Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Substitute for Real Bones?

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Hi all!

I'm converting my baby to a Raw Diet in the next couple of weeks. I've been able to pin-point a really great recipe, linked here!

They mention that we should be feeding real bones, but my local butcher nor I have access to bone a grinder. Does anyone have any suggestions for any substitutes? I was thinking kelp could be a good alternative?

Thank you :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think some recipes substitute eggshells. But I have no idea how much to include. Also Alnutrin has a supplement with added calcium, to be used for grinds without bones.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How are you going to make raw food? Most of the time those of us that make raw food use a premix (also called a supplement). If you are using boneless meat, you would get a premix that has calcium. I've been using Alnutrin which makes with and without calcium. Here is a list.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
How are you going to make raw food? Most of the time those of us that make raw food use a premix (also called a supplement). If you are using boneless meat, you would get a premix that has calcium. I've been using Alnutrin which makes with and without calcium. Here is a list.

Hi Condo Commando!

I'm actually getting my local butcher to mix and grind the meats and I plan to add the egg yolks and supplements on my own at home.

I'll definitely take a look at the link you provided for the premix :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Condo Commando!

I'm actually getting my local butcher to mix and grind the meats and I plan to add the egg yolks and supplements on my own at home.

I'll definitely take a look at the link you provided for the premix :)
You can do that or you can usually buy the meats already ground and mixed. I only know in the US.

Hey @Bailey21 where do you buy your meats in Canada? Thanks!!!

The point is you have options to make raw feeding practical :)

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
@Condo commando I don't lol, I buy commercial raw from Big Country Raw
Yes! I've used Big Country Raw in the past as well.

Does anyone know if it's ok to add some veggies, such as zucchini or celery, grounded up of course.

I know adding veggies isn't a popular choice nor is it necessary, but I figured it'd be a good source of hydration for my little guy.

Sheldon13

Staff member
No I would not add veggies. If you are concerned about hydration you can also offer tuna water or low sodium chicken broth.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cats don't require veggies in their diet. Think of wild cats, they eat mice ect. I don't think they'd go prowling into someones vegetable garden stealing tomatos. Although my weird cat would because she loves them :0

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando Nope it's super convenient, I love it! I do add a few other supplements that they recommend but I mostly just have to thaw and serve.
I get that. I don't enjoy making chicken food because I have to do everything. When I buy rabbit it's ground whole rabbit so it's easy.

I don't know if chicken in Canada is injected with a sodium solution like what we do here. That's why I prefer to make raw chicken food myself; I buy the good chicken that has not been injected.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I get that. I don't enjoy making chicken food because I have to do everything. When I buy rabbit it's ground whole rabbit so it's easy.

I don't know if chicken in Canada is injected with a sodium solution like what we do here. That's why I prefer to make raw chicken food myself; I buy the good chicken that has not been injected.
That makes sense. I don't feed chicken so I'm not sure. I only feed Kangaroo and a blend of Turkey with beef organs. It's the only two my picky boy will eat.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian

Hi @Condo commando!

Do you know of any good companies that ship in Canada? I tried to buy Alnutrin, but they've halted international shipping due to the weeks delays of shipping with USPS.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi @Condo commando!

Do you know of any good companies that ship in Canada? I tried to buy Alnutrin, but they've halted international shipping due to the weeks delays of shipping with USPS.

If you're looking for a supplement with calcium I might have a deal for you. I have an unopened package of the "Egg-Free Alnutrin with Calcium" that as things turn out, I'm not going to need. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago; the expiration date is April 2022. It should make about 40 lbs of food. If you want it, I can see if UPS will deliver it. Just message me your complete address.

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
If you're looking for a supplement with calcium I might have a deal for you. I have an unopened package of the "Egg-Free Alnutrin with Calcium" that as things turn out, I'm not going to need. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago; the expiration date is April 2022. It should make about 40 lbs of food. If you want it, I can see if UPS will deliver it. Just message me your complete address.
Writing you a message now :)

Back