Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with hives

Jadasphynx

Lairian
Hi my 4 month old sphynx suddenly started with hives. At first I thought they were flea bites. I did find 2 fleas on her. The bumps got much worse. So bad I had to bring her to the emergency vet. Their conclusion is hives, possible allergic reaction. Nothing in my home has changed. Shes on the same food from when she was with the breeder. The vet gave her benadryl & antibiotics for her ears. There was yeast & bacteria found in her ears. The bumps are getting worse everyday. Nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any insight into this?
20200727_215126.jpg
20200727_212804.jpg

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They do look like allergic hives to me. Which means it could be a food allergy or an allergy to something in the environment.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Mindy Kelley

Lairian
My boy hasss the same thing omg. Been dealing with it off and on since April
Please let me know if u figure it out

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Food changes are often the culprit...hoping you have success. Keep in mind changing to raw might help, but if they are allergic to an ingredient (example chicken) it will not help, so you might need to adjust. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jadasphynx

Lairian
She was eating instinct chicken or redbarn chicken in the a.m. & at night stella & chewys raw chicken. I stopped the chicken all together. For the past 2 days I have only feed her stella & chewys raw rabbit. I think her issue was the chicken. I didn't know this but it's very common for them to be allergic to chicken. I'm hoping that's all it was. Hope this helps

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of mine had allergies from around November/December all the way until May/June. The vet wanted me to not feed chicken so I stopped for a while, but it didn't make any difference. I put him back on chicken. Eventually the allergies stopped. I have no idea what made them start or end.

The one thing that helped my guy was Duoxo Chlorhexidine shampoo. My vet recommended it. Maybe you can ask your vet about it.

Jadasphynx

Lairian
One of mine had allergies from around November/December all the way until May/June. The vet wanted me to not feed chicken so I stopped for a while, but it didn't make any difference. I put him back on chicken. Eventually the allergies stopped. I have no idea what made them start or end.

The one thing that helped my guy was Duoxo Chlorhexidine shampoo. My vet recommended it. Maybe you can ask your vet about it.
I stopped the chicken as well. That has not helped. I will definitely try the shampoo

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jadasphynx ,hugs n positive vibe head smooches. any laundry detergent, fabric softener changes? any change of litter? scented? baby wipes?

big fan too of the Duoxo chlorhexidine shampoo mentioned. I get online non Rx. (chewy and other sites)..

Jadasphynx

Lairian
@Jadasphynx ,hugs n positive vibe head smooches. any laundry detergent, fabric softener changes? any change of litter? scented? baby wipes?

big fan too of the Duoxo chlorhexidine shampoo mentioned. I get online non Rx. (chewy and other sites)..
Hi thank you. No changes to anything which is making this complicated

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thanks for tagging @Yoda mom . The rash does look different from the rash my boy Toa with UP has but always a good to ask the vet to the a skin test!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just wanted to add, there are different medicated shampoos for different skin conditions. To get the right one for a specific cat, it's best to let a vet recommend one.

I guess it wouldn't do any harm in any case. But, it might not help.

Lulamae

Lairian
I would mention to your vet any changes at all you can think of. Has your neighborhood recently been sprayed with pesticides/herbicides? Are you using new detergents? Did the food manufacture modify their recipe? Did someone apply a new product to their hands then pet her? Sometimes small changes we wouldn’t even think of can cause problems for animals with sensitivities. I would also mention to your vet that you’ve seen fleas. Then you and your vet can start ruling out things until you find the culprit.
I hope your kitten is feeling much better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk