Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Strange behavior. . for a cat?

CalicoVelvet

Lairian
Hi. The last 6 months Cally has taken a liking to 2 pairs of sneakers. & by liking, I mean she pulls them out and chews on the soles' sides. I thought that was a dog thing, but the boys (2 year old yorkies) just want the shoestrings or to lick them. Anyone else have this problem? I hide them, but she finds them.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. The last 6 months Cally has taken a liking to 2 pairs of sneakers. & by liking, I mean she pulls them out and chews on the soles' sides. I thought that was a dog thing, but the boys (2 year old yorkies) just want the shoestrings or to lick them. Anyone else have this problem? I hide them, but she finds them.
If its just two particular pairs of shoes, perhaps there is something tasty on the soles? Are they worn in a food restaurant or anything like that?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would wipe the soles down well with some vinegar and try to keep them out of her reach. Definitely odd behaviour. But I would be concerned if she gets a chunk of the sole chewed off and ingests it. They are such weird little creatures and do the most bizarre things sometimes!!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Eudo used to bite and rabbit-kick my slippers when he was young. He still puts toys in our shoes now and then. It could be that the sneakers smell a lot like you (maybe more than any other objects around).

CalicoVelvet

Lairian
I only wore them to work at the fabric store for a few months before my surgery. They're the same brand, maybe there's something in that. She's not touched any of the older pairs.

I dunno if vinegar will work, but I'll try it. She seems to like the smell of pickles.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hhmmm. No, Merlin just likes to give himself swirlies in stinky smelly shoes. Mmmmmm....feet smell....All over his cute head.....

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds like she's in love ! My Wilson has a favourite blanket that he "interacts" with.

Back