Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Stressing little guy

nerdgirl

Lairian
Poor Oscar. I'm currently in Hawaii and he has a cat sitter staying with he and Zoe, but he is having a horrible time. He has been pooping and peeing all over his bed and all over the house. He has never ever done this. She took him to the vet and everything physically was fine. They did start him on Prozac a few weeks ago and I think it just kicked in as I was leaving and it is doing his poor little head in. Only problem is that the vet says not to take him off cold turkey, so we have to taper down his dose.

:( I just changed my flight back from Hawaii two days early so I can be with him. Poor little guy sounds super stressed out. After his whole tail surgery I think he is really fragile. I feel so bad for leaving him, but he has never had any issues like this before in the past.

Has anyone else had bad reactions to Prozac like this? The vet seems to think that it isn't the Prozac so much, but I know my guy and he hasn't been this bad ever.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry you are stressing over your boy especially while on vacation. I have no experience with Prozac, just wanted to say you are a great Sphynx Mommy to cut your trip short to help him. Poor little guy.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Oscar. I'm currently in Hawaii and he has a cat sitter staying with he and Zoe, but he is having a horrible time. He has been pooping and peeing all over his bed and all over the house. He has never ever done this. She took him to the vet and everything physically was fine. They did start him on Prozac a few weeks ago and I think it just kicked in as I was leaving and it is doing his poor little head in. Only problem is that the vet says not to take him off cold turkey, so we have to taper down his dose.

:( I just changed my flight back from Hawaii two days early so I can be with him. Poor little guy sounds super stressed out. After his whole tail surgery I think he is really fragile. I feel so bad for leaving him, but he has never had any issues like this before in the past.

Has anyone else had bad reactions to Prozac like this? The vet seems to think that it isn't the Prozac so much, but I know my guy and he hasn't been this bad ever.
Sorry to hear of this issue. Most likely your vet has prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac, Reconcile) also, here are some threads containing prozac as the search criteria here on the site, maybe some useful information there as well - http://sphynxlair.com/community/search/536948/?q=prozac&o=date

Fluoxetine side effects any of these issues listed below:
  • Loss of appetite - most common, usually temporary
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Tremor
  • Diarrhea

nerdgirl

Lairian
Thanks. I can't wait to get home to him. Last night he just sat in the bathroom and didn't eat or move. This morning I guess he ate his breakfast which is good. I don't get home until midnight and I can't wait to kiss his poor little head. I'm so sad and guilty about leaving him. Poor baby.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor little guy!! I am sure his stress is stressing you out to no end. Hope he makes a speedy recovery once your back home!!!

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tried Prozac on Mortimer to calm him down. He got diarrhea and ever since I cannot feed him kibble without him getting diarrhea. He can only eat raw now. Before the Prozac he could eat anything and not get diarrhea.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't blame yourself. You couldn't have known he would be stressed out like this.
Main thing you are going home because of it. I would too. I think when you get home it will help him.
You can work with the Vet to see if he needs to stay on it or not. Or to see if he needs something else.
I hope a Mum fix will take care of it. Please keep us updated on him.

nerdgirl

Lairian
Glad I got a flight with no problem and I have the rest of the year off of work to stay home with him. Poor baby boy. He's ruined two of his beds and blankets.

I ordered more Feliway diffusers and also collars with pheromones. Hopefully it will have a little effect on him.

Home at midnight and can't wait to just give him lots of love. I'm so sad for him.

nerdgirl

Lairian
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418761401.994950.jpg

This was him on Sunday and I thought he was feeling better. But I guess not.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Get him some zylkene totally natural works like nothing I've seen works better then even feliway if he doesn't take tablets easy i empty the powder into a little bit of liquid treats they lap it up

nerdgirl

Lairian
I'm back home with him now. Came in and the poor guy was sitting in a bed filled with his own urine. :( I bagged everything up to send out to wash. He seems fine now that I'm here. Following me around being his usual curious self. I hope that his peeing and pooping stop now that I'm back and he just missed me. I feel so bad, but at least he is here cuddled up in the blanket on my bed now.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww the poor guy. I am sorry he had such a stress filled time without you. Sounds like he is just having a hard time adjusting. Will you try and keep him on the Prozac now that you are home to continue to monitor him? As Monique, @NinaGato suggested, maybe Busbar would be a better option for him, as it has a different MOA and works a little differently than Prozac.

Jen

joeturbo26

Lairian
I hate to ring in here... But I truly believe Oscar just needs to be given a little time and adjusting on the prozac. I know it's difficult, trust me I know! How much does he weigh, and what's his dosage?

Back