Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stink Bomber

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey all! I feel kind of embarrased to ask this but i'm getting concerned. I feed my Sphynx Goodlife Recipe...it is a good brand with no fillers or bad stuff in it. But Kreacher is one gassy little guy!! And boy does it stink!! I have started calling him the Atomic Bomber cause every time you pick him up he farts, and I don't gag easily but i've gagged quite a few times off of it. It's worse than my husbands... I check his poops and they are soild..so I don't think it's a diarreah thing. Is this normal?? Is there anything I can do to make him less gassy? Of at least less potent? lol Please help!

Moonstone

Lairian
Do you let him the food all day long or do you give him the food in the morning and / or the evening ?

The cats needs to eat all day long, in small quantities but often. If he eats too much in one meal only it can be undigestible and gives him gas

If he eats all day long, try to change the food slowly.
The food is often the cause of this kind of problem.

Keep us informed about progress

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I knew I couldn't be the only one with this problem. I've tried several different things and nothing has seemed to work. The only way I can keep it to a minimum is feeding ButterBall Purina Pro Plan and water with no treats. But I'm a softy so I give him treats anyway. However, his problem seems to be improving with age. Or I'm just getting used to it. I've just about given up and learned to deal with it. My only suggestion would be to stick with one food and no treats for a week and see if it improves.

That reminds me. This morning ButterBall was being his normal chatty self while in the litter box. I knew what that meant so I grabbed my camera. I wanted to capture the sound of ButterBall's movement. Sure enough, right on cue, he lets out a little flatus. It was one of his smaller one's. I'll post it in the video section one of these days. I am a grown up child so I still laugh at fart jokes. Don't worry, I didn't film the poo.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
nbolin that is so funny. I could just picture a cat being picked up and a fart coming out. Next time you have a door to door saleman you could always reach down and pick up Kreacher with his butt aimed toward him. Bet they won't come by anymore :Laugh:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What are your daily feeding habits from a.m. to p.m.? and what are you feeding him, wet dry, or both?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can tell you that I ran out of Purina Pro Plan for ButterBall and his stools have become very bad. I have two other types of food that I thought I should use else they'll just collect dust but I can see I really shouldn't be messing with his diet. I''m off first thing tomorrow to buy a large bag of Purina Pro Plan and stick with it for a couple of months.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
`El Gato -
your right you shouldn't mess with his diet too much... it will for sure upset his belly. Take whatever bags you have back & exchange for what you want. Since I know your a petsmart frequenter LOL, they should just exchange no problem.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is fair warning for anyone who might be squeamish over flatulence humor, do not watch this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Boy, El Gato, with all that gas that ButterBall produces, we could solve the US energy crisis...LOLOL!!! :LOL:

Cute video, though. I like the intro music....very 1960's Herb Albert-ish. :ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
OMG first someone tell me why the heck I hit play in the first place:Dizzy: So I am watching the bball vid. and as soom as the fart came out the whole family room started to stink like ( you know what):Badly: I thought I was crazy then thought wow ElGato sure has this video thing down he even gave us smell??? Then I see Leo come out of the sunroom where his box is so I guess he and the bball went at the same time man he left A extra stinky this time just for bball (he must of saw the video of him looking at his girl ):LOL: Now for your problem #1 I would say you really do need more litter in the box and #2 have you tried A box with A lid it contains the smell A bit and keeps the poop inside the box? well best of luck to ya I have to leave this room now.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG!!!:Badly: your right you have a HUGE problem. The yuckie was enough, but the fact he missed the box and it goes on the side. I totally have a whole new respect for what you need to clean up. Maybe you should try potty training BBall, atleast he'll have a bigger hole to aim for :Laugh:

eva_jae

Lairian
I have three sphynxes and in the past have had four fuzzy cats, and I have to say I sincerely do think Sphynxes must have a more tempermental digestive system than normal cats. My cats make some seriously Chernobyl-esque poops and farts to match. God forbid there be an open flame in the house anytime one of them needs to crack one off.

I've experimented with a few different dry and wet foods with the three of them, and the one that seems to create the least problems is.... dun dun dun... Iams. I know, not the greatest brand in the world, but their stools are never runny and they poop less frequently. Every once in a while I'll slowly transfer over to a different brand to see if that gives me a better result, but no matter how long I stick to the new brand to get them acclimated it never seems to be better than with Iams.

