Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

St. Louis Cattery questions

MikkiJean

Lairian
If anyone knows anything about St. Louis catteries please PM me. I have a few questions about one.

Should this worry me?
"We are a CFA Cattery of Excellence (We have dropped this certification. We still meet the requirements, but found no need for it)"

susi794

Staff member
I bought one of mine from a "CFA Cattery of Excellence" and she came to me with some kind of sickness that infected my entire group of cats and killed 30 out of 32 kittens that were born shortly after her arrival--it almost bankrupted me. I got an email of over the counter medicine recipes from the breeder--not even an "I'm sorry for your loss." Only an ugly accusation that my vet didn't know how to treat these cats and that the cat was supposedly not sick when she left there. So being a cattery of excellence means squat. Look closer at other things--ask for references, google the cattery and breeder name plus the word "complaints", ask other folks who know this place, ask for the phone number of the vet they use. Those things will tell you way more than the cattery of excellence thing. As far as I'm concerned, they should all drop it--it evidently means nothing anyway.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If anyone knows anything about St. Louis catteries please PM me. I have a few questions about one.

Should this worry me?
"We are a CFA Cattery of Excellence (We have dropped this certification. We still meet the requirements, but found no need for it)"

This comment made my red flags go up. Not many people drop positive endorsements. But then again after reading Susi's post the "Cattery of Excellence" lable doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I bought one of mine from a "CFA Cattery of Excellence" and she came to me with some kind of sickness that infected my entire group of cats and killed 30 out of 32 kittens that were born shortly after her arrival--it almost bankrupted me. I got an email of over the counter medicine recipes from the breeder--not even an "I'm sorry for your loss." Only an ugly accusation that my vet didn't know how to treat these cats and that the cat was supposedly not sick when she left there. So being a cattery of excellence means squat. Look closer at other things--ask for references, google the cattery and breeder name plus the word "complaints", ask other folks who know this place, ask for the phone number of the vet they use. Those things will tell you way more than the cattery of excellence thing. As far as I'm concerned, they should all drop it--it evidently means nothing anyway.

What a horrible thing to have happen, Susi. I can't imagine having to handle that degree of such devastation. It must have wrecked havoc on your heart as well. Glad you made it through!

holly_savage

Banned
well said Suzi, I too have wondered about this. I was recently looking at the forms / questionaire that has to be filled out by a vet during a home visit to get your "Cattery of Excellence" on the TICA website and was amazed that it is mostly just a hygenic / visual inspection thing. I seems that because a person cleaned up for the day the vet comes for his visit, doesn't mean that it's always that clean...as with almost everything in life, there are ways to beat the system.
The whole thing seems kind of empty to me.

susi794

Staff member
And the sad part about it is that seeing that CFA endorsement appears to mean something to poor unsuspecting fools like me. I will never again be duped by such a thing.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey MikkiJean I just got a kitten at the end of May from that cattery. The house was very clean and I didn't smell anything but it's on a farm so I didn't visit all the out buildings. My kitten was healthy for the most part. No indications of hcm and all contagious diseases and parasites tests were negative. She started sneezing and having runny eyes about a week after I got her so I'm taking her into the vet this week. But she is very active and vigorous and eats like a piglet so I don't think its serious. Also I don't know the incubation period on those two issues so she may have just gotten a cold.

She did have an injury scar that I was not told about until I got there and was not given the option of picking a different kitty or getting a discount as it is noticeable on the back. However I dont show and she has a good personality so I decided to keep her.

Also my kitty was spayed and microchipped, which was nice, but don't expect any type of kitten pack (even food samples!) which was not so nice. And from what I understand they're relocating to North Carolina soon. The kitty I got from the cattery is Buffy if you want to look at her in my albums.

I'm getting a kitten in September from a cattery out your way in Overland Park. She still has kittens listed on her web-site and I'll pm you (if I can figure it out) if you want to look at them.

susi794

Staff member
This comment made my red flags go up. Not many people drop positive endorsements. But then again after reading Susi's post the "Cattery of Excellence" lable doesn't necessarily mean anything.

What a horrible thing to have happen, Susi. I can't imagine having to handle that degree of such devastation. It must have wrecked havoc on your heart as well. Glad you made it through!

