Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stolen SPHYNX!! - Ottawa Ontario!

danimcd

Lairian

danimcd

Lairian
me too... i wrote the owner and told her i will keep and ear and eye out for any news!
someone breaking into a home a stealing a sphynx is aweful because they probably don't the care it takes! they probably just figured they could sell it for big $$ not knowing that he has health issues (she mentions he is on meds in the link)...
i hope he is returned! even if the person who stoll the kitty just returns him that's all i would care about!

i started to cry when i read it!

SOB! :Angry::Cry:

danimcd

Lairian
look what else i found!!!! on the same site!!! i can't believe this!!! your's not going to be happy about this either! i wasn't!!!

i sent a report to the website and asked them to remove the add from their listings because the person promotes animal cruelty!!!! (declawing!) WTF people!!!!! they are in gatineau, on the quebec side here in canada, but is sounds aweful that they allowed a breeding and then forcibly amputate them!!!! today is not a good day... i can't believe this!!!!!!:Angry::Angry::Angry::Cry:

i have half a mind to spam call this person untill it drives them out of town!!!! i won't, but what else can i do?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gizzymom

Banned
I saw on the original stolen sphynx post that he has "brothers". Do you know - were they all sphynx and only one was "stolen".... or were the other cats non-sphynx? I am not suggesting any scam or anything, but if there were other sphynx in the house, maybe this one was let out on accident. Not saying that the person does not deserve to be helped -because they do! Just thought it was weird that there were other cats in the residence.

Hope they find him soon!!!

danimcd

Lairian
I saw on the original stolen sphynx post that he has "brothers". Do you know - were they all sphynx and only one was "stolen".... or were the other cats non-sphynx? I am not suggesting any scam or anything, but if there were other sphynx in the house, maybe this one was let out on accident. Not saying that the person does not deserve to be helped -because they do! Just thought it was weird that there were other cats in the residence.

Hope they find him soon!!!

no, it didn't say, but you are right and it could jsut be some one saying their sphynx was stolen but they just left the door open... i have emaild the person though and asked for more info or pics... so hopefully i can get a response... i would hope a police report is filed at least and that he may be chipped like mentioned above so if they take it to a vet or shelter they may be able to get scanned etc...

i thought the same things too because i wondered why someone would leave the others... but then i thought about it and realized that : if i am a "robber" and see a rare looking cat... i figure i could potentially sell it (probably on the very same website she posted on) for a decent price... not that i am a robber lol ... but i mean it could have been a niece or nephew who knew the cat was worth a price, and sold it for drugs right???... or they left the door open and figured more people would help if it was "stolen"... who knows these days... i just wanted to help if i could...

i hope its not a scam!

Gizzymom

Banned
no, it didn't say, but you are right and it could jsut be some one saying their sphynx was stolen but they just left the door open... i have emaild the person though and asked for more info or pics... so hopefully i can get a response... i would hope a police report is filed at least and that he may be chipped like mentioned above so if they take it to a vet or shelter they may be able to get scanned etc...

i thought the same things too because i wondered why someone would leave the others... but then i thought about it and realized that : if i am a "robber" and see a rare looking cat... i figure i could potentially sell it (probably on the very same website she posted on) for a decent price... not that i am a robber lol ... but i mean it could have been a niece or nephew who knew the cat was worth a price, and sold it for drugs right???... or they left the door open and figured more people would help if it was "stolen"... who knows these days... i just wanted to help if i could...

i hope its not a scam!

Like I said, I don't think it's a scam... but saying that your pet is "stolen" does get more attention than ooooops... I let my cat out. I also noticed that it looks like there is another sphynx in that photo that is cut off... But since it is cold and snowing there (right?), I hope they find him soon. Naked babies won't last long in this weather.... That breaks my heart.. Update us if you hear anything - I hope he turns up safe!:Woo:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
look what else i found!!!! on the same site!!! i can't believe this!!! your's not going to be happy about this either! i wasn't!!!

[l]

i sent a report to the website and asked them to remove the add from their listings because the person promotes animal cruelty!!!! (declawing!) WTF people!!!!! they are in gatineau, on the quebec side here in canada, but is sounds aweful that they allowed a breeding and then forcibly amputate them!!!! today is not a good day... i can't believe this!!!!!!:Angry::Angry::Angry::Cry:

i have half a mind to spam call this person untill it drives them out of town!!!! i won't, but what else can i do?!?!?!

