Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stinky runs

Kirstyann89

Lairian
Please help!
I'm slowly losing my patience.
My lovely sphynx boy is having runny stools. They have been more or less loose since we got him 2 months ago. He is now 5 months old. We have tried various foods nothing seems to be firming them up. He has never had a poo out of the litter box until this week. He had a runny one 2 days ago on the rug and again today in the same place.
Whenever he does use his litter box he manages to get poo all over his feet. We tried pumpkin but this did not help much.
I mentioned it to the vet last week when he had a check up and she didn't not appeared worried. But it's continuing and I'm worried about him. He had his recent worming treatment last week.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kirstyann89 , awhhh ,, positive vibes sent the vet gets a diagnosis and treatment.
Did the vet prescribe metronidazole ?

Also some foods too high in protein can cause poo issues .
I would make sure no treats or table scraps .. They can can cause poo issues too.

Definitely agree to rule out Giardia or even lesser known tritrichomonas thst is the culprit sometimes

Last edited:

badtwin14

Lairian
So sorry you're going through this. Although, I'm laughing because I went through the same thing with my cat :) Her poop has always been on the runny side, and she definitely steps in it (and swipes her tail in it) all the time. She's now four... it's less runny. But the messes are the same :vomit: hahaha I love her to death so I don't mind. It has gotten better with age, though. And I do give her pumpkin every night (which she loves). I agree with @Yoda mom , you want to make sure she doesn't get any human food or other food she shouldn't be eating, and I would rule out any other issues with the vet.

Hope your situation gets better!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry that you are going through this. Great advice has already been given. Raw food can help cats with diarrhea. Have you tried Psyllium husk? Some people use that for cats with loose stools. I agree about food allergies. Also, I would maybe consider getting a second opinion or discussing again with your vet. Have you had a stool sample ran for anything?

Kirstyann89

Lairian
Thank you for your speedy advice and suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. My partner took him to the vet, he has been started on a course of metronidazole :) and some special digestion food. We have to see how things go for 7 days and return with a sample if it continues. Xx

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there. Just aware of this thread. Wanting to know how your baby is. Sending healing vibes.

LMK

Lairian
Hi! Hope your kitty is feeling better! My Luigi is almost 5 months had the same issue. I had to wipe his butt and his paws after EVERY poo. I switched to corn based litter (World's Best Clumping) and added 2-3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree to his wet food every day.

I know you said you tried pumpkin but I wasn't sure how much you were giving him. I was worried that I was adding too much but my vet assured me I wasn't. Also, the corn litter pieces are super small and clump immediately which helps if Luigi still accidentally steps in his poo. So maybe more pumpkin and a different litter? Definitely did the trick for our little guy! Hope you guys find a solution that works for you soon! No one likes to chase a poopy cat around ha!

Tamccage

Lairian
Thank you for your speedy advice and suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. My partner took him to the vet, he has been started on a course of metronidazole :) and some special digestion food. We have to see how things go for 7 days and return with a sample if it continues. Xx
Did this solve your babies issue? I'm having the same thing here with my babies. Fecal tests have come back negative, but everything I've researched is leading me back to Giardia.

Back