Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx with Skin Conditions - What are you feeding?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My kitt gets a rash around her neck and some on her body, little red itchy ones if she eats commercial can or pouches with grains. She also gets sloppy poop on it. I tried Royal Canin pouches, but no go. Whiskas kitten, no.
Currently she is on a variety of things.

- Ziwipeak canned lamb (apparently raw equivalent) (no grains)
- Ultimates Digestive Sensitivity, a canned chicken in broth with no grains
- human grade minced raw beef (trailing Complete Mix raw addative)

So far havnt found a dry food that is nice. Royal Canin kitten made for bad poop.
Tried Australian brand VIP Grain free dry cat food, no.

Recently released brand in Aus. Is Applause grain and cereal free. Gives her gas and bloated but poops fine.

Tried vip kangaroo steak they told me it was 100 percent steak well she got the worst hives so they lied.

Digestive sensitivity chicken giving to my rex cos he has flutd and is in s/o food but also vomits up his food this has helped.

What is ziwipeak brand? Does your kitty hate dry too?

megnach

Lairian
For the first few months Moose had constant runny poo which led to poop foot several times a day, he finally has soild poo on Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Weight Control (kitten food was a no go for him) and GNC Digestive Support treats.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Tried vip kangaroo steak they told me it was 100 percent steak well she got the worst hives so they lied.

Digestive sensitivity chicken giving to my rex cos he has flutd and is in s/o food but also vomits up his food this has helped.

What is ziwipeak brand? Does your kitty hate dry too?

Ziwipeak is a New Zealand brand, I highly reccomend it for any cat if they aren't allergic to the ingredients. It's been the best wet food I can find, retort cooked and grain free.
http://www.ziwipeak.com/

My kitty doesn't hate dry, unfortunately she loves it and has the tendency to pig out on it and not eat her wet food. So i dont give it to her much because wet is better. She has always been like that according to the breeder. She probably developed an aversion to wet as she was being fed ones with grain at the breeder.

SarahLovee82

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No skin issues but Starla has IBD & the only thing that REALLY works & gives a good solid poo is raw. I am ashamed to say that I am slacking on the raw though. My issue with raw is that I don't have the time for it. In the morning if I feed them raw sometimes they gobble it up & other times they take a lick & then walk away. I don't have a ton of time to wait around for them to be hungry. & then sometimes I work late so I feel it isn't fair to them to have to wait on me to get home to eat so I leave kibble out for them.
Grain free helped, but not like raw. So we compromise now. I give raw at night & they have kibble during the day. Its the best I can do.

CMPapineau

Lairian
Alot of us Sphynxie parents have troubles with sensitive tummys. I have been researching and have come up with a list of most common ingredients that are bothersome just in case it can help anyone. If anyone has any to add that would be great.

1. corn gluten/corn meal
2.wheat gluten
3.soy
4.meat by products
5.BHA and BHT
6.Eggs
7.milk/dairy
8. Proteins: chicken,turkey,fish,pork,beef,lamb
9. Food dyes: Friskies and Fancy Feast use dyes in their canned food

If your cat is sensitive to a) chicken, it can also cross over to turkey and duck, eggs
and cows milk
b) beef, it can also cross over to lamb and venison

What can your cats eat for protein if they are allergic to all those proteins?

jussiolavi

Lairian
I don't know if you can get this food but the best for my semi sensitive Fiona is Animondas Carny range. It's only meat and intestines it's also relatively cheap. I had to try several foods before I found the Carny range. I highly recomend it!

Sphynxsugar

Lairian
:oops:*This thread is for sphynx that have a skin conditon/allergy/irritable bowel syndrome only*:p

Hi I know this has been asked a bit in all different threads but I think it would be helpful in a dedicated thread so nothing is lost and you don't have to jump around to other threads to get the information.

It will be useful for those cats who are highly food allergic and on elimination trials and it's a way of tracking progress.

So - if you have a sphynx with a skin condition.

What are you feeding your sphynx that works?
What were you feeding your sphynx that didn't work (ie made their skin condition flare up/worse/runs?

Thank you :) hope this thread can help sphynxies with skin issues.

My answer:

Kangaroo cooked works

Everything else such as allergy free foods (hills science z/d), bal cal powder, balance it powder, goat - hasn't worked.

Generic royal canin food doesn't work.

