Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx WILL NOT Purr for me

I have a Sphnx Female we got when she was 4 months from a family who had to travel. She hops on my husband's shoulder and PURRRRRRS. She purrs with my daughter and 2 sons.
Although she comes and cuddles with me and follows me around the house, she WILL NOT PURR with me!
Any thoughts? She LOVES walking on a leash, riding in th car, taking a warm bath, and eating Sushi on the bed with me! But will not purr!
Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Sphnx Female we got when she was 4 months from a family who had to travel. She hops on my husband's shoulder and PURRRRRRS. She purrs with my daughter and 2 sons.
Although she comes and cuddles with me and follows me around the house, she WILL NOT PURR with me!
Any thoughts? She LOVES walking on a leash, riding in th car, taking a warm bath, and eating Sushi on the bed with me! But will not purr!
Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!
I don't think id worry too much about it. It would be more of a concern if she had purred before in your presence and then stopped at some point. Sounds like she enjoys your company purrs or not. :)

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Not all cats purr easily but it doesn't mean they hate us or not happy. My one boy purrs if you just look at him the other purrs but not often he purrs more at 3am all cats like us are different it doesn't mean she doesn't love yoi

I agree its kinda weird that your cat doesnt purr for you but does for other members in the house...but since she shows affection its definitely not anything to worry about, just kinda odd.

ALSO did you know that cats don't only purr when they are happy? They can purr when they are a little stressed to calm themselves down. Sometimes my cat will purr during ear cleanings but I know he HATES getting his ears cleaned (from body language, and once he hissed at me when I was cleaning his ears). So maybe she just feels really relaxed around you? IDK.