There is even a map tho their house in the ad.
Lucky I'm not living close by. I'd be waiting outside with a baseball bat and a cutter.
Waking up with a big lump on the head and all fingers and toes missing a joint maybe would get them thinking a bit.
Leaving an invoice for $50 would be perfect also...

danimcd

Lairian
Like I said, I don't think it's a scam... but saying that your pet is "stolen" does get more attention than ooooops... I let my cat out. I also noticed that it looks like there is another sphynx in that photo that is cut off... But since it is cold and snowing there (right?), I hope they find him soon. Naked babies won't last long in this weather.... That breaks my heart.. Update us if you hear anything - I hope he turns up safe!:Woo:

for sure! i will definately give updates if i hear anything!

you're right... i just noticed that too! but like i said i will ask if ther is another or if she filed a report or a chip etc... and see if there is more info. its hard to help out if you don't know all the info right...

thanks! :ThumbsUp:

danimcd

Lairian
Lucky I'm not living close by. I'd be waiting outside with a baseball bat and a cutter.
Waking up with a big lump on the head and all fingers and toes missing a joint maybe would get them thinking a bit.

lol well its a link to where thier postal code is... but still i was VERY angry when i saw that! like why the hell breed cats just to have them amputated and treated cruely!!!
i guess the only thing to do is keep sending requests to the website and asking them to remove or not promote cats with declawing... :Cry:

danimcd

Lairian
Leaving an invoice for $50 would be perfect also...

also i believe in the province of Quebec, it is still legal to "de-bark" a dog... so they rip out the larynx of dogs ( not everyone does it though) ... if someone knows otherwise let me know... but the last i herd it was still legal... c'mon Quebec... get it together, declawing and debarking... no no no!!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
lol well its a link to where thier postal code is... but still i was VERY angry when i saw that! like why the hell breed cats just to have them amputated and treated cruely!!!
i guess the only thing to do is keep sending requests to the website and asking them to remove or not promote cats with declawing... :Cry:

Here you get jail time for declawing. Both for performing it and having it done.

It would be totally unthinkable for anyone to do though as people would more or less kill you on the street if word got around, certainly you would get beaten up and your home and car would never be safe from vandalism. But ye, someone would report you and jail would follow.

Edit:
Same with debarking here, saw you wrote about it. To call yourself a veterinarian and perform something like that is totally unbelievable for me. Like a human doctor deScreaming a child.

danimcd

Lairian
Again... people suck and shouldn't be allowed to have animals if they feel the need to declaw or debark!

i know... right! what gives us the right to claim we can torture animals just because....:ThumbsDown: food or pet industry... animals should be respect for who and what they are. just because a chicken is supoosed to be dinner doesn't meant it should be confined to overcrowded spaces and fed homones to fatten him up unnaturally faster than normal and de-beaked! (sp?) nor should our pets have something essential removed from their body just cause they could ruin a carpet....

i'm not a vegitarian but if i can eat free range organic i will pay the extra for the quality of life for the animal... and if i can prevent a crazy person from breeding animals, and inturn amputating them i will... i will send a message every day to the website untill her add expires or untill they remove it.

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Again... people suck and shouldn't be allowed to have animals if they feel the need to declaw or debark!

Some of my cats are declawed...Abby isn't but some people don't feel as strongly as you do about declawing. All of my cats except abby are declawed in the front and are very much loved and taken care of. They are beyond spoiled even and are doing just fine thank you.

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our home was burglarized a couple of years ago (before I had Gabe). They left the back door wide open as they made their escape. Trashed the house...

As I walked into the mayhem, all I saw was that open back door, and screamed "THE CATS!!"

Yes, they were all outside. Sitting on the back porch, looking terrified. Forget the $16,000 worth of stuff they stole, they let my cats out!

That's bad enough, but stealing a cat? Lowest of the low.

Re: Declawing. Two of my rescue kitties came to me declawed. Gabe is one of them. He had nasty infections and spots that wouldn't heal on his "thumbs" from the procedure. With antibiotics, then antifungals, and OCD-level hygiene they've healed, but it breaks my heart. If you don't want your furniture scratched, either get a few good scratching posts, or don't get a cat. Do you cut your kids' feet off because they track mud in the house?

Gizzymom

Banned
Our home was burglarized a couple of years ago (before I had Gabe). They left the back door wide open as they made their escape. Trashed the house...

As I walked into the mayhem, all I saw was that open back door, and screamed "THE CATS!!"

Yes, they were all outside. Sitting on the back porch, looking terrified. Forget the $16,000 worth of stuff they stole, they let my cats out!

That is exactly how I would react!! Screw the stuff... where is my cat???:Surprise:

Do you cut your kids' feet off because they track mud in the house?

I would!!!! :Wink:

kaoticharmony

Banned
I was robbed once too and the idiots left my door open. All my cats were on the patio going "Whoa!"
I considered putting a sign on the inside of the door to would be burglers... "Please shut the door when you are done"

I almost didn't post this, but after debating it for an hour I decided to.

I don't think I've talked about it on the forum yet... I know I've mentioned my Sphynx kitten Harmony that died.

This post made me cry because that's what happened to her.

I called the breeder to make plans to pick up my 2 new kittens. She started crying and then told me she was hoping she wouldn't have to tell me this... but she was robbed and they stole several of her cats including my baby Harmony.

Harmony was very special to me. I moved up here after my soul sister (Alice) died from cancer. Originally I had picked a different little girl (Venus). Well, Alice came to me in a dream and said I had to take "the purple kitten". I woke up going..."purple???". I called the breeder and told her about my dream and she was kinda quiet then told me one of the kittens was lavender. She changed things for me...Harmony was mine...or should I say Alice's?

