Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Strange Skin condition - no fungus, no ringworm

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
Hello All,
I'm sorry that my first post is a "problem"... but maybe you guys can help me...
and please be patient with my english... there are no sphynx-communitys over here (berlin, germany).
maybe anybody of you saw some red lines on the belly before (picture is following)?
my cat (male, 10 month) is not scratching... feads good... is in good condition.

but those lines sometimes appear... are gone... appear... mostly on the belly, but on the back too.

the vet has no idea... no fungus... nothing. even cortison didn't have an effect.

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
IMAG0271_1.jpg

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
hi! thank you...
I recognize the thread... and there semms to be a lot of similarities. but it seems like tha in the other thread it's a kind of tabby...
but the rings and lines on will appear and disappear... sometimes more, sometimes less. a bit like a allergic reaction.
but the vet doesn't find anything.
And the little man is (for testing) on horse-diet (but that doesn't seem to help).

three weeks ago, there was nothing:

image.jpg

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When it shows up, is the pattern always the same? Could be something he likes to lay on, maybe a smooth counter that's been wiped down with cleaner, or a tile floor mopped recently. It kinda looks like what happens when human skin is against a smooth non-porous surface for too long (plastic chairs or vinyl- sweat makes irritated skin). Just an idea!

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
no... it's not always the same... sometimes it looks like spirals... and right now (as you can see) more like circles.
the idea is good... but I don't thin it's the reason.
there are circles on his back as well... but I can't take a picture. they are really hard to see. not as good as on the belly.

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
yes... weird is a good word ;)
wish I know what it is... doesn't seem to bother the little man.

next friday we went to the vet for castration.
I'm not sure, but in the last days he was very "annoying". yelling in the night, scratching at windows and doors... looks like he is looking for a girl ;)
maybe it's an reaction of the hormones or by stress?

what do you think? a neurotic reaction of skin? possible?

by the way: thank you for your warm welcome. and as said before: sorry for my english. I have to practise it a bit more ;) (long time not spoken)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@RobinOfTheHood It is wonderful we have people from all over the world. We never worry about grammar here...
Hormones most likely are kicking in for your baby. They all calm down a bit afterward. You mention neutering is coming up. Just a reminder to make sure very does not use Ketamine as anesthesia as the breed does not do well and it is risky for them. Touch base with your vet to I sure they have an alternative. :)

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
You say it comes and goes. I would keep a daily journal, then, you can
see the difference in his daily habits along with yours.
Maybe something might show you what is causing this. When it keeps happening
and you can look and see what he did and you did. Hopefully it will shed
some light. Then, you could help others.

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
that's a good idea...
:)

right now, the circles last for a week. hard to figure out what happend in the last days. but I will keep an eye on that for the future.
It doesn't seems that the lines will disapear in the next days...

the last time he had those "circles", we had a lots of vets visits and a lot of changes. after a few weeks of calming down, the lines disappear.
so a reason can be stress (I think).
thaty why I point out the hormones. I think his "search" for a girl is some kind of stress too... so maybe the neutering is good for his skin condition (I hope so).

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there and welcome. What a lovely boy you have got there ! I have seen a post with similar looking patterns on a sphynxs skin recently too and they do look quite strange. My boy Wilson also gets a "rash" on his tummy that comes and goes with no obvious explanation yet it doesnt seem to bother him, although it doesnt look the same as your boys. I did ask my breeder if she had any ideas and she gave me a little pot of cream called Epaderm to rub on it which helps a little although it does come back. Apparently its to treat eczema and other dry skin conditions. I think it is made in Sweeden. I have recently started to wash their bedding in a non bio baby wash, nothing fancy or expensive , its just Tesco brand {our local supermarket} and his rash has gone but Ive only been using it for a week so time will tell.Is there any chance of talking to your breeder ? Great advice from Patti too about the ketamine. I didnt know about that and when we had Wilson neutered , I am not sure what the vet used, but when we brought him home he was "wired" and tore around the house destroying my lamp shades, something he has never done before or after! By the way I think it is great that people from around the world get together to compare experiences. Hope you dont have trouble reading my post. It would be great if we were all multi linguistic but unfoertunately here in England it is not really compulsary to learn another language but I admire those who can speak other languages.

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
thanks for your great post...
the breeder hast no ideas too.
but the baby bio wash is a good idea. I use a "sensitive" wash right now, but I'm not really happy with the product.

thanx for the "lovely boy"... he sends his greetings ;)
image.jpg

RobinOfTheHood

Lairian
Yes... Ringworm is out. They do really look rised on the grey.
But it's only the outlines. In the inner circles the skin is smooth like there is nothing at all. Really, really strange.

It's mostly like the circles grow... And than fade away over days

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@kitten posted this in the other thread that was on skin like this:

Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-56-52.png
The original pic of what we were discussing is this:
Screenshot_2014-09-30-07-37-33.png

@kitten do you have a source or link or anything to share on that info?

Back