Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Strange lump on Lily’s neck

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is a long post as it’s been about 5 days so far, but I’ll try to explain clearly. I’m looking for ideas about what it could be as my vet is unsure, so feel free to make suggestions or comment if you e experienced this with your kitties.

Last Friday, little Lily was off her food and a bit quiet, but then scoffed a huge dinner so I went off to my night shift. When I got home in the morning I discovered a large lump on the left side of Lily’s neck, firm and slightly mobile, with a little puffiness around her chin. I’d kissed her good night and tucked her in the night before so was sure it wasn’t there then. It had developed so quickly! She was also feeling hot, although still perky.

I made an emergency appt with the vet and we were there in a couple of hours. She ate a big breakfast before hand, drank plenty, peed and pooped, so apart from the lump, everything else was good. I was in obvious panic though!

At the vet her temp was 39.5, so definitely hot. The vet was and still is unsure of what it is, but we started immediately on injectable antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

We went back the next day and her temp had settled, she was still active and doing all the right things, but the lump was the same. The vet tried to aspirate in case it was an abscess filled with pus, but nothing came out. So again, antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

We’ve now had 5 days of the same and the lump has greatly reduced. She’s eating like a piggy, peeing, pooping and drinking and finds time to play and pounce on Rosie! We are going daily to the vet for injectable antibiotics. The vet thinks it may be an infected salivary gland since it’s tespinding to the meds, but can’t be sure. Since there is nothing to aspirate, there’s nothing to test.

If anyone has experienced this or may have an idea, please chip in! Lily is getting better, but knowing the cause would set my mind at ease in case it should return once she’s off the meds.

I’ll post below pics of the lump at the start of treatment.

814241CB-C311-44E0-84F8-E01894771B98.jpeg
20DA65DC-76C8-4B30-909C-53D0AECD3712.jpeg
413E73B9-9F5E-40B8-A540-02E1EC3EAEC6.jpeg
32ABFE3D-0273-44FD-9EA4-3EC5C875A3CD.jpeg

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know she has a few blackheads, but there is no head on this lump at all and nothing in aspirate, so not pus filled as I initially thought.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it is going down. My first thought was an infection/swollen lymph node since there is one in that area and they were running a fever. The antibiotics seem to be doing their job.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have 2 thoughts.

1) It is in fact an abscess, but the contents are so thick that they cannot be aspirated with a needle.

2) It is a swollen lymph node. Could be due to infection, which would be why the antibiotics are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lealea awhhh Healing vibes to sweet Lily
Just a long shot idea ...when anything around the mouth jaw area I alway suggest s good look at the teeth .
Did the vet take a good look at her teeth ? Rear molar ?

Head smooches to Lily and Rosie
Please keep us updated

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Now idea what it can be but sending lots of healing vibes to the Princess of Misschief. Very glad to see the lump is less swollen and to know she's still active and eating well. Cuddles for the beautiful cutie

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello everyone! Sorry for the slow update.
We went back for more injections today with the nurse. The lump has gone down hugely! She’s full of beans, running, playing, pouncing in her big sister and driving her potty! Eating, pooping, peeing, chatting and snuggling! I’m confident she’s on the mend.

@Yoda mom the vet did look in her mouth and couldn’t see anything. The lump is firm and very mobile and feels more like a gland than an abscess that probably wouldn’t move around as much.

We go back to the vets tomorrow morning for another check up. Hopefully she’ll go on to oral tablets as two injections at a time in her delicate little neck have left little scabs, poor little mite. She’s been such a good girl with them too. Well, except the first day, when she swore really loud and tried to scratch the vet! I’ve never heard her use bad language before!

I’ll give another update once we’ve seen the vet. Thank you everyone for your input and your concern.

Just because ...

“I’m not really attacking Rosie mummy, honest!”

19B72414-2EC3-42B9-8B96-6484015C068E.jpeg

and the two princesses on my chest this afternoon!

FA6EC51A-166C-4D54-A04F-0D11350EB3B5.jpeg

Back