When she told me she was gone I cried...man, did I cry. Apparently Harmony had been gone for awhile. As it happened she called me a few days later. She was very excited. She said the police I called her. They had arrested someone in connection with her cats. One of the adult females was sick and they took her to a vet. There are few Sphynx in that area and the vet thought she might be one of the stolen cats and called the police.

She called me back later that night and said she had gotten Harmony back. I was sooooooooooo happy, then I noticed her tone. She said she's very thin and her eye is damaged. She said she didn't want me to take her because she wasn't sure she was going to live. She got her to a vet. The vet said she seemed okay, aside from the weight loss, but had an ulcer on her eye.

I ended up with Neon, Venus and little Harmony. The breeder decided that being that I was home all day Harmony might stand a better chance with me. Harmony weighed half of what her siblings did. She was blind in one eye, and she was sick. All I know about what happened to her is that she was caged and with a lot of other animals. She brought some sort of virus with her. Looking back I'm not surprised considering the conditions she was kept under.

I don't blame the breeder for what happened,. She had no way of knowing. She, like me, she just wanted to save this poor little baby. I did all I could. She was at the vet constantly, he tried various drugs. She would start gaining weight then stop eating again. I noticed one of my adult cats seemed a little out of sorts, but at the time didn't thing anything of it, In the end Harmony died,. So did Morpheus, Anastasia, Phillip Radu and PounceQuick. All from complications from a mysterious virus we couldn't kill. Kuma, Neon and Venus managed to fight it off. Shiva almost died from it. It took months to get it out of my home.

I still cry, not just for my losses, but for Harmony's. I have never seen a kitten have nightmares, but she did. They took her life the day they took her.

Then I think about Neon, my poor little boy. It had been a week or so since Harmony left us. He came downstairs, his face was wet and he looked so sad. I read tarot cards (it's a gift I've had since I was a child) and my cards were there . I called Neon over and had him pick 3 cards. Just a quick little past, present, future reading, I asked him what was up with him.

His past showed 3 children happy and playing
His present showed him older head hung in tears with a lone female
His future showed his strength, but still his pain

I held him and cried with him.

If you look at the pictures I have of Harmony her big brother is in almost every one of them. He held her when she slept. He watched her and played with her. He really loved his little sister. I was so lost in my own grief I wasn't thinking of his.

There is no excuse or punishment fit for anyone who not only steals but abuses a poor innocent life. I am not capable of understanding what they did and I don't want to hear their reason why. I am sure whatever punishment they received was far from adequate. I feel that any intentional act that leads to the taking of a life should be dealt with severely. If these crimes were handled the same as the act against a human they would happen a lot less,. But the usual response to a statement like mine is “but they are only animals,. "/COLOR]

RIP​
Harmony.jpg
Harmony

Morpheus.jpg
Morpheus

Anastasia.jpg
Anastasia

PhillipRadu.jpg
Phillip Radu

PounceQuick.jpg
PounceQuick

danimcd

Lairian
Some of my cats are declawed...Abby isn't but some people don't feel as strongly as you do about declawing. All of my cats except abby are declawed in the front and are very much loved and taken care of. They are beyond spoiled even and are doing just fine thank you.

oh yes... i didn't mean to offend by that... if you are ok with it then that's cool too... i feel like declawing is one of those topics... like religion, the "A" word, sex, or money... everyone has an opinion and its usually one way or the other...

i personally have never seen a cat that has had good results from it... so yes i may be a bit biased... i don't disagree that they are cared for etc. by their owners though...

i just take the stance if its there (on a body of any kind)... it was meant to be there... like foreskins, beaks, larynx, and claws... if you can take care / manage those things intact why not...? ( i guess they debeak chickens technically for safety reasons, but i am sure there are other ways... ?) ... so for our naked beauties, the hair wasn't meant to be there... so its not, naturally! lol :LOL:

i just personally think its not fair to the animal because they don't have a choice in something that is done for what seems to be cosmetic. but like i said, every one has a side in this debate (which i read the extensive thread on a while back), and that is just mine. i don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental, really i don't, (although we do all have biases) and i do appologize if i came off that way.

as long as you love your little one thats all that matters!:BigSmile:

and like i said i guess i have a bias because the only cats i have ever seen in person that are declawed have had bad infections and further amputations because of it... (not that their owners didn't love them either)

but if you are for it , for what ever reason, then thats fine too... sometimes its just nice to vent - i honestly didn't mean to offend, and again i truly appologize if i did...

also as you can see i have verbal / writer diarrhoea... HUGE flaw of mine... i just tend to write and talk with out my brain fully processing before hand...

and i do appologize if i did offend / be controversial / re start the debate with the declaw comment...:Sweat: i didn't mean to... :Surprise:

i hope that clears that up..:BigSmile:

thanx
Dani

Back