
My tip would be to leave sphynxlair open on the computer and see if he will take a look. Pretend not to notice :Wink: The more he reads what we all say about the sphynx he will want one. If that fails bring it home hide his razor and once the spynx rubs on his face for a few min. he will be in love!

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In my experience a Sphynx is not like a typical cat. They are not aloof, they interact with the family and are extremely affectionate. That is what won my husband over.

The first morning we had Abby home, she ran in the bathroom, saw herself in the mirror and hissed at her reflection. My husband's response "My Lord, she is so ugly she scared herself". Now she has him trained, he turns on faucets for her, lifts the covers so she can climb under the blanket, gives her her favorite treats, etc. :LOL::LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I didn't read the other posts so I'm sure this has been said. It's real simple. Just get a sphynx and bring it home. He'll fall in love in no time. Just ask the other members. Some members had to beg their husbands to get a sphynx and now the husbands are wanting to get subsequent sphynx's.

I really don't understand why some people "hate" cats. If you leave the cat alone, it will leave you alone (most of the time). It's like ugly cars. We see ugly cars on the road all the time. I hate some of those cars but have those cars or drivers done something to me to make me hate them? I'm just curious as to why so many people hate cats.

LLevenson

Lairian
My hubby wasn't a "cat-person" either. I kept showing him pics of Sphynx and he "kinda" liked how they looked. THEN we went to a breeder and when he got to pet and play with the litter of kittens, HE WAS SOLD!!!! Next thing I knew, he was writing a check for the deposit when not an hour before we got there, he was complaining about how I was "forcing" him into this decision! Even so, for the first couple of months, he referred to Arias as "the cat" or my favorite, "your cat"....now he can be sound asleep and if Arias jumps on the bed, he immediately wakes up, moves over and makes a space for Arias to curl up next to him! I also catch him singing to Arias sometimes :LOL:
you're hubby will come around....everyone who meets Arias falls in love with is persona;ity and wants a Sphynx, so I am sure your hubby will come around!

My husband was NOT a cat person before we got our Sphynx. He begrudgingly agreed to bring one into our family as he knew I wanted one so badly. Well to make a long story short, he is most often to be found to have one in his lap, on his shoulder, or curled up next to him. He sings to them, baby talks them and spoils them rotten. I am constantly hearing "Honey look! Come see!" or my favorite "Look at MY cat! She loves me best!" He loves those naked kitties. Oh, and we are bringing home Sphynx # 3. And it was HIS idea.

There is hope yet...

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with everyone else....just ignore him and get the sphynx. He totally change when you bring it home.
My spouse is the son of a trapper. He spent his childhood catching and skinning things and also hunted. He was totally not an animal person. His mother hated cats so much she would actually kill any cats that came on their property!! So he was raised that cats were like "vermin" and not good for anything.
He tolerated the hairy cat I had when we met and would pat him on the head occasionally just for my sake.
Then my biological clock started ticking and I wanted a baby. But we were allready raising my husbands 3 kids from a previous marriage and he didnt want to go through the baby stage again. Also we cant have a baby.
So when I decided to get a sphynx as a baby substitute, because I can dress it up and cuddle it like a baby and take it everywhere......my husband was releived about not having to spend thousands in fertility treatments and change diapers again.
As soon as we got our sphynx his attitude changed about cats. He carries Nofuratu around like a baby and talks to him. He is allready talking about getting another sphynx when we can afford it. You would never know he used to be a man who would yell "Ew!" when a cat rubbed against him!
So you could always try the "I want a baby, but I'll settle for a sphynx" technique. It might ease him into the idea as the lesser of two evils!
Adventures of A Naked Cat

You would never know by the blog and pictures that Nofur's Daddy was at one time not a Sphynx person, let alone a cat person. I think that Nofur has Daddy wrapped around his little paw.

YAY!!!!!! Yet another triumph for the naked cats!!!

Avasmommy

Lairian
Wow! You kinda hit the nail on the head Nofuratu!! My daughter will be 3 in Jan. Things arnt so great between my husband and I, and i've been throwing around the idea of having another child. I want another baby, but on the other hand, I think I will be ok if my daughter is an only child. But I dont think he will go for the whole, "oh it will be my baby substitute" Im honestly not going to worry about if he doesn't want a cat. I just dont want him to hate it. Because animals can pick up on that sorta thing.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My boyfriend is not an animal person either, and wasn't too thrilled when I decided to get my sphynx Piglet after years of having just my two Siamese cats (which he learned to tolerate). He didn't like Piglet at first and even went as far as to call her "ugly", but now he sees the value in her (especially with her being a registered therapy animal) and admits that she has "a great personality".

