Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynxie on bannister . . . help!

cherp

Lairian
My worst fear was realized this week. For the first time, Zoey jumped on our bannister rail upstairs and was walking on it! She has never done this before . . . she is about 11 months old now and I find her constantly looking up! My daughter and I were freaking out. Our house has an open stair case from the top floor right down to the basement . . . a fall of three stories. I was so scared I didn't want to startle her or approach her, but I did take her down and say no just to have her jump up there again! I don't know what to do. I am scared witless. I can't really block anything off or net/cover anything. I did have one thought and wondered if anyone has tried this. I bought some plastic carpet runner . . . the one with the little picky bits sticking down that grip the carpet. What if I somehow attach it to the bannister with the picky bits sticking up so that when her paws touch them she would be repelled by that. My only concern is if she hits those bits and freaks out, jumps up and falls. Any help with this would be much appreciated. I am scared to leave the house.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh my! I am glad Zoey is okay.. I no longer have stairs but I will try to think creative to help ..( I am notorious for kitty project ideas! ) are there high places set up for Zoey that she can learn is more fun than the bannister?

I have a kitty cat climber that is a huge winner here! I put treats on it randomly and it is now Like a jungle gym of fun.. It bounces on the door which they really like for some strange reason.. I had it bolted somewhere else and moved it temporarily when company came 2 weeks ago. I put the catsmart climber on the back of the door..close enough they can jump from it to the Bed bridge wall unit.. I thought of some extra home depot like little shelves too..
I would try redirecting training as soon as she even gives a glance at the bannister.. Make a party of fun somewhere else away from the bannister.. Or even a spray bottle when she glances at it.. And a firm "eh eh nooooo" and direct to somewhere else fun. I would put her up in a safe room when I left the house until it gets resolved..

I am sure folks will come in with some ideas! I just wanted to say I am glad Zoey is okay..

Yoda mom

Staff member
I never had kids but just thinking some of the baby forums may have some ideas or products used for kids that is good for sphynxies too..

Can u go up and block off the top straight rail to the ceiling? Something decorative?

cherp

Lairian
I did see the post about MiniE and it really scared me. Thank you for the suggestions re cat climbers, etc. I am going to try to redirect her when I can, and I did leave her in my bedroom last night when I went out. I like the idea of the baby forums also. And I am going to try to see if I can block off the top rail up to the ceiling. I don't care what it looks like . . . I just want her to be safe.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My worst fear was realized this week. For the first time, Zoey jumped on our bannister rail upstairs and was walking on it! She has never done this before . . . she is about 11 months old now and I find her constantly looking up! My daughter and I were freaking out. Our house has an open stair case from the top floor right down to the basement . . . a fall of three stories. I was so scared I didn't want to startle her or approach her, but I did take her down and say no just to have her jump up there again! I don't know what to do. I am scared witless. I can't really block anything off or net/cover anything. I did have one thought and wondered if anyone has tried this. I bought some plastic carpet runner . . . the one with the little picky bits sticking down that grip the carpet. What if I somehow attach it to the bannister with the picky bits sticking up so that when her paws touch them she would be repelled by that. My only concern is if she hits those bits and freaks out, jumps up and falls. Any help with this would be much appreciated. I am scared to leave the house.

You could turn the carpet runner, picky side up and run it along the banister. She might no get close to it because she knows
it will stick her feet.

Back