Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

starting to look

mudesign92

Lairian
Hello all!
We've made the decision to adopt an adult Sphynx, retired or a non-breeder. We're perfectly willing to drive a few states and spend the funds for a well bred family member. We've also done a bunch of research on care, etc.
My question is what is a a fair price for an adult (16 months and above) Sphynx?
I've had one breeder reply that her adult Sphynx is 19 months with a bit of hair on the paws and tail- and is asking $600.oo. I was under the impression that the less hair equals a higher priced Sphynx. Is this correct?
Also- what questions should I be asking breeders to make sure we're adopting a healthy Sphynx?
Thanks so much!
The Johnsons

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The price sounds ok to me.
I would ask the breeder if they scan for HCM and see if there is HCM in the lines.
My Wrinkles has more hair then my other 2 sphynx and she cost more then they did.
My other sphynx are better show quality then her also.
Can you pm the breeders site to me?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
$600.00 for a 19 month old retired breeder is a fair price I'd say. As for the hair issue, the more hair the cheaper the price is not the case. It really depends on a number of factors. My kitty Butterball is dang near completely hairless. He's got a little bit on his nose and that's really about it.

When you get down to it, price is usually determined by the the powers that run cat shows. If they say a kitty with a black tail is fashionable and desirable, breeders will charge more for that. To me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I sure is heck won't let some stranger tell me that since my cat doesn't have blue eyes or that it's got a freckle on his back that it doesn't deserve a first place ribbon.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When you get down to it, price is usually determined by the the powers that run cat shows. If they say a kitty with a black tail is fashionable and desirable, breeders will charge more for that.

:Cry: That shouldn't be the case and it really annoys me when it is. I always try to avoid breeders who charge more for certain eye colors or say this is a 'rare color' Color should have nothing to do with price.

Most people have a preference for a certain look/ color, but that shouldn't affect the price. If there is a difference in price between kitten, it should be more because of a difference in 'quality.' I would price a fuzzy pet home kitten for less than a 'perfect' type show/ breeding quality, but I wouldn't price a blue eyed more than a green eyed.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome mudesign92, I agree with color not having anything to do with price, and would say you should have no problem finding what you are looking for in the $400-$700 range it just may take some time but remember it is worth it.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome mudesign92, I agree with color not having anything to do with price, and would say you should have no problem finding what you are looking for in the $400-$700 range it just may take some time but remember it is worth it.
Definitely, especially if you are open to homing older cats/ or retired breeders. You might need to consider Sphynx from other states, whether that means a road trip or shipping. Widening your search will give you more options.

Good luck :ThumbsUp:

Back