Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stomatitis

Kelly

Lairian
Hi everyone,
My baby gizmo has had health issues since the moment we brought him home. He had a lot of skin issues but with a diet change and medications it seemed to correct itself. Over the holidays I took him to the vet because he wasn't himself. They did a lot if bloodwork and testing of his swollen glands. Turns out he was so swollen because he has stomatitis. They originally thought it was lymphoma so this was a slight relief.
image.jpg
Does anyone have experience with this? I am so madly in love with gizmo my heart is broken for him to be in pain. He is eating ok but is very inactive. Any suggestions would be helpful.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,
My baby gizmo has had health issues since the moment we brought him home. He had a lot of skin issues but with a diet change and medications it seemed to correct itself. Over the holidays I took him to the vet because he wasn't himself. They did a lot if bloodwork and testing of his swollen glands. Turns out he was so swollen because he has stomatitis. They originally thought it was lymphoma so this was a slight relief. View attachment 56652 Does anyone have experience with this? I am so madly in love with gizmo my heart is broken for him to be in pain. He is eating ok but is very inactive. Any suggestions would be helpful.
What a cutie! I am sorry to hear your baby is not feeling well. Here is a thread from the past dealing with stomatitis. You can also type the word in search function for a couple of others. I hope he feels better soon.

Patti
I didn't see a link in your post @Catzzzmeow - I added the search results for Stomatitis http://sphynxlair.com/community/search/609812/?q=Stomatitis&o=date :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sure do hope your baby gets well. Are you going to have all the teeth extracted?

Julie

Lairian
Hi Kelly,
Kiwi came to us with stomatitis in July 2014. She went through 1 round of antibiotics and 1 round of steroids in July. There was no improvement. Her right lymph node and salivary gland stayed swollen. I took her to our vet several times and tried chlorihexidine, EFA's rubbed on her gum tissue. Nothing helped. She stopped eating/could not eat due to the severe swelling of her gum tissue late Jan 2015. I chose to have all of her teeth extracted. She is a totally different cat now. She is not in pain anymore. She has had 1 checkup and will go back again in 1 month to make sure all is healed. She has very slight inflammation in the very posterior of mouth, that will hopefully resolve as sutures continue to dissolve in this area. I will post photos of what her gum tissue and X-rays looks like.

How old is Gizmo? He is a cutie!!

Kelly

Lairian
Thanks everyone for the advice. Gizmo just turned 1 in November. My vet said we will keep an eye on it since I caught it early. We have done the rounds of atbs and steroids. It helps for a week or two but then he doesn't feel well again. He also sneezes and has eye drainage constantly. Since I got him I believed a lot if his issues were related to allergies but no one seems to listen. I saw a thread on here where someone started giving Zyrtec and constantly cleaned the ears and eyes. I'm going to call the vet today and see if we can start a low dose allergy medication. I will keep everyone updated on his progress. He's such a little lover. I hope I can figure something out. Thanks so much for the help.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear that your little one isn't feeling well, I know it's such a helpless feeling.

Just know that everyone one here is supportive and always here to help!
Keep us posted!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry to hear that gizmo has stomatitis. I hope you'll find the right treatment also for the sneezing and eye problems!