Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with Skin Conditions - What are you feeding?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@zooyork, why how often were you washing him and when was the last time he was washed? Maybe don't use anything for now and wait until he's really ready for a regular bath and try the AvenaLyt to calm his skin down. It will not dry him out at all. Check the ingredients on the aloe wipes and see if it has any alcohol in it. Even plain water can make the skin dry sometimes.

zooyork

Lairian
@zooyork, why how often were you washing him and when was the last time he was washed? Maybe don't use anything for now and wait until he's really ready for a regular bath and try the AvenaLyt to calm his skin down. It will not dry him out at all. Check the ingredients on the aloe wipes and see if it has any alcohol in it. Even plain water can make the skin dry sometimes.
I was washing about once a week. But he wasn't dirty or oily but I thought he had to be cleaned once a week. So i guess it's a lesson learned lol.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@zooyork don't blame yourself. I used to bathe them once a week too. Never had a skin issue because of it though. Maybe because I don't live in a dry area.

Now I bathe them whenever. I've changed shampoos a few times playing around with what works best and I now use the HyLyt Shampoo and AvenaLyt Shampoo as I've mentioned to you previously. Both good shampoos and they rinse easily which is extremely important for their skin for a number of reasons. But whenever any of them seem to be itchy or I see bumps, etc. on their skin, I go right for the calming AvenaLyt Shampoo and it immediately calms things down.

zooyork

Lairian
@zooyork don't blame yourself. I used to bathe them once a week too. Never had a skin issue because of it though. Maybe because I don't live in a dry area.

Now I bathe them whenever. I've changed shampoos a few times playing around with what works best and I now use the HyLyt Shampoo and AvenaLyt Shampoo as I've mentioned to you previously. Both good shampoos and they rinse easily which is extremely important for their skin for a number of reasons. But whenever any of them seem to be itchy or I see bumps, etc. on their skin, I go right for the calming AvenaLyt Shampoo and it immediately calms things down.
Thank you. I will try them shampoos on him soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zooyork , for in between full spa day baths - (with Hylyt amd Avenalyt )

I fill a pitcher of warm water , add baby face cloths and a teenie teenie few drops of Hylyt shampoo
wipe down with the baby face clothes like I would unscented baby wipes - I have better results cleaning this way between full baths and no skin issues with all 4 with this method -

I really like Triz ultra with Keto product for earl cleaning - I never flush ears -
I put a couple precious qTips (good for that little outer ear edge button to gently Swirl gunk out )
And regular qTips on top of a round flat cotton cosmetic pad , wet with Trizultra and gently wipe clean ears
I found my 4 Sphynx cats ears stay cleaner longer with the Trizultra than Epi otic

I feed Nutrisource in the blue bag and noticed all four of their skins are not as oily as when fed Acana

Each kitty is different and you will adjust to what works best for your baby-
No wrong or right way

Head smooches sent! Your baby is soo adorable!

MereB

Lairian
We feed Akira a little grain free kibble and a raw food diet of Kangaroo mince, ground chicken with bones and chicken hearts. I started to add some chicken liver to the mix in mid August and she developed a rash on the back of her neck shortly after that started to spread to the rest of her body. Not that I made the connection to the liver at first, mostly because she had just had her vaccinations, sterilization and hernia repair done and we found fleas on her. We figured it was something from all that so I dismissed the addition of liver to her diet the week before. The rash was nasty, it looked like a toads skin and it was itchy, the poor little, thing so we treated according to breeders instructions for 2 weeks and it was all but gone when it came back again a week later.
Thankfully it was almost time to make the next batch of food and having finally twigged that maybe it was an allergy I left out the most recent addition to her diet, the liver, this time and her welts have cleared up all on their own within a couple of days of eating the new batch. We still have some scabs to heal up but all the swollen welts and bumps are gone and she feels sooooooo much better to touch.

So turns out she's allergic to Chicken Liver which means I'll be checking lables on her kibble should we ever change it in the future.

BlueJune

Lairian
If you cook the meat, doesn't that diminish the nutritional value and thus result in an incomplete diet? (I don't know much about this, so I'm curious.)

Also my baby has very mild skin issues that seem to have vastly improved on Acana grasslands (made primarily with lamb, which is hypoallergenic) and being bathed with Earthbath. Acana grasslands does have poultry, but her allergies don't seem bad. Her poo is now solid and her skin looks really good.
Isn't Acana Grasslands a dog food? Or does Acana make cat food as well? If so, where do you buy it, because all I've been able to find is Orijin cat food!

zooyork

Lairian
I got a lot of info from a few members off here. Yoda Mom is one of them. But her info was that Acana was getting to expensive so she switched brands to Nutrisource from chewy.com. If you call they have a free bag program (every 10th bag is free). I needed cat food so I went to a pet warehouse here that had amazing brands so I went with Diamond naturals kitten food. My kitty likes it and the ingredients list chicken first so that's always a good sign.

zooyork

Lairian
Isn't Acana Grasslands a dog food? Or does Acana make cat food as well? If so, where do you buy it, because all I've been able to find is Orijin cat food!
Acana is a good brand but kinda high priced. I was told to use a few other kinds
I got a lot of info from a few members off here. Yoda Mom is one of them. But her info was that Acana was getting to expensive so she switched brands to Nutrisource from chewy.com. If you call they have a free bag program (every 10th bag is free). I needed cat food so I went to a pet warehouse here that had amazing brands so I went with Diamond naturals kitten food. My kitty likes it and the ingredients list chicken first so that's always a good sign.