HTH

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Last night I was sitting there watching tv and I had Meecho and both the dogs when it happened. First my eyes started to water, then I started to gag. It was like chemical war fair had hit my house. I started looking around thinking someone had to have had an accident and when I turned around the funniest sight was there. Meecho was looking at the puppy like she did it, the puppy was looking at Noble like he did it and I'll be damned....he was looking at me like I did it! Good thing it only took fifteen minutes of the fan running to get it to disappate to a more bearable level. :Smile:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks so much for the advice guys :) and umm the video...which made me laugh until I almost peed myself. I'm starting to think Butterball and Kreacher have a lot in common lol. I got some Purina One and have started to slowly switch over to it from the Goodlife recipe. He does have food out all day, and I NEVER switch foods on any of my cats, not just Kreacher without mixing it more and more over a span of like a week. If I go to a store and they don't have what I feed them I will got to another store until I find it. It's been a few weeks now and he still is gassier than an atomic bomb. I dunno lol maybe i'll just have to deal with it. Or put it to good use as suggested lol love the salesman idea :)

ElGato: Does Butterball announce very loudly when he's using the litter box or eating? I find it very very odd, but when ever Kreacher does these two things he doesn't jut meow light he kind of bellows. Its funny when he has food stuffed in his mouth :)

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ButterBall really doesn't meow while he eats but when he's in the litter box it's a different story. It doesn't sound like a normal meow. It sounds like an excited meow. Like when I get home from being gone for a few hours. This is followed by fierce digging and litter flinging. After he poops he usually goes bonkers. Running and jumping like there is no tomorrow. Cats don't get excited when they poop do they?

Anyway, Ball's stink bombs have become much less potent recently. I think the food I am using is really helping his stinky gas issues. A few weeks ago I posted a thread about his stinky problem. I didn't think anything was going to help. I finally decided that I was going to have to live with it. But since then, I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever. No runny stools and no stink bombs. It's been very pleasant. (knock on wood)

I don't know if it's the food I'm using but if you're interested it is called Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin and stomach made with lamb. Good luck!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hey all! I feel kind of embarrased to ask this but i'm getting concerned. I feed my Sphynx Goodlife Recipe...it is a good brand with no fillers or bad stuff in it. But Kreacher is one gassy little guy!! And boy does it stink!! I have started calling him the Atomic Bomber cause every time you pick him up he farts, and I don't gag easily but i've gagged quite a few times off of it. It's worse than my husbands... I check his poops and they are soild..so I don't think it's a diarreah thing. Is this normal?? Is there anything I can do to make him less gassy? Of at least less potent? lol Please help!

Nbolin, I think there's a misconception with Goodlife not being full of fillers. That's practically all Goodlife is. I've post this before, but here it is again.

Here's the Chicken recipe with the highlighted fillers:
GROUND CORN, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT, CHICKEN, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED PEAS, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATOES, DRIED CARROTS, SKIM MILK POWDER, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, TAURINE, dl-METHIONINE, MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE, VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN A ACETATE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C], VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6] ), VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), CHLOROPHYLL, NATURALLY PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, MARIGOLD MEAL.

Your cat is having gas because of all of the fillers. An upgrade in food (to one with no fillers) will reduce the amount of gas. The more meat and less grain, the less gas. Simple math. You want a food that has at least the first 10 ingredients without fillers (that means no "meals, by-products, corn, wheat, soy, milk, etc"). Look for a food that has true meanings such as "rabbit, chicken, turkey, salmon".

Here's an example of a top quality food:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

Remember, the first listed ingredient is the BIGGEST AMOUNT in a food. The last is the smallest amount. Goodlife's first ingredient is corn...the food I just listed is chicken. You do the math.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Here's the filler analysis for Purina Proplan sensitive stomach with lamb:

Lamb, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, dried egg product, wheat flour, soy protein isolate, fish meal, chicken meal, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), oat meal, lamb meal, animal liver flavor, soybean oil, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, taurine, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, salt, Vitamin E supplement, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

This is a better choice than Goodlife, lamb is the first ingredient. However, it's adding soy where Goodlife does not. A cat that is having food-related diarrhea may respond poorly to this diet, but one that is simply having gas related to fillers may do better than on Goodlife.

Hope that helps :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Well Leo and Athena are not stinky and when they do fart it is not so bad, but Max OH MY GOD we need to leave the room man I am trying to help this guy can't he give me A break. My daughter just came in to the room I am in and said mom that new cat is yucky and his farts really smell now she can't watch tv, she had to leave the room. I am hopping with all his changes this will not last forever and once he adjusts completly this will stop:Struggle:

tessblack

Banned
Yeah the stinky fart thing has really kicked in over the last few months. The funny thing is Twitch was sleeping on my husbands chest facing him. the she woke up stretched, turned her but to his face, looked over her shoulder and farted in his face. It just seemed so deliberate. Usually they pass by and let one go! So does anyone have any advice on a dry food with the least amount of fillers?

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm so glad we don't deal with gas with our cats. I have three that sleep with me...and then Jason. He alone is bad enough for all 4 of them! :LOL:

Back