Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with Skin Conditions - What are you feeding?

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:oops:*This thread is for sphynx that have a skin conditon/allergy/irritable bowel syndrome only*:p

Hi I know this has been asked a bit in all different threads but I think it would be helpful in a dedicated thread so nothing is lost and you don't have to jump around to other threads to get the information.

It will be useful for those cats who are highly food allergic and on elimination trials and it's a way of tracking progress.

So - if you have a sphynx with a skin condition.

What are you feeding your sphynx that works?
What were you feeding your sphynx that didn't work (ie made their skin condition flare up/worse/runs?

Thank you :) hope this thread can help sphynxies with skin issues.

My answer:

Kangaroo cooked works

Everything else such as allergy free foods (hills science z/d), bal cal powder, balance it powder, goat - hasn't worked.

Generic royal canin food doesn't work.

:X3:THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING OUR BABIES!:)
Together we can make a difference.:cat:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So far we are on venison and pea and that seems to be doing well enough. It is a diet from royal canin vet line. Very few ingredients.
Danser has IBD and she is doing well on the venison also! Good surprise. It took me years to find stuff that wouldn't cause her to have constant runny poo.

The NO list goes as:
Poultry of any kind chicken duck turkey pheasant
Wheat
Corn
Soy
Potato
Rice
Barley
Sorghum
Beef
Lamb
No dairy...like whey is added to some foods
Eggs

We might have to outlaw fish also. Sad.....everyone loves freeze dried salmon.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you cook the meat, doesn't that diminish the nutritional value and thus result in an incomplete diet? (I don't know much about this, so I'm curious.)

Also my baby has very mild skin issues that seem to have vastly improved on Acana grasslands (made primarily with lamb, which is hypoallergenic) and being bathed with Earthbath. Acana grasslands does have poultry, but her allergies don't seem bad. Her poo is now solid and her skin looks really good.

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you cook the meat, doesn't that diminish the nutritional value and thus result in an incomplete diet? (I don't know much about this, so I'm curious.)

Also my baby has very mild skin issues that seem to have vastly improved on Acana grasslands (made primarily with lamb, which is hypoallergenic) and being bathed with Earthbath. Acana grasslands does have poultry, but her allergies don't seem bad. Her poo is now solid and her skin looks really good.
Great news.
Yes you are correct.
Hence why we are having to trial powders and supplements.
They are all mixed with fillers though.
Very difficult.
I need roo bone powder.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
:oops:*This thread is for sphynx that have a skin conditon/allergy/irritable bowel syndrome only*:p

Hi I know this has been asked a bit in all different threads but I think it would be helpful in a dedicated thread so nothing is lost and you don't have to jump around to other threads to get the information.

It will be useful for those cats who are highly food allergic and on elimination trials and it's a way of tracking progress.

What were you feeding your sphynx that didn't work (ie made their skin condition flare up/worse/runs?

My answer:

Kangaroo cooked works

Everything else such as allergy free foods (hills science z/d), bal cal powder, balance it powder, goat - hasn't worked.

Good idea - I hope members @[USERGROUP=2]Registered[/USERGROUP] will add their useful information about what food they used to help or even alleviate skin conditions or food allergies with their sphynx.

Last edited:

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No poultry of any kind. My 2 need some grains in their food, otherwise they diarrhea like crazy! I made a list not too long ago of some common food allergens/sensitivities.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Alot of us Sphynxie parents have troubles with sensitive tummys. I have been researching and have come up with a list of most common ingredients that are bothersome just in case it can help anyone. If anyone has any to add that would be great.

1. corn gluten/corn meal
2.wheat gluten
3.soy
4.meat by products
5.BHA and BHT
6.Eggs
7.milk/dairy
8. Proteins: chicken,turkey,fish,pork,beef,lamb
9. Food dyes: Friskies and Fancy Feast use dyes in their canned food

If your cat is sensitive to a) chicken, it can also cross over to turkey and duck, eggs
and cows milk
b) beef, it can also cross over to lamb and venison

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor khaleesi had the worst bowel troubles- finally got it sorted with a 50% raw diet and 50% royal canin kitten food combo. We just mix them together :)

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Alot of us Sphynxie parents have troubles with sensitive tummys. I have been researching and have come up with a list of most common ingredients that are bothersome just in case it can help anyone. If anyone has any to add that would be great.

