Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with Chronic Borderline Diarrhea

michieemariee

Lairian
Hi all!
I have a female Sphynx, Arrow, who is almost 2 years old. I got her as a kitten in June of 2018. Ever since I've had her she has always seemed to have a very sensitive stomach/very prone to getting diarrhea. I had her screened for parasites last week (for a second time) and everything is all clear - which is good, but I don't know what to do about this problem and the vets don't seem to know much either. The vets had suggested a probiotic, FortiFlora, which I tried for roughly a month with seemingly no affect, and then after that the vets suggested to put her on Benefiber, which appeared to make the problem worse in a matter of a few doses so I stopped that entirely. In addition to those two things, I have previously tried the following: pumpkin supplement (seems to do nothing); changing her diet - I tried Hills "sensitive stomach" formula which gave her literally the worst diarrhea on record -- then I tried switching the protein source to venison (forgot the brand name) which also made matters worse, but not as bad as the Hills stuff did. So, now she (and my other cat) both eat Dr. Gary's Best Breed Grain Free Cat Diet which is what they've been mainly eating all along and it seems to be what Arrow seems to tolerate the best. The bag says it is chicken and white fish proteins.

It's not like she has straight-up watery diarrhea all the time, but she always has mushy type poop - where my other cat (not a Sphynx) has normal poop. The main problem of all this (aside from her probably having a stomach ache) is that she tends to step in and/or drag her tail thru the poop - then obviously this ends up getting tracked around my apartment with the absolute worst being if she gets it on her in the middle of the night and then jumps in my bed :sick:. I have tried so many things and I just don't know where to go next. The vet is saying next step would probably be a prescription diet of possibly "select protein" or "hydrolyzed protein" - but these are VERY costly and I'd like to just find an affordable food or supplement that will fix this ongoing issue. If I move her to prescription diet, I will also have to put my other cat on that because they free feed and I am not going to be able to switch them to a feeding schedule, as it isn't going to work with how my personal schedule is. They don't seem to eat a lot at least (about a cup of food every 24 hours) but still-- at about 50$ for an 8 lb bag... you see where I'm going with this.

I thought I'd post on here since Sphynx are so unusual and it seems like the vets don't really know the intricacies of these lil guys. Maybe some of you have had a similar experience to what I've shared and can give me some pointers on what may work or what to try next. Thanks so much in advance. Any advice is much appreciated!

Michelle

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My two thoughts a yes, hydrolyzed protein, or alternatively, raw. Have you considered raw? It’s no more costly than a moderately priced kibble. There is a little prep every 3 months or so but that’s really the only extra effort and only takes a few hours if you buy the animal already ground up.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
oh my poor Arrow and you.. ugh... we get it...
such a balance to find what works.. and I jus looked at Royal Canin ulttraamino another member uses and it was $50 bucks for 5 lbs.
many have switched ate a raw diet and some use Better in the Raw (BITR) that is a powder that you add meat to.

I have 4 nakids and a bengal with IBD.
I feed them Nutrisource cat and kitten food for years. no recalls.
and Hills Urinary Hairball formula ( I read years ago that hairball formulas can help with poo issues... they had awful poo on Acana)
I know the sensitive stomach hills didn't work for your Arrow. not sure if the hairball formula would be different.

my bengal is a fuss pot, dry food addict. she only eats the Nutrisource and has no more poo issues. she drinks plenty of water from " her" pitcher.

Nutrisource is known for gut health. it helped my crew immensely.

some members have also fed the Stella and chewy patties
( the S&C new kibble was a complete no go here)

surely members will chime in
following closely for updates
hugs n head smooches

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
I have always fed my Sphynx Iams kibble, the purple bag for kittens and as they get older I move to the orange bag original recipe for adult cats. my kitten edward, has a sensitive tummy too, he has done really well so far on the iams Kitten kibble. His tummy issues act up with canned food. So again I’ve always used fancy feast for my Sphynx and never had any issues. However, Edward is on the fancy feast kitten canned food, and some flavors give him soft poop. The flavors happen to be the shrimp, and the turkey. The chicken used to cause soft poops, but not anymore. He does really well with ocean white fish, and chicken. So I stick with this and we have no more soft poops. He’s not ever had runny watery poops, just soft poops. But I know exactly what you mean........Edward would step in it and run his tail through it and then tear through the house spreading his poop foot every place he went. Lol we bought a huge box of unscented huggies baby wet wipes specifically to clean up poop feet and tails. Lol

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed raw. When I started I was buying raw food from a boutique pet store which is pricey but doesn't require any work. I think most of us start out like this. Nowadays I mostly buy ground meats and use it to make food. It's not as easy but I only spend an hour per week to make food for 3 cats. I spend about $50 per cat per month.

The thing with raw food is you can't leave it out. Instead you give set meals.......say in the morning, after work, and right before bed. To get cats to switch from kibble, you usually go from kibble to canned food and get them used to eating a full meal of canned food at a time. After they're used to that, you switch from canned to raw.

I've been hearing about the hydrolized diets but I don't have experience with them. Hopefully others can chime in and I gave you enough info to compare.

StevesDad

Lairian
This sounds a lot like my ordeal with my little guy steve (he's now 4). I tried the pumpkin, the Fortiflora, and dealt with endless tail poops and litterbox drama while on an equally endless search for a food he could and WOULD continuously eat. I eventually gave up on wet food, and now have him on a grain and gluten free, limited ingredient food. And I also went with NO chicken as that seemed to be the biggest culprit among most foods we tried. The brand I feed him is called Performatrin Ultra. Before that he was on GO! limited ingredient grain/gluten free kibble, but it was becoming impossible to find the duck one in large bags - all the other ones had chicken. Luckily he's been good on the Performatrin kibble (it's also been easier on my wallet) and most of his poops have been pretty good for the better part of a year!