:X3:THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING OUR BABIES!:)
Together we can make a difference.:cat:
I am feeding my cats zija moringa liquid, L-lysine, organic Go! Dry food chicken, organic raw chicken and never had issues, no allergic and no sensitive stomach because the moringa had highly anti-inflammation to prevent from get allergic also high in nutrition and vitamins. No grain, GMO, no vegetable. Only meat they eat

Sphynxsugar

Lairian
So far we are on venison and pea and that seems to be doing well enough. It is a diet from royal canin vet line. Very few ingredients.
Danser has IBD and she is doing well on the venison also! Good surprise. It took me years to find stuff that wouldn't cause her to have constant runny poo.

The NO list goes as:
Poultry of any kind chicken duck turkey pheasant
Wheat
Corn
Soy
Potato
Rice
Barley
Sorghum
Beef
Lamb
No dairy...like whey is added to some foods
Eggs

We might have to outlaw fish also. Sad.....everyone loves freeze dried salmon.
They need to banned the fish because cats don't eat the fish, only meat such as chicken, mouse and small animal. It is part of their genetic of ancestor had eaten in the wild. I don't feed my cats fish, only raw meat and dry chicken Go! Without GMO, corn, grains, chemical. And moringa too

SphynxAliens

Lairian
We have one cat, Victoria, that had diarrhoea-like stools every time she used the litter box (about 5 times daily). When we first got her, at 3 months, we started her on Royal Canin kitten, but after about 2 months switched to Gastro-Intestinal. Then when that didn't work we tried sensitive, then hypoallergenic, then switched to 'Happy Cat' to no avail, and then 'Applaws', again with no benefit. We didn't know what to do and our vet was at a loss (we had tried things products through her advice). We went to France for a months holiday, bringing both Victoria and Luna, and decided that while there we would scrap all her food immediately and start making our own meals. When we got her (in March) she weighed 2kg, by August she was only 2.2kg, and her growth was stunted as a result (she's a very small cat).

In France we bought whole quails, chicken, liver/kidneys (of various animals, France do all types of meats) and boiled them all whole, before removing all the flesh and as much marrow as could be scraped from the bones. She got everything, heart/lungs/skin etc, and we blended it all up with some Royal Canin kitten milk (the only thing that didn't upset her). After a month in France her weight jumped to 2.6kg!!! (and her poops were small and none smelly, an added benefit)

When we returned home to Ireland we decided to stick with making our own meals, so she got lots of cooked treats. We then heard of 'Natural Instincts', based in the UK, which supplies raw foods for cats. We decided to switch all our cats to raw (as it was too awkward trying to stop Victoria getting at our other cats dry food) and we have never looked back! We've been feeding raw since September and have had no more bouts of diarrhoea, she's put on weight and now is even getting a little bit chubby! Other benefits seem to be that their skin is less oily and smoother, they are more active than they used to be with good muscle tone, and our dog no longer tries to eat their poo as it doesn't have that delicious protein smell that dry foods give off!! :D

Our other cats took to raw with relish, and we haven't looked back. Though I understand switching can be hard for some, I have a friend whose cat has never eaten anything but on type of Royal Canin dry, and so refuses to eat the raw. We're lucky in that our cats are all still relatively young and are also greedy little monsters. :)

ShamMeow

Lairian
Noticed I was tagged in this thread, but Vince hasn't had any issues since we switched to raw- we only feed homemade or Stella and Chewy's if traveling. Always chicken only, no grain, egg, or seeds.

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are feeding Wellness grain free -wet and dry. At the beginning Yorik, who was on raw diet with his breeder, had a tummy problem -- but in about 6-7 month it all stopped and I am happy to report we do not have any issues.. neither with tummy, nor with skin.

Justine88

Lairian
Hello all,

I actually have been meaning to post here for a while to give advice and what worked for Valentino's re-occurring diarrhea and horrifically pungent poo.
after months of trial and error i now feed him

(Royal canine hypoallergenic) dry food, as advised by my vet.
and i also feed him
Almo Nature (RAW) packs, in chicken and tuna 2 x a day. Not only does he love it both the dry and raw packs, but sure enough his poos are solid now, i would have tried this sooner but he was too young to eat it these foods, since it is meant for adult cats. The Raw packs are quite expensive about £1.05 a sachet (55 g), but it costs me about the same in wet food as before because he eats less due to the high protein content (75 %).

