Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stinky Peterbald kitty!!!

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi!,
Ok so we recently adopted a Peterbald cat. Her name is Paris,She is 2 years old she is a retired breeder,She had like 3 litters.
Ok So my question is Why does she smell like fish????....I noticed it at the airport when we pick her up but I didnt know what it was (or where is it coming from??:Surprise:...Is this normal??
My parents came today to meet her and they noticed it also....Poor girl.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Not to be rude (I absolutely dispise that reference between female odour and fish, but...), have you had her checked by the vet for any type of genital infections or issues since she was a breeder and I assume recently spayed?

Ughghghg, Why did you have to go there? I'm kidding, it's a valid point.

I think you should change her name to Pepe Le Pew! heheh

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:BigSmile::ThumbsUp:Thank you everyone! Yes I will have to take her to the vet again...I think the smell is coming from her mouth (She has really bad breath!!) but I really want to make sure!...I will keep you posted on my stinky Peterbald! lol!:BigSmile:

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
From a Peterbald cattery website:

IF YOUR
PETERBALD BABY
HAS A FUNKY
SMELL JUST TAKE A
BABY WIPE AND
CLEAN THE ENTIRE
TAIL AREA. THEN
THEY WILL SMELL
WONDERFUL AGAIN!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
If she has not yet been fixed this smell could be the first sighn of pyo. It is common in aninals that have been breed, once the body does not get what is wants by going into heat it leads to a infection of their girl parts called pyometries (spelling) pyo for short. If this is it there is not much time, it can turn bad very fast.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If she has not yet been fixed this smell could be the first sighn of pyo. It is common in aninals that have been breed, once the body does not get what is wants by going into heat it leads to a infection of their girl parts called pyometries (spelling) pyo for short. If this is it there is not much time, it can turn bad very fast.
Good luck and keep us posted.

She was recently spayed...She has an appointment next week so lets see!.Hopefully is nothing bad.. I will keep you all posted!!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think letting a vet check out the smell is the wisest thing to do. Especially if you think it's coming from the mouth, could be something going on in there.

Back