1. corn gluten/corn meal
2.wheat gluten
3.soy
4.meat by products
5.BHA and BHT
6.Eggs
7.milk/dairy
8. Proteins: chicken,turkey,fish,pork,beef,lamb
9. Food dyes: Friskies and Fancy Feast use dyes in their canned food

If your cat is sensitive to a) chicken, it can also cross over to turkey and duck, eggs
and cows milk
b) beef, it can also cross over to lamb and venison
Whoa! I just started reading about "The Virgin Diet" (for humans lol) because my mom has been doing it and just raves about it. It's based on the theory that food sensitivities cause numerous health problems (including inflammation and weight gain). For the first 21 days you cut out the seven highest intolerance foods: gluten, soybeans, corn, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and sugars/artificial sweeteners. Then you test your body by reintroducing each to see which are giving you problems.

She says that a huge problem with food intolerance is our mutant GMO crops, that our bodies don't recognize fully as food! And because we feed our livestock these crops, the meat, dairy, and even eggs can give us problem. She said that after she cut out eggs in her diet, and then tried them after 21 days, she literally doubled over in pain. BUT she can tolerate eggs from chickens fed a natural, healthy diet.

If omnivorous humans have this much difficulty, no wonder our kitties are suffering!

I have had nothing but troubles with my poor Gremmys tummy, I felt so guilty that when he sat on my lap his tummy would gargle and burp and bloat uncontrollably! And not to mention the diarrhea!

We tried these food with him:
-royal canin kitten
-acana (various flavours)
-Orijen
-frozen raw ( higher veggie ratio)
-frozen and freeze dried raw with beef
And none of them worked for us AT all!
I started searching around to various freeze dried raw that was available in our area, companies have been VERY helpful and have sent us samples!! So far he can tolerate chicken primal and venison ziwipeak only. We have a few more samples to go through to fun his perfect match! But even his skin has improved immensely.

mrs.meowalot

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm feeding my selfmade raw food. I'm absolutely convinced that it is the best for my boys. I know exactly what I'm feeding to them. Since they're on raw they don't get oily as fast as usual and their poop doesn't smell anymore and is absolutely beautiful (haha beautiful poop wt* xD)

susi794

Staff member
I used to feed raw, and still would if I wasn't breeding--the raw I bought had coccidia from chickens and it infected all my cats. This is not a problem with adult cats because it usually causes a bit of diarreah and then passes, like when humans have diarreah occasionally....because their adult immune systems kill it off.....but when you have a queen stepping in it and carrying it back to her kits, this can spell disaster. Neonate kits can succumb quickly to diarreah. So, until I end my breeding program, I will not do the raw again. And it should be noted that many, many cats can not tolerate beef. It is not part of their natural food supply and makes my cats vomit like crazy. Duck is very rich and should only be eaten by well established raw eaters as the fat content can upset tummies immensely. I also made my own raw and then another time, I used a dry mix called My Natural Cat from Feline Instincts that I added to ground turkey and that was well received at the time. Too expensive for me to feed my whole crew at the time, but if I only had 3-4 that would have been my preferred feeding type. My cats need fiber, so I feed hairball type foods--it tightens up the stool pretty nicely.

kimmyhm

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mimi had bowel issues, we had allergy tests done through the vets, and she was put on the venison and pea diet as it has minimal ingredients, then we progressed onto royal cannin sensitivity control, duck and rice. We have slowly added other foods back in to her diet, we know how her bowels under control with the sensitivity control wet food and royal cannin Sphynx breed dry

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kitt gets a rash around her neck and some on her body, little red itchy ones if she eats commercial can or pouches with grains. She also gets sloppy poop on it. I tried Royal Canin pouches, but no go. Whiskas kitten, no.
Currently she is on a variety of things.

- Ziwipeak canned lamb (apparently raw equivalent) (no grains)
- Ultimates Digestive Sensitivity, a canned chicken in broth with no grains
- human grade minced raw beef (trailing Complete Mix raw addative)

So far havnt found a dry food that is nice. Royal Canin kitten made for bad poop.
Tried Australian brand VIP Grain free dry cat food, no.