I would urge all of you to try this! it is great because he gets his lysine and other nutritional needs from the dry food, and then i don't have to add anything additional to the wet food.

Hope this post was useful to someone!

SphynxKitty

Lairian
I had a sphynx with IBD and I ended up feeding him the z/d feline diet from Hills Veterinary Diets. I work at a veterinary hospital so that helped keep the cost down with this very expensive food. Especially as I ended up putting ALL my cats on it...

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This food caused the severest reactions she has had see pics in other thread. I am particularly interested to hear how all the kitty's are doing. Especially the new babies. Ella has been on kangaroo only for two months but the vet is looking a a rechallenge to broaden her nutritional intake I am scared.
I had a sphynx with IBD and I ended up feeding him the z/d feline diet from Hills Veterinary Diets. I work at a veterinary hospital so that helped keep the cost down with this very expensive food. Especially as I ended up putting ALL my cats on it...

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
During the past elimination trial of two months ella accidentally ate the royal canin urinary s/0 wet food from my other cats bowl she did not react on the two occasions that this occurred my vet today has asked me to add some of this food to her kangaroo meat because of this as part of a rechallenge and possible long term nutritional whole food. I have also been in touch with the company to get more information. So scared right now.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
During the past elimination trial of two months ella accidentally ate the royal canin urinary s/0 wet food from my other cats bowl she did not react on the two occasions that this occurred my vet today has asked me to add some of this food to her kangaroo meat because of this as part of a rechallenge and possible long term nutritional whole food. I have also been in touch with the company to get more information. So scared right now.

Keeping fingers crossed that it turns out to be something she can tolerate!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you so much it is very unconventional and goes against everything we thought she might be allergic to but we have to give it a go and I need to listen to the vets help it's gone on too long

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I rechallenged Ella as follows and she has reacted she also feels very hot to touch. I will cease this food as this food has given her hives.

4/1/14 – Start 1 tablespoon of urinary s/o wet food nightly mixed in with roo.

5/1/14 – small hives develop in groin and back armpits and the top of right ear after second tablespoon of urinary s/o wet food. Cease.

I am waiting on the vet to let me know how long we need to wait before challenging something new again.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ash has IBD and the vet put him on Hill's Science Diet D/D venison & pea formula for sensitive skin. It has helped his IBD and has revitalized his coat and brought back his waves.

anika

Lairian
Still in trial. We started her on California naturals. She got bad diarrhea on that so we switch to royal canin hypoallergenic (orange bag) she did fine for about 3months when I decided to slowly switch to royal canin sphynx I thought it would be okay because it's the same brand. Well she got sick on it so we went back to hypoallergenic. Then about another 3months I notice a rash on her legs. I went to a pet store and talked to the owner, she suggested healing spray (flower infused witch hazel good stuff!) and raw instinct rabbit (dry kibble with only four ingredients) Omg nala loved it, we transitioned slowly and the rash disappeared within a week maybe two and her poo was good too and she was happy! Then we left to Costa Rica and forgot to tell the sitter that she doesn't eat the royal canin anymore (there was 4cans of wet left) so nala ate four cans in ten days and ten when I got back I continued with the raw instincts and I don't know exactly what happened if it was too much too soon or just a flip flop in food too quickly. She got sick. So after a vet visit just in case we decided to switch back to royal canin. Well we are on that now and you guessed it: she has the worst rash, flaky, red skin ever! So we thought what's worst: puking her guys out, or a rash? So we tried treating It by using healing spray and supplementing coconut oil in we diet and rubbing on rash. It made her less itchy you could tell but it wasn't benefiting in long term healing. So I just got back from pharmacy, got an anti itch cream with pain relief (lidocaine) and chlorpheniramine (anti histamine) and I'm mixing her royal canin with raw instincts wet duck and turkey. It's been an hour since I put the medicine on an gave her medicine, no real change. Less red then when using coconut oil. I wanna get prednisone for her and switch to 'now' brand. Rookie my black cat has endured all the diff foods no problem. Poor Nala! She does seem less itchy actually. I made her a little bed beside me and she sleeps with me without a cone on until she wants to wonder around. Ya so raw instincts I think is good but I'm sad she got so sick on it... Weird. And I hope now works if not than maybe that blue buffalo. It looks so bad I know, i can't think straight or live normally with her like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390269948.398389.jpg

Back