Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Star my Ocicat.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I haven't really seen Star at all today, so when she finally did make an appearance i noticed that the inside of her eyelids were swollen and coming out through her eyes this is not the first time it has happened the first time it was really bad and i took her to the vet and he gave me zitromycin for her it helped and now it's happening again, when i got her over a year ago the people i got her off of said she had some kind of issue with her sinuses and she gets infections sometimes :Cry: but it just seems like lately it has been real bad for her, she has been tested for everything under the sun and the vet says she is in perfect health aside from this issue????? oh and when this happens she doesn't run a fever which the vet thought was odd, he said at least with a fever he would know that her body was trying to fight it off, i feel so bad because i can't cure her, does anyone else have this problem? or know of someone who does?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe Martice can help she shows Oci's.
I can ask her if you want me to.
I hope she feels better.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maybe Martice can help she shows Oci's.
I can ask her if you want me to.
I hope she feels better.

That would be wonderful Mews2much, i just can't figure it out and the vet just keeps doing the same things for her, they work but it always comes back and i just wish i could keep her healthy, she is just miserable when this happens and doesn't come near me :Cry:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I haven't really seen Star at all today, so when she finally did make an appearance i noticed that the inside of her eyelids were swollen and coming out through her eyes this is not the first time it has happened the first time it was really bad and i took her to the vet and he gave me zitromycin for her it helped and now it's happening again, when i got her over a year ago the people i got her off of said she had some kind of issue with her sinuses and she gets infections sometimes :Cry: but it just seems like lately it has been real bad for her, she has been tested for everything under the sun and the vet says she is in perfect health aside from this issue????? oh and when this happens she doesn't run a fever which the vet thought was odd, he said at least with a fever he would know that her body was trying to fight it off, i feel so bad because i can't cure her, does anyone else have this problem? or know of someone who does?

I see that your veterinarian has explored the chance of this being an infection--but what about an allergy or even a tear duct issue?

Even though the zithromycin is working, it doesn't mean that an allergy isn't present or that there isn't something wrong with the tear ducts. In either case, it can be an occasional flare up and it doesn't have to affect both eyes.

Because herpes can also cause the problem you're having, I hope you're already giving a daily dose of L-lysine not only to her but to all of your other cats (kittens included). As many tests as can be run, nothing is 100% and we cannot test against everything. Precaution is the best effort you can make.

Pbinky

Banned

Has she been tested for Calici virus, Chlamydia and Microplasm?? This is the upper respiratory infection group of viruses and bacteria. Any of these 3 can cause conjunctivitis in the eyes (sounds like what you are describing). My cats are being treated for this now as the little one tested positive for it. The test is a swab of the eyes, nose and throat. So now the boys are on 3 weeks of doxycyline and tetracycline ointment for their eyes. The little one is going to be tested again on this thursday as it's the last few days of treatment and we need to see if they need a longer treatment if the URI is still there.
I would explore this further if you haven't already with you little girl.
Good luck!

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I see that your veterinarian has explored the chance of this being an infection--but what about an allergy or even a tear duct issue?

Even though the zithromycin is working, it doesn't mean that an allergy isn't present or that there isn't something wrong with the tear ducts. In either case, it can be an occasional flare up and it doesn't have to affect both eyes.

Because herpes can also cause the problem you're having, I hope you're already giving a daily dose of L-lysine not only to her but to all of your other cats (kittens included). As many tests as can be run, nothing is 100% and we cannot test against everything. Precaution is the best effort you can make.

She test neg for chlamydia i'm not sure if he tested her for any of the other stuff, i'm giving all of the cats daily doses of L lysine because after the first bout of it i was afraid that it could have been herpes and i was freaked out but when i voiced my concerns to the vet he said he didn't think that was what it was? she even gets to sneezing and she does this thing that kinda sounds like coughing?? my first reaction was that is sounded and looked like herpes but he disagrees, this is my second vet that i've talk with about this. my other cats are fine they have never gotten sick or had runny eyes or anything so i have no clue but we are going back to the vet tomorrow so we will see what he says this time :Sad:

Back