Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stanky bottoms and runny poo..

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well just when one issue gets resolved..another pops up. In the last 2 weeks both girls poo has become gas mask worthy in stank. As well as soft and from soft to semi-formed to pudding puddles. We have not changed there food in the last month. currently they are on half and half of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and Wilderness Kitten dry kibble and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten wet food. They get dry kibble all the time and wet morning and night. They used to share 1/2 a 3oz can morning and night, but since the poo has become anything but solid I have cut the wet back to 1/4th of a can shared morning and night which is a tiny dab to do there L-Lysine in. Malina was just spayed Saturday so she had a pannel of test run before hand and last Wendsday she went in to make sure her respitory issue was cleared so we could go threw with the spay and they did do a fecal and nothing came up. So now I'm needing idea's, other food brand options idea's ect. I am considering getting caned pumpkin (not pumpkin filling) to try to see if it will firm them up. I had thought it was just from all the anti-biotics they have been on since they came home clearing the respitory junk up with (which thank the lord they are both free and clear!) I also scoop litter boxes daily some times twice a day and every other week clean the litter out completely and wash with dish soap dry and refill with clean litter. Our DSH Joe eats the same as the girls just no wet food as he is a picky butt and his poo's are perfect. They are active as all get out have good appetites and drink lots of water from there fountain..soo I'm at a loss!

So in Short HELP!!:Hysterical:

SpinkieMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well just when one issue gets resolved..another pops up. In the last 2 weeks both girls poo has become gas mask worthy in stank. As well as soft and from soft to semi-formed to pudding puddles. We have not changed there food in the last month. currently they are on half and half of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and Wilderness Kitten dry kibble and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten wet food. They get dry kibble all the time and wet morning and night. They used to share 1/2 a 3oz can morning and night, but since the poo has become anything but solid I have cut the wet back to 1/4th of a can shared morning and night which is a tiny dab to do there L-Lysine in. Malina was just spayed Saturday so she had a pannel of test run before hand and last Wendsday she went in to make sure her respitory issue was cleared so we could go threw with the spay and they did do a fecal and nothing came up. So now I'm needing idea's, other food brand options idea's ect. I am considering getting caned pumpkin (not pumpkin filling) to try to see if it will firm them up. I had thought it was just from all the anti-biotics they have been on since they came home clearing the respitory junk up with (which thank the lord they are both free and clear!) I also scoop litter boxes daily some times twice a day and every other week clean the litter out completely and wash with dish soap dry and refill with clean litter. Our DSH Joe eats the same as the girls just no wet food as he is a picky butt and his poo's are perfect. They are active as all get out have good appetites and drink lots of water from there fountain..soo I'm at a loss!

So in Short HELP!!:Hysterical:

Some more info about when/what type/how long they were on the antibiotics would be helpful, but that sounds like the culprit. The pumpkin will help, but you will need to put them on probiotics to replace all the good bacteria in their stomaches the antibiotics killed. To my knowledge the only brand specifically made for the type cats have in their stomaches is made by Purina and only available by prescription.

Hope your kits feel better soon...

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They have basicaly been on antibiotics from July 5th till last Wendsday. In that time each kit may have had 1 week of no antibiotics. Due to URI's then sinus infections. We have done amoxicillin, Orbax (only 4 days worth), 2 rounds of clavamox and the last was azithromycin. They kept passing it back and forth to each other and the azithromycin kicked it for good. Now we have the poo issue, which would have started shortly after the start of azithromycin.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would keep an eye on them and see if it clears, switching food or feeding habits will make it confusing to exhaust all avenues and find the culprit. Is your DSH an outdoor cat?

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would keep an eye on them and see if it clears, switching food or feeding habits will make it confusing to exhaust all avenues and find the culprit. Is your DSH an outdoor cat?

Nope our DSH only leaves the house for the vet. I did give them pumpkin (100% pure not pie filling) tonight a spoon full with 1/4th can of there normal wet food and L-lysine they gobbled it right up. Hoping that gets the poo at least formed. We are also looking into pro-biotics to try. Can you give them to much pumpkin? Surely two spoonfulls a day between two kits can't be to much can it? And try it for a few day or up to a week? We are going to the vet for the post op check up Monday for Malina so we will see a vet sooner then later.:ThumbsUp:

Back