Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Splitting nails

JeriLeighR

Lairian
I have had my first sphynx (my first cat ever) for about 4 months now. When I got him from a young lady who was moving, his nails were black and caked, looked awful. I have been cleaning them and they look great, except for one thing. They keep splintering, like layers coming off. He cries when I trim them and it seems to split them even more. I have tried different cutters from different stores, and none seem to work, what could be wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

PitRottMommy

Banned
This can be a sign of a metabolic disease. I would recommend visiting with your veterinarian and discussing diet and potential vitamin supplementation. There may be something missing from the diet or an underlying problem that could be causing the nails to split.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I agree run it by the vet, have you tried regular human nail clippers? thats what we found best. You just clip the tips. Actually Sphynx Lair is going to feature a few videos of Sphynx care tips very soon, maybe this will help some members. There many ways to "skin a cat" but our way has worked best for us.
Oh by the way welcome to Sphynx Lair and we hope you enjoy your stay here!:Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I know that cats have A layer of claw that splits and breaks away on the outside could that be what is splitting? Or is it the nail all the way down to the bottom? If it is just the outside it is fine. If it is the nail and not just the outside shell then it could be A problem and I would talk to your vet. We do use human nail clippers and I have the best luck with them, and trim once A week. If when you got him his nails where not being done they would be thicker then if they where done weekly, if you keep trimming the tips every week this should get better! Good luck and welcome. What is your boys name? and we love pictures!:Wink:

JeriLeighR

Lairian
Yes, it is the outside layer that is coming off, that is normal? This is my first cat so I am still learning the ropes. He is almost 2 years old. He came with the name of Chewie (after Chewbacca ironically). He is such a fun cat and loves playing with my 3 dogs and the 6 puppies I am fostering. Thanks for the advice. I have tried human nail clippers, they seemed to work the best, although he has thick nails. Will the outside layer always be coming off, or is it a seasonal thing? Thanks so much.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It is normal for the outside layer to come off if the nails are thicker but it is like A protective cover, so you want to try to keep it, just keep trimming at least once A week, and use sharp clippers not dull because once the cover is gone you can split the nail and that would hurt your boy. Wow lots of puppies I have one now and don't think I could handle any more!:Sweat:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Yes, it is the outside layer that is coming off, that is normal? This is my first cat so I am still learning the ropes. He is almost 2 years old. He came with the name of Chewie (after Chewbacca ironically). He is such a fun cat and loves playing with my 3 dogs and the 6 puppies I am fostering. Thanks for the advice. I have tried human nail clippers, they seemed to work the best, although he has thick nails. Will the outside layer always be coming off, or is it a seasonal thing? Thanks so much.

Shedding of the outside is normal, but pain is not. This indicates that something is wrong and the nerve is being stimulated. I would run this by your veterinarian before assuming everything is okay. Like I said, it can be a sign of metabolic disease. It's easier to treat any affliction before it becomes a big deal, therefore you need to see your vet.

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have been cleaning Harley's nails every 3-4 days, they are always nasty when I do. But at the Edge by the quick it seems to just not want to come off. Is there anything that I can use or a trick someone knows to make this easier on both me and him? He is such a good sport about it, I don't want him to get to the point he hates it though.:Question:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Re: Help with Nails???

Unless you're causing him pain, he shouldn't get to a point where he dislikes something like having his nailbeds cleaned. The edge collects debris because of its contours.

1) Try soaking his feet in the bath before cleaning (ie. run 2" of water in the bath with a few squirts of dawn soap and have him stand in there for about 2 minutes before cleaning the nails, it will break up the debris)

2) Obtain an emory board used for human nails and give them a quick once-over on the tips to file past the debris.

To be honest, what you're concerned about really doesn't affect his health and is only for aesthetic purposes. Don't be too concerned if you can't get ahead of this problem, it's not something that will cause him problems in the future. Your simple nail bed cleaning is the most important to stay ahead of bacterial and yeast infections. Good luck!

Back