Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stop jumping on my back!

oolahappi

Lairian
I love my girl, she'll be 2 in January. It was cute when she would jump on my back when she was a 4 lb kitten, but it almost 10 lbs it's quite annoying - I have scratch marks going all the way down my back when she misses or slips . Has anyone successfully gotten their sphynx to stop jumping on their back every time it's turned?

Attachments

• 4752A090-56AD-4EAE-BD3F-CA20F3E4530D.jpeg
    4752A090-56AD-4EAE-BD3F-CA20F3E4530D.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 85

Sheldon13

Staff member
Omg that is the cutest kitty with her little feet’s in the air!

Does she jump only when you are bent over or all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The short answer is no - I have no idea how you'd make her stop :oops: My boy is nearly a year old now and just over 4 kg, and he'll happily jump all over me any time the mood strikes him, which is quite often! I just make sure I keep his nails trimmed, and that way I usually avoid scratches. I don't mind his shoulder-riding though, well 9 times out of 10 anyway, and for when I don't want it, I have just learned to grow eyes in the back of my head really, and then tell him 'Nooo' and shoo him away. I've developed a 6th sense for this and I'll turn around to see him coiled and ready to leap :ROFLMAO:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oolahappi , I have a "parrot" kitty too
He even jumped on my bsck when I scoop the litter box

I started redirecting him to his smart cat climber .
Mine is on a doorway , other members have mounted directly to the wall.

When I see him give me thst I am going to jump - I tell him "ah""" amd put s few treats onthe smart cat climber shelf for head smooches
It has helped I think because it's multilevel high .
You can try redirecting him to a spot like a chair too

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 54

oolahappi

Lairian
Omg that is the cutest kitty with her little feet’s in the air!

Does she jump only when you are bent over or all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
She jumps all the time! Sometimes my back is turned and I don't notice she is ready to jump.....and I start to walk away.....and nails down my back as she misses :/

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My boy Toa loves to jump on my back too. So familiar with scratches here too. I keep his nails as short as possible. And wear an extra vest most of the time .
I was never able to learn him not to do so. Probably my own fault cause I toughed it was cute when he was a kitten!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had and have one of those parrots too. It's all cute when they're small, but then... It's no fun to have all the tops in the closet full of holes and constant scratches on your back. I haven't found a way to stop it, but as mentioned here, you develop a sixth sense for this with eyes in the back. I guess that what was okay while they were kittens is okay when they're bigger...The vest thing sounds like a smart thing! I'll try that!
P.S. She is a cutiepie!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab My dad has a slightly different vibe I think.
I've seen it with every animal that has passed through that house, I don't think he actually "trains" them there is just something about this energy that animal really respond to. He isn't super happy friendly with them, he's stern for lack of a better term. I've always been in awe of how well behaved animals around him become.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most Sphynx are parrots and honestly, I never thought to curb this trait. Mind, it is annoying when they destroy a shirt or sweater, so I always buy Hubby's shirts in pairs now -- one for around the house and the other when he goes out. ha ha.

Mine are about 10 lbs each and I often end up with one on each shoulder while I'm cooking or making cat food. It does get heavy!

Back