Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Suckling cat!

Elycia

Lairian
Hello everyone!

My four month old sphynx constantly sucks on her own nipples! At first it didn't bother me but since her teeth are so sharp she cuts herself in the process. I thought maybe it's her age?? But I'm not too sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the behaviour?? Or any alternatives.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can try diversion with a toy, but honestly, I've learned that most Sphynx self suckle or suckle a human's neck or blanket. As long as your Sphynx doesn't hurt herself, it may be a tough habit to eliminate.

I had grave concerns over Max's tail sucking, but in the end he doesn't hurt himself. The tip of his tail is shiny from constant suckling, but it's otherwise unharmed. If he did harm himself, then I'd consider other tactics.

Is your girl hurting herself? What happens if you try diverting? How often does she suckle?

Max suckles about a 4-8 times a day.

You can see in this pic that the end of Max's tail is shiny, but undamaged.

12239739_10208012204768723_436931706596504526_n.jpg

Elycia

Lairian
You can try diversion with a toy, but honestly, I've learned that most Sphynx self suckle or suckle a human's neck or blanket. As long as your Sphynx doesn't hurt herself, it may be a tough habit to eliminate.

I had grave concerns over Max's tail sucking, but in the end he doesn't hurt himself. The tip of his tail is shiny from constant suckling, but it's otherwise unharmed. If he did harm himself, then I'd consider other tactics.

Is your girl hurting herself? What happens if you try diverting? How often does she suckle?

Max suckles about a 4-8 times a day.

You can see in this pic that the end of Max's tail is shiny, but undamaged.

12239739_10208012204768723_436931706596504526_n.jpg

I was going to take a picture for you but the cuts have healed. A couple days ago there were tiny cuts around her nipples. I would say she does it around 4-8 times as well but when I try to stop her she just goes right back to it, it doesn't matter how many times I try.

That's really my only concern. At first it wasn't a problem until I began to see little cuts.

Do you think trying a toy would help her?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The toy was suggested to me, but I found it didn't work. I'm hoping someone else has better advice.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have seen several kitties in here that do this especially when they are kittens. We had a girl once who sucked her tail, but eventually grew out of it. I agree with trying to redirect with a toy is worth a try. Since it is a nipple, perhaps having her wear a shirt while you are home might help.

Patti

Elycia

Lairian
We have seen several kitties in here that do this especially when they are kittens. We had a girl once who sucked her tail, but eventually grew out of it. I agree with trying to redirect with a toy is worth a try. Since it is a nipple, perhaps having her wear a shirt while you are home might help.

Patti
I am going to try a toy! Thank you

Is there an specific type of toy I should try?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Xandria are you going to give it a try? Hubby laughs at me as I am a great Googler...lol. I am curious if it will work. I read there are several techniques to get a cat to "take" to the nipples, but hey you never know!

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria are you going to give it a try? Hubby laughs at me as I am a great Googler...lol. I am curious if it will work. I read there are several techniques to get a cat to "take" to the nipples, but hey you never know!

Patti

If Max was a nipple sucker I'd sure buy it. I wonder if they have a tail model? LOL. So wrong... so wrong.

But sadly Max really enjoys suckling his tail and he darn near... um... swallows it. He suckles several inches in one go, so I'm afraid nipples are too small for his oral fetish. I guess size matters for my little Lord.

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
I've got a suckler on my hands too. Or should I say on my ear :D I actually diverted him from my neck to my hand and next to my ear. The neck-thing was awkward - because of the tiny little hickies I goto_O. Then hands were not a good solution because it was har to get the right angle, and hand was useless whilst being sucked. One day he found my ear lobe and he was in heaven. He usually does it in the evening when I go to bed. He will lie on my face (to make sure I can't entertain myself my looking at my phone/ipad), purr loudly and suck the lobe like crazy. Its SO loud - straight into my ear, I can't hear anything but the suckling and the purring... and I can seethe my husbands sends weird looks at me :D And if he talks to me - I can see his lips move. But all I hear is slobber and purring :ROFLMAO:.

I considered the nipple pillow - but the explanation part of having such an item stopped me:D

Hope you find a solution! I found that it has gotten a bit less as time goes by. He is 6 months now, so maybe he will even stop one day.

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Bella has always had her tail in her mouth. She also suckle my hand. I think it's quite normal. She has the nipple too!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've got a suckler on my hands too. Or should I say on my ear :D I actually diverted him from my neck to my hand and next to my ear. The neck-thing was awkward - because of the tiny little hickies I goto_O. Then hands were not a good solution because it was har to get the right angle, and hand was useless whilst being sucked. One day he found my ear lobe and he was in heaven. He usually does it in the evening when I go to bed. He will lie on my face (to make sure I can't entertain myself my looking at my phone/ipad), purr loudly and suck the lobe like crazy. Its SO loud - straight into my ear, I can't hear anything but the suckling and the purring... and I can seethe my husbands sends weird looks at me :D And if he talks to me - I can see his lips move. But all I hear is slobber and purring :ROFLMAO:.

I considered the nipple pillow - but the explanation part of having such an item stopped me:D

Hope you find a solution! I found that it has gotten a bit less as time goes by. He is 6 months now, so maybe he will even stop one day.

I'm sorry, but that is awesome. Kind of makes me glad that Max just sucks his own tail. Hickeys and ear slobber... oh my!!!

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
LMAO... I can sooooo get in touch with the ear slobber issue, fortunately Raskol prefers his belly and a nipple if he can find it, but anywhere on his belly will work. It's getting harder for him as he grows, but boy-howdy does he leave a slobber puddle! @KansasSphynxMom and I have BOTH picked him up only to find his whole belly and our hand covered in his slobber. If he was running, it'd be like catching a greased pig! He only does it when he's trying trying to go to sleep. But not every time, and it seems less and less often as he ages. I'm with @Xandria on this one though- as long as there's no injury, easiest to just get used to it... If it makes them feel secure, love on em and let them do their thing. :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LMAO... I can sooooo get in touch with the ear slobber issue, fortunately Raskol prefers his belly and a nipple if he can find it, but anywhere on his belly will work. It's getting harder for him as he grows, but boy-howdy does he leave a slobber puddle! @KansasSphynxMom and I have BOTH picked him up only to find his whole belly and our hand covered in his slobber. If he was running, it'd be like catching a greased pig! He only does it when he's trying trying to go to sleep. But not every time, and it seems less and less often as he ages. I'm with @Xandria on this one though- as long as there's no injury, easiest to just get used to it... If it makes them feel secure, love on em and let them do their thing. :)

Now I have visions of farmer Kansas Mom & Dad running around the house chasing after the greased pig known as Raskol! ha ha ha ha.

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
Oh yeah - the slobber puddle. In my case its obviously on my neck - I SO hope theres something skin preserving stuff in mouth water - if so - my neck will never age!

Back