Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Staring at the Wall??

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Hi everyone!

Happy Friday!

I know cats have a tendency to stare at walls because they are able to hear and see things that humans can't, but is it normal for him to be doing all for hours on end? Gollum's being doing it for hours a day for a few days now... He's even missing out on his daytime naps.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just simple words of encouragement?

I feel like it's a bit unusual.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Is it possiblr there are tiny bugs on the wall. My boy Ross one day started starring at the wall and kept staring and staring. Hours later he was still staring. I saw nothing and thought he was going nuts or so. But when I came real close to the wall I saw a tiny little bug thing. It was transparant and hard to see with the bare eye but the bug was there. Bug gone, Ross back to normal.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Is it possiblr there are tiny bugs on the wall. My boy Ross one day started starring at the wall and kept staring and staring. Hours later he was still staring. I saw nothing and thought he was going nuts or so. But when I came real close to the wall I saw a tiny little bug thing. It was transparant and hard to see with the bare eye but the bug was there. Bug gone, Ross back to normal.
Wow, yeah I've been reading all day how amazing/sensitive their sight and hearing can be. Astonishing.

I honestly think there may have been a mouse in my apartment. Wouldn't be the first time in these old Montreal buildings.

He caught a mouse a couple of months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he saw another one around that area and has been waiting for him to show up again.

It's just strange that he would do it for a couple of days in a row for hours at a time... lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
@gollumthesphynx , I will share a funny story... mine was staring at the ceiling.
I went outside and heard a faint meow in the soffit!! I had a stray kitten from the feral cat colony nearby who got in my attic thru roof vent!
caught him and took him to the nokill shelter for adoption

glad your gollum is doing great! hugs n head smooches

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
@gollumthesphynx , I will share a funny story... mine was staring at the ceiling.
I went outside and heard a faint meow in the soffit!! I had a stray kitten from the feral cat colony nearby who got in my attic thru roof vent!
caught him and took him to the nokill shelter for adoption

glad your gollum is doing great! hugs n head smooches
oh boy!! lol

poor little guy!

Okay so Gollum's back at it.... Attached a video!

Attachments

• IMG_6154.MOV
    18.5 MB

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
To me he looks like he's hanging out. For example, when I'm doing something in the kitchen my crew likes to hang around the kitchen and watch. It's like we are their TV.

If he does that by himself.....I have no idea.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
To me he looks like he's hanging out. For example, when I'm doing something in the kitchen my crew likes to hang around the kitchen and watch. It's like we are their TV.

If he does that by himself.....I have no idea.
It's hard to get a video of him just staring.

But now he's moved to my kitchen... just sitting there in the dark... lol

I'm not sure what to think. But he's sniffing some corners, so there must be something there?

Lukassmile

Lairian
Is there a possibility of vermin moving indoors for the winter? In my old Brooklyn apartment I had a mouse show up from behind my stove. But before I actually saw the beast my cat was staring at that stove for weeks. He was totally transfixed. Even after I plugged up all the holes and made it impossible for the mice to get in, he kept staring until I moved out Lmaoo.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Is there a possibility of vermin moving indoors for the winter? In my old Brooklyn apartment I had a mouse show up from behind my stove. But before I actually saw the beast my cat was staring at that stove for weeks. He was totally transfixed. Even after I plugged up all the holes and made it impossible for the mice to get in, he kept staring until I moved out Lmaoo.
10000000% they've moved indoors. nearly every apartment in montreal has a mice problem. just didn't realize how bad it was until now, clearly!
i also plugged up all the holes, i think??? maybe i missed a couple whoops.

but you can for sure hear them in the walls. i mean, if i can hear them, i can only imagine what he can hear.

basically, i'm just wondering if this is something i should be worried about, like if it's an issue with his cognitive function or behavior. but clearly, he's being a cat.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone!

Happy Friday!

I know cats have a tendency to stare at walls because they are able to hear and see things that humans can't, but is it normal for him to be doing all for hours on end? Gollum's being doing it for hours a day for a few days now... He's even missing out on his daytime naps.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just simple words of encouragement?

I feel like it's a bit unusual.
We saw this behavior when they are incredibly ill or in pain.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ah mice! If mice are running around behind/in between the walls that'll explain everything. It also explains the time lapse. I had a mouse in previous home. The mouse lived under my wooden floor in my bedroom. Every night at exactly 2.00 o'clock he started to do his circusact. He rolled with something and kept doing that for an hour. At 3.05 sharp he stopped and I could sleep again. I swear that mouse had a watch!;-).
Always good to check if your Gollum isn't in pain. But mice can be the explanation for the wall staring too

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
thanks for all your input!

so another update: i don’t think he slept much last night, if he did... it wasn’t through the night. i felt and heard him getting up and crawling back in with me.

i’ll probably try and take him to the vet today.... not sure what this could be tho?? he doesn’t have any other symptoms

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Here he it is again tonight... lol!
(Took the picture from the couch, too lazy to move :p)

But he was super normal during the day and the entire evening, but back at it like clockwork.

I really hope it is just mice or bugs... Hope it’s not a cognitive issue or a sign that he’s not well. I’ve made an appointment with the Vet in a week, but hopefully no additional symptoms appear, and the starting stops, OR he catches the damn thing hahahah

BD27BB20-56C4-4479-AF61-B2D4C985E4E8.jpeg

Back