Recently released brand in Aus. Is Applause grain and cereal free. Gives her gas and bloated but poops fine.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed Authority both wet & kibble and I have had no problems. Not even with my newest kitten who was on organic for his whole life and my almost 3 year old re-homed female transitioned to it without a problem. It isn't expensive or fancy but it has them healthy so far.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have been truly blessed with Izmae. I have not had any poo problems, no food allergies, no skin problems, no problems at all. I just wish none of our babies
did.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed Authority both wet & kibble and I have had no problems. Not even with my newest kitten who was on organic for his whole life and my almost 3 year old re-homed female transitioned to it without a problem. It isn't expensive or fancy but it has them healthy so far.
My 10 month old out grew hers for the most part...I only see bumps if i bath her she has "good skin" according to breeder and she kinda does she just does not get dirty really a wash cloth or a baby wipe is all she needs. I run into problems when I "think" I should bath her.

The only thing okay for mine to eat is rabbit and venison.

So far Turkey, Beef, and Chicken all make him welt up and have horrible red bumps all over.

I've just had him a week so I'm sure I'll add more as we try new things.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

My answer:

Kangaroo cooked works

My Grayson has the most problems with his stomach. Liam had stomach issues until he was about 6 months old, but Grayson turned a year old the beginning of July and he still has issues.

I give all my boys a spoonful of pumpkin once a day mixed with their canned food and a little bit of water as well as their L.Lysine. I give Grayson a tiny bit more pumpkin.

I have been mixing their dry food for a long time now. I was giving half of Royal Canin dry kitten food with half of the Royal Canin Special (which is for digestive issues). A few months ago, I had added more of the "Special" and less of the "Kitten" until now where it's almost all "Special" and barely any "Kitten" formula.

This has worked for me and I'm pleased with this combination.

I hope this info is helpful to members. :)

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When little, both my kitties had issues with loose stools-- at about 8-9 months the problem went away on it's own...

That being said earlier this year I found that one of my guys had a rather rare auto-immune disorder. commonly called pillow foot, formally called plasma cell pododermatitis. I tried several dietary changes, and would have continued pursuing it if any of them affected his condition at all.

he's on minocycline forever now. fortunately there are about 3 different antibiotics that work for him, and my vet has a standing script for all of them. I can just buy whichever is the cheapest whenever I refill.

//not debating GMOs, Penn & Teller had a very good show about it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When little, both my kitties had issues with loose stools-- at about 8-9 months the problem went away on it's own...

That being said earlier this year I found that one of my guys had a rather rare auto-immune disorder. commonly called pillow foot, formally called plasma cell pododermatitis. I tried several dietary changes, and would have continued pursuing it if any of them affected his condition at all.

he's on minocycline forever now. fortunately there are about 3 different antibiotics that work for him, and my vet has a standing script for all of them. I can just buy whichever is the cheapest whenever I refill.

//not debating GMOs, Penn & Teller had a very good show about it.
Minocycline is a derivative of Tetracycline for those of you that don't know that.
Fester, Penn & Teller had a show about cat's conditions?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
nope, about GMOs. I was politely disagreeing with @sciumi 's post.
I won't link since their show called bulls--- is more than a bit inflammatory and explicative-laden.
Well, my brain hasn't exactly been in the right state of mind lately...so I confused your previous post. LOL
Thank you for clarifying. :)

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would definitely do raw if I weren't breeding. It is just too risky with kits as (Susi stated) and I found it hard to keep an area clean when I was feeding raw whole products (cats do like to hoard their kill which leads to a raw meat trail). I had tried the ground commercial type for a while but found it was extremely costly. I then moved on to grain free food but found it a tad rich for the adults. I was using PureVita and have been dealing with bloody poo! I am now just feeding pro plan, I know its full of filler but my cats seem fuller and more satisfied after a meal and their poo is improving to! I would recommend reading labels.... This breed can be sensitive and what works for some wont work for others. Fortunately my boys don't have allergies. Oz may have a slight allergy but it seems to be caused more by skin contact than his food. There are certain things I cant wash him with and ive noticed if he lays on something freshly cleaned he will brake out in splotches.