My BF seems to like my new sphynx cat "Amo" better...he says that he's "nicer-looking" than Piglet and he likes that Amo's so friendly and playful. He's still not overly in love with my cats, but at least now he'll let them sit on his lap and he'll pet them from time to time. Your hubby may never become a "cat person" but in time, he'll learn to appreciate your sphynx kitty and may even learn to like her/him.

As far as my cats go, they seem to know that he's a little "skittish" around them so they just leave him alone for the most part. They kinda treat him like part of the furniture: he's there but doesn't do much...LOL!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My boyfriend wasn't a cat person at all when we met....as time progressed I ended up moving in with him slowly and had to rehome my furry babies because he is allergic to them. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad and heart broken and cat-less so I he said I could have a ONE hairless cat!! So after my search of 5 months I finally found my perfect girl Snuffie and brought her home. Within 24 hours, no question about it, Jimmy was whispering in her ear of how pretty she was and how sweet she was...within weeks he was giving her hello and goodbye kisses and even forgetting to give me MY hello and goodbye kisses!! lol Its a given,,I think your hubby will fall head over heels with a Sphynx,,they are so addicting!!!!

Goodluck!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You would never know by the blog and pictures that Nofur's Daddy was at one time not a Sphynx person, let alone a cat person. I think that Nofur has Daddy wrapped around his little paw.

YAY!!!!!! Yet another triumph for the naked cats!!!
You are right! LOL....I was going to mention how he hated cats, and now he is in most of Nofuratu's blogs carrying him in a sling or driving in the car with Nofuratu's butt in his face....if he can be converted then anyone can!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think there is a great chance your husband would be won over once he meets a Sphynx. The key to a successful "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey" strategy is to make your husband think the Sphynx was his idea. Are there any breeders, shows or Sphynx Lair members in your area?

nefariousmango

Lairian
Your situation sounds like mine was: I'm an animal-loving country gal and my husband is basically afraid of nature. He had zero interest in having any pets, but that's never been an option. It took him a couple days to warm up to Mr Mewton, I think mainly because his personality is so... unique... and my husband had some trouble figuring out how to interact! By the end of the first month they were inseparable, and he even supported getting a second hairless cat this summer! Give your husband time to come 'round and he will fall in love with your kitten!

Edit: I just read your post to my husband, who has both cats sleeping on him, and he said, "Awwww no, he'll love the snuggles!" and kissed both of their heads :)

Last edited:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Give your husband time to come 'round and he will fall in love with your kitten!

Edit: I just read your post to my husband, who has both cats sleeping on him, and he said, "Awwww no, he'll love the snuggles!" and kissed both of their heads :)
I love this picture. It put a big smile on my face. It reminds me of an old photo of my hubby sleeping with our first three boys. Thanks for sharing it.

want a sphynx

Lairian
I have to admit it...... it was ME who never liked cats in our family! I was raised in a "hates cats" type of family. ANd when I got married, my husbands family had at least 6 furry cats, some of whom had not so nice personalities. Their house was filled with cat hair, I hated it! I don't like animal hair! Thats WHY I have two toy poodles, no shedding! So as time went on, I have learned to really love some of their cats, but still hate the hair.... so the obvious choice for me is a sphynx. And, I have just put a deposit on a retired breeder who will be available in about 6 or so weeks, after spaying and her HCM scan. I can hardly wait to bring her home! Have already started kitty proofing my house. It was dog proofed before, but I never had to kitty proof the upper areas, I am soooooo excited to do so!

And Nofuratu, I have read your entire blog, and have to say, if your hubby was not a cat person, ANYONE can eb won over! I thought Nofur was HIS cat! LOL... I am envious of all the places you take Nofur. Do all sphynx's like to travel? I am hoping so, because my daughter lives 11 hours away by car, so I hope my sphynx likes to ride! My daughter has a ragdoll who gets groomed and furminated weekly, so he doesn't shed!