Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Storm rolling in

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes. And it's been bad (REALLY BAD) yesterday here as well.
Roof is slowly driving me mad, but there is nothing Serge can do at the moment, it's too risky.
Plus, even if he temporarily fixes it today -- by Sunday it might be torn apart again by Storm Dennis.
But, in case you want to see some spectacular footage from St. Malo (about 80km from me, on the coast) check this out:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow I hope there wasn’t anyone in those buildings

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Silke thinking of you and yours and all paws n hooves .. prayers for safety your way!
mother nature can be our best friend and our worst enemy at times :(

please keep us updated as you can.. not sure if you lost power there :(

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Storm has passed (for now)
We had 140km wind gusts yesterday at 2pm, it was awful. (With a steady blow of 95km/h)
The roof of the barn stayed on, the cover of Dave's bike was not so lucky. It got torn to shreds (I did tell him to move the bike on Saturday, but he forgot.)

Aside from a bucket with rubbish taking flight, everything seems ok.
Spent the morning chopping up the branches I've stripped, because they were still in the grass, and I needed them outta there, before they grow in. So I was lopping branches, bundling them, stacking them, ready to go into the small wood shed to season.
Alas, I have to clear out the woodshed first, bundle all the kindling in there, so that this stuff can go in to season for uh... 3 years or so.
I've ordered the barn door. (Ouch.)
The weather is sort of ok today, sunny with a few spots of rain, still very windy, and pretty cold in that wind. But at least it's not tipping it down atm.
Spring is definitely on the way tho. My Japanese Cherry is blooming a bright pink, the magnolia has tons of buds, the daffodils are coming up, blooming in some areas, my hyacinth got battered by the storm (and the chickens!) and fell over, but ok... I've added a palm, but haven't planted it yet.
The utility room is finished and I'm putting stuff back, which is taking ages as I have to go through all the tools that are in boxes and find places for them. (I have all the stuff that was left here, plus all of Paul's tools and powertools. I swear the man bought a new sander every time he needed to sand something. I have like... 6 orbital sanders!)
Jezzy came to inspect the Gîte yesterday, and helped with sorting the tools. :) (And then she helped to eat the cake... while I wasn't looking...)
Anyway... things are calmer. Let's hope this was the last of it for a long while!

Attachments

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
P.S. That was the "small" pile of wood. The big one is twice the size and still needs chopping up -- but not today!
The wood leaning up on the fence needs a chainsaw. Gotta learn how to use one...
Livvy...being a clown.
And both Livvy and Jez have discovered the joys of "The Sheep".
I got that blanket down for ME, but it was immediately appropriated by Pixie...and then the other two figured it was the bestest place to sleep...

Attachments

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
But I mean, how can you refuse them with that little look they give you?

That is s lot of wood! That probably took you forever.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
But I mean, how can you refuse them with that little look they give you?
Oh I can...

That is s lot of wood! That probably took you forever.
That's not even half of what needs chopping, bundling and stacking.
But yeah, it took a while.
Heck, it took me almost 2 weeks (on and off) to strip the greenery from all of that -- those were conifers.
There's a huge pile of stripped conifer sitting in the corner by the barn, which has to be put into bags and go to the recycling yard.
But at least the damn trees are out. They were huge, blocking all the sunlight, and not adding anything.
IMG_9077.jpg
The "bush" (tree) where Stormy is standing is one of two that were taken out completely, the yellow plum tree between them had a radical prune as well. That was back in October.
20191022_131637.jpg
You can see how tall they were. This is after one was taken out completely, and the other was being chopped down. (That's my dad you see standing there btw)

20190417_192506.jpg
The conifer on the right in the distance (not the one in the foreground) was cut down to about 1m from nearly 4m.
That's what that pile of wood is.
And then it started to rain, and rain, and rain, and rain... and it hasn't stopped since.
So I stripped the greenery off when it was dry for a day or two (by hand, I might add!), and now I'm cutting the branches into 30cm lengths, bundle and stack them when there is a dry day, because the grass has started to grow... and the stuff needs out of the grass before it grows in.