It was devastating! Cost me THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars, almost lived at the vets, cried myself to sleep almost every night while I held another precious baby in my hands as it slipped across the Bridge. I tube fed, took kits to work with me, begged, prayed, vomited, hardly slept--my heart and spirit were broken. Enter my Sphynx Lair family--they sent boxes of things--lysine treats, beds, clothes, gift cards, books, teddy bears, candy, cards and money. Almost every day or so another box or letter of love would appear at my door. I cried so many tears of gratitude over that outpouring of love. To think that people who had never laid eyes on me would do something so wonderful was amazing to say the least. No one around here could believe that anything like that could ever happen. I am a divorced school teacher and have a partial disability that makes extra jobs out of the realm of possibility and it drained my savings account and had to borrow money from my sister to make it. The kindness of all of the people who sent me their love was overwhelmingly beautiful. I will never forget their kindness.
The breeder I used was not helpful. Her contract read that she isn't responsible for any damages that her animals cause to you, and she never offered a dime in assistance. Lulu was sneezing right off the plane. I quarantined her for a week, tooke her to the vet for the URI and thought she was over it. Let her in with the others, and BINGO! Everyone was sick. My vet good naturedly scolded me for bringing her into my closed operation. The breeder wrote me back and said that it sounded like I didn't love Lulu and that she was sorry she sold her to me. I adore Lulu--she isn't to blame for what she did to me. Anyway, life is better now. Nobody is sick (to my knowledge) and I love my cats more than anything. But I also love the Lair!

Inferno12

Banned
Johnnys breeder is a TICA cattery of excellence (I think thats their term). She does not advertise it on her webpage, just mentions it on her facebook page. When you walk into her house you would never know she had cats until you saw the little angels running around. It is the cleanest house ever! I am amazed at how she keeps her cattery. I know that she has been told my several inspector types that her house is the cleanest that they have ever seen. I guess this goes to show that no matter what they say, do your research on the breeder.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't think necessarily dropping the endorsement is a bad thing... Really- it's a money issue. Those titles 'Cattery of Excellence' usually are bought for like $50 from the cat associations. Yes, you have to follow their instructions, but like someone mentioned- the requirements aren't strenuous.

Me? I have more important things to spend $50. Vet care, toys, good cat food, etc.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The breeder I used was not The breeder wrote me back and said that it sounded like I didn't love Lulu and that she was sorry she sold her to me.

After reading your post, the breeder's comment was like knife to the heart. I'm glad you had all the generous and loving members of SL to get you through and soothe all the saddness and hardships with love.

I have to admit that TICA and/or CFA "Cattery of Excellence" endorsement pulled a lot of weight with me up until I read these posts. I had no idea you could buy the label for your cattery for $50. Not only did I assume that all of these catteries were physically clean upon inspection, but also were known for excellent breeding with regards to health, temperment, and type. I wonder how many inncocent buyers who thought they did their homework get duped.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It means nothing.
My sister fell for that and guess what she got a phony rex.
Also most the catteries in St Louis I would not go near.
That area has many bad breeders.
TICA and/or CFA "Cattery of Excellence means nothing and is easy to get.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What is a phony Rex?

Did you see the super cute Sphynx sweaters I put on Ebay, Jacky? I don't think I'm allowed to link them here, but oh- they are cute!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes I did.
They are very nice.
My sister was getting a Devon Rex and the breeder gave 100 off because the hair was to short.
Well the furs is longer then a Persian and she lied about who the sire and dam were.
CFA said my sister should sue her.
TICA would have done something put her Rex are not TICA registered.
BTW the cat weighs 16 pounds now.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You really need to be careful.
There are so many bad breeders out there.
When my sister confronted her she removed the pictures off her site.

MikkiJean

Lairian
Thank you everybody!! You are all so wonderful. I am not rushing into anything and making sure I come here first before I do anything!!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The whole time my cats had chlamydia they were eating drinking and running around like normal. It could be more then "just a cold".

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Should this worry me?

Yes! I know exactly who this Cattery is! Do not go there! I have a SEVERELY ill kitty from there right now!!!!!!!!

Back