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
For most of this year we have been on Hills Z/D wet and dry and kangaroo for one cat and CD stew and Z/D dry with good results. TD caused a severe skin reaction.

Mariechovi

Lairian
I'm new to Sphynx cats and learning daily. Our cat is 6mo and arrived at our door with a bag of dry kibble. We switched him slowly to kitten kibble and added a brand of wet food, checking ingredients carefully. Recently he began breaking out in pimple spots, they don't bother him but bother me, so now Im guessing its a food reaction. Is there a wet food I can buy commercially all recommend?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm new to Sphynx cats and learning daily. Our cat is 6mo and arrived at our door with a bag of dry kibble. We switched him slowly to kitten kibble and added a brand of wet food, checking ingredients carefully. Recently he began breaking out in pimple spots, they don't bother him but bother me, so now Im guessing its a food reaction. Is there a wet food I can buy commercially all recommend?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
What is the brand and what is the main ingredient. Commercial brands are hard. Look for something with no "byproduct" or "meal" in the ingredient. My boy is on Fish based purina pro plan and does well. Chicken often what they allergic to because its wildly used. I'd keep him on a food for a few weeks to make sure and then change is slowly as to not shock his system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zooyork

Lairian
I know mine broke out because of scented cat litter, also I washed him and he was sensitive to baby wash. I change litter to 99.9% dustless fragrance free. and Hylyt shampoo off Chewy. For food I always stick with grain free.

Doron

Lairian
Each cat is an individual, and will have its own preferences on food, so it’s mostly about what your cat wants to eat. As with anything health-related, it’s a good idea to talk this over with your vet. If this is a new pet, many veterinary offices will have a free “get to know you” introductory visit where you can ask about dietary needs. Since we can’t examine your cat, and we don’t know its medical history, we can only speak in generalities.

You want to make sure to read and compare ingredients on several brands in your price range to make sure that you’re getting the highest quality possible.

Sphynx generally have a high metabolism, and need plenty to eat. Many Sphynx owners comment that they never seem to feel full, and a friend of mine jokes that her little darling Sphynx must have a black hole in its stomach.

Eating also helps keep them warm, which is a plus since they don’t have a thick coat of fur to help regulate body temperature.

Unlike other cats, it’s fine to leave food out for them all the time in most cases because of that high metabolism. However, you should weigh your cat regularly. It’s easiest to first weigh yourself without the cat, then hold the cat and weigh again, subtracting your weight to get the cat’s weight. If it starts gaining weight, scale back the food or switch to a lower calorie food (and seek your vet’s advice since this may mean your cat has a thyroid issue).

Mariechovi

Lairian
Happy to report we changed to Instinct brand rabbit kibble and they also do raw, what a difference all around in his skin and more. I owe you here the credit for all the input and info. Thank you!

Sent from my HONOR 5X using Tapatalk

Mariechovi

Lairian
Trial and error we narrowed the culprit to either grains or chicken, possibly both. He looks wonderful since being on rabbit.

Sent from my HONOR 5X using Tapatalk

Zyra

Lairian
Hi guys, sorry if this is a repeat question but I have heard sphynx are very prone to urticaria pigmentosa and this can be avoided / treated with fatty acid supplements. I am thus going to start putting some in baby's food as a preliminary measure - can someone please recommend a good one? Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zyra , very good question about fatty acid supplements

I think it would be helpful if you post a new thread titling fatty acid supplements ? Regarding uticaria pigmentosa
So all members will see and reply with suggestions

Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition

I know myself and other members , @Chelseaboy would be interested in the fatty acid suggestions as to what works well too

I know l-Lysine powder is often supplemented mixed in food or treat form and is Given as an immune boosted .

Don't forget to use the search box in the upper right of the home page using key words and be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the pages for "similar threads" that are filled with useful information

Keep us updated

NekidKats

Lairian
If you have a cat with dietary issues you should definitely try RAW and do it with the knowledge that it will almost always help. It takes true dedication for animals that have never had a diet of anything except JUNK FOOD which most canned food or kibble could be considered if you compare the actual ingredients and their needs. I've seen amazing results from it and the effect on a Sphynx's skin is unmistakably remarkable.