Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Starting my first sphynx cattery

Lanuesphynx

Lairian
Hi sphynxlair! My husband and I are starting to plan creating our sphynx cattery in our home.

I want to know EVERYTHING.

How often have you needed to do a C Section?? How big is your queen sphynx?? How old are your queens when they start?? Do you prefer using a stud service or owning the king and having it all in house?? Does your king spray and mark all over the house if you do own him?? What kind of complications can happen??

I appreciate all of your comments and help! I'm researching anything and everything.

Lanuesphynx

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair. Hope breeders will chime in. Do you have a mentor who can guide you?
I have a couple breeders who run sphynx catteries or have in the past to help me, yes. But i am hoping to find a couple more to talk to about everything. I don't know if you know anyone on here that is?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lanuesphynx , from the breeders I know, it's not for the faint of heart, is very time consuming 24/7 and costly to be a reputable breeder. Sires Dams need to be regularly HCM scanned, tested etc. have to be prepared for fading kitty syndrome , complications, have an emergency vet on hand etc.. Imported kitties for the cattery can be upwards of several thousand dollars 4K plus for a breeding queens, stud sphynx. surely you have heard this from others in the breeding world. we do have breeder members that can PM :) keep in mind rules prevent soliciting for studs n queens or advertising kittens. Breeders can share one picture of their sweetbabies. here is just an fyi of rules regarding breeders:

"Breeders are welcome, please do not post links to your site or other breeders sites on Sphynxlair. This is a place for Sphynx owners, not for advertising or selling of cats or kittens. No requests for stud or queen services.
• Posting pictures of litters with intention to sell on Sphynxlair is not permitted. Breeders may post ONE picture of a litter to share. More than one may result in deletion."

Kudos to all that dedicate to breed for the betterment of sphynx. we see so many times cases of HCM, cases of corona, fip, eye issues and others health issues. research contracts too. as well as stud contracts to get familiar with how it works. be prepared for studs spraying. breeders I know use Anti icky poo unscented/scented. not sure if some use pants for the boys?

big hugs to you! it is a big undertaking of Love.. hugs n head smooches :)

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lanuesphynx , be prepared for the unexpected too. quick story. years ago I went to vashon island for a kitty. the well known breeder had contracted to have a stud at her home. well, poor thing was stressed and actually bit her! she was an elderly gal and it hit a vein, blood everywhere! had to take the ferry to get to a hospital. cat bites are nasty and can easily become infected. so I definitely would have all in writing if using stud service or co-breeding, co-owning. leave no details out

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I have a couple breeders who run sphynx catteries or have in the past to help me, yes. But i am hoping to find a couple more to talk to about everything. I don't know if you know anyone on here that is?

I know @momdeeze is. Maybe she's able to answer some question or can bring you in contact with other breeders