Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stinky farts

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Hi,

I recently got my 7month old sphynx girl and the food the breeder provided was giving her a very bad tummy and horrendeous diahorea, it was the james wellbeloved adult fish flavoured kibble.
Under recomendation I have now put her onto Applaws grain free kitten kibble which seems to have helped in making her stool a bit more solid, it's still not great. I'm holding out hope that it should improve over the coming weeks as I only collected her last week, so what with settling in and changing food etc.

Since day one I have noticed that she farts...a lot, and these farts well they smell bad, like worse than her poo's which also are awful, but have improved from being on the new food. The farts happen usually when she is excited and rolling around for attention, as this is my first Sphynx (although owning Bengals before) I have never smelt or dealt with anything like this. To me it flags up as a bad sign as they smell like rotting meat or something along those lines. I have also noticed a bit of red blood and clear mucus which indicates something is going on with her gut/bowels. She is also constantly washing her bum, I have tried to wipe after her as much as possible so she isn't re-injesting any harmful bacteria but it's impossible to run around after her with tissues 24/7.

Other than this she is in great health, playful, drinking a lot, eating a lot, sleeping and going to the toilet regularly. it's 85% for solid stools at this point. If anyone has any ideas for recommendations to aid in either improving the farts, I would really appeciate it. I will be booking a vets appointment for her If It persist longer than another week as I am concerned.

Thanks for reading <3

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I adopted a cat once with putrid farts and it turned out he had giardia (a parasite). Treatable with medication.

Outside of that, maybe try adding more fiber to her diet? Psyllium husk is often used for this by raw feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Hi Sheldon13 thank you for your reply, I was actually thinking it might be giardia but wasn't sure as I have never had a cat that's had it but I have heard of it before and a friends cat had it after staying in a cattery. Panacur is typically used to treat it or metronidozole?
I'll make a vets appointment in the morning either way. Fingers crossed.

Interesting about the Psyllium husk though thank you!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Sheldon13 thank you for your reply, I was actually thinking it might be giardia but wasn't sure as I have never had a cat that's had it but I have heard of it before and a friends cat had it after staying in a cattery. Panacur is typically used to treat it or metronidozole?
I'll make a vets appointment in the morning either way. Fingers crossed.

Interesting about the Psyllium husk though thank you!
My vet prescribed 2 weeks of metronidozole. Let us know how it goes!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 welcome to the lair family ! Happy Gotcha!
I think you are spot on with the vet check
Agree to rule out giardia as well as tritrichomonas that has been a lesser mentioned poo culprit in some members kitties - it is treated with a different med ronidazole

(You can video her bum licking to share with the vet too
My vet always welcome videos )

I would bring fresh poo sample for fecal test
It doesn’t hurt for you to bring the food so vet can look at the ingredients

Some kitties get poo issues on very high protein food so putting it out there

I have had bengals in my life too! They too as you know can have sensitive
Tummies amd bowels . I have one Bengal adoptee now -I drove two hours each way in a rain storm to get here when owner posted needed to get rid of that night moving out on the morning
She has a senstive tummy and went they hel* with food trials for 12 weeks each
Finally got resolved - switched her and my sphnyx to Nutrisource cat and kitten food

Surely members in your area can help chime in about available foods thst have worked for their kitties

Following closely for updates!

Welcome home sweetie girl !
Hope youncam share an intro thread with pics!
What is her name ?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! What's your girls name? And do you have a pic to share?

Good idea to go to the vet if the farts stay so stinky after another week. Could still be her tummy reacting to the change of food but then it should get better soon. As @Sheldon13 said it could be giardia. If you go to the vet ask if they want you to bring a poop sample to do a test.

Hope she will stop gassing you soon;-)

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
My vet prescribed 2 weeks of metronidozole. Let us know how it goes!

Vet said more than likely it is giardia, need to do poo sample over three days etc. Looking into panacur treatment first then if it doesn't kill it off metronidozole.
Fingers crossed this helps and fixes any issues she has.

I've been doing more research and however good the biscuits that I've got her on I would like to in the future once her stomach has settled try her on the raw diet, I just think If I can and it's better for her then I should. Any recommendations on reading or suppliers I'm in the UK

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's the exact treatment plan that we did the first round when my boy had Giardia, and it almost never rids it with just the one medication. We had to re-treat a second time with both panacur and metronidonzole. If possible, I would ask the vet if you could do both treatments the first time around. Its not fun doing it a second time! Mind you, I steamed the ENTIRE house with the first round of medication on the 5th day of meds as recommended by my breeder and her vet as they shed the cysts. I was about ready to cry when I realized I'd have to re-steam the house :mad:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's the exact treatment plan that we did the first round when my boy had Giardia, and it almost never rids it with just the one medication. We had to re-treat a second time with both panacur and metronidonzole. If possible, I would ask the vet if you could do both treatments the first time around. Its not fun doing it a second time! Mind you, I steamed the ENTIRE house with the first round of medication on the 5th day of meds as recommended by my breeder and her vet as they shed the cysts. I was about ready to cry when I realized I'd have to re-steam the house :mad:
I agree. There is no reason to treat it with kid gloves. Hit it hard and fast with strong medication.

Lunasphynx1995

Lairian
Hey all,

Just a quick update, Luna was negative for Giardia and tritrichomonas! The vet doesn't think she has IBS either, they suggested it was settling in stress and the biscuits, although, Sphynx approved, may have been too high in protein for her tummy. We have since changed her to an all raw diet, no smelly farts, no stinky poo's. We are also really pleased with how much she has come out of her shall since changing her food!

Thank you everyone for all your love and suggestions, it really helped me a lot.

Thanks
xxxxxxxx

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That’s awesome! Raw really is the best thing for them if you can make it work.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunasphynx1995 thamk you for the purrfect Luna update !
Sometimes we don’t hear back amd always wonder amd worry like one of our own!

Your update helps others too who may dealing with the same initial issues

Head smooches sent ! Hope you are active with us with lots of pics and tales

Ps : what raw food are you feeding ?
Will help other members in your area
Tagging @Gisele in the other post about UK raw food /TB I saw you reply to earlier

Keep us updated often :)