Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

rnschleining

Lairian
Hello. My best friend Steve is a 22 month old intact male sphynx. He has been the most cuddly, affectionate, loving cat. All of a sudden he has had two episodes of violence. Once he attacked me from behind, leaving bite marks, scratches and bruises (through my jeans), and just now tonight biting my daughter's calf through her jeans. Its out of the blue with no noticeable cause. Its like he suddenly doesn't recognize us. He stares blankly and hisses when we come close. He's never acted this way. We've tried everything. It also seems as he has only targeted females. I don't know if it is because he's intact, or what the issue is. We've tried Feliway, we've tried calming oils, we've tried getting new toys and objects, everything... Now, we're sort of at our wits end. I can't imagine putting my best buddy down, it would break my heart, but I can't just push on knowing that he's hurt one of my children. I could use any advice before we have to resort to possibly re-homing him or worse.
1209135_4497988826439_557787495_n.jpg
971890_10200186162775410_275589640_n.jpg
10347511_10201262652526981_291138880764391833_n.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would get him neutered asap. Why is he 22 months old and not
been neutered? That's probably a lot of it.
I would continue to use the calming spray on his blankets
beds, and I would get a diffuser also. Keep this up and maybe after
he has his surgery he will calm down soon.
There is no reason to keep a male or female unaltered or unnutered
unless, they are breeders. Causes to many problems.

rnschleining

Lairian
We had never had him altered, though we had planned to being that we had no real reason to. He's never had any issues. I will take him into our vet Monday and get him scheduled. We have had him since he was teeny tiny and he's always been so perfect we didn't want to do anything to change him, but you're all probably right. It's probably time now.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes I agree neuter him. I hope this helps him. Hormones can be a wicked thing to live with!

Good luck!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just to put your mind at ease. Getting your boy neutered has so many benefits including most neutered animals live longer than non-neutered. For me that is reason enough.

If there happens to be any females in heat in the area it could be driving him nuts. He cannot control himself and it is natural. Please let us know when you set the appt for the snip so we can send positive thought your way that day :)

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@rnschleining , my fiancée thought we would have to get rid of Toby because of his sudden attack mode flying thru the air hissing growling biting-it was baaaad- and only against me-

raging hormones that settled down after about two weeks after neuter..

All the feliaway in the world didn't make a darn bit of difference-
He would sniff it then go in attack mode

Toby got neutered, his hormones settled and he is the most affectionate boy now! You wouldn't think it's the same cat :)
Hang in there-- glad you are scheduling his snip snip :)

**Be sure they do not use Ketamine - ask the vet when scheduling

Ps- we didn't bother with reordering feliaway after his neuter-
It didn't make ant difference for my nakeds or bengal
And the brand new plug ins get very very hot - not to my liking-

I want to believe in feliaway but I just didn't see any difference in my kitties when it ran out

Keep us posted on your handsome boy!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, I agree with the others. It's definitely time! please let us know how he's doing! You might end up with a sweet boy.

joeturbo26

Lairian
Yep neuter him! But I have a question. When he goes into these fits of rage, does he seem entranced or just simply angry? Does he snap right back to normal behavior after an episode? Or does he seem to stay in these bad moods for a continued period of time?

rnschleining

Lairian
Its been so long since I posted this.

We had our boy snipped over a year ago after the advice from the forum and all I can say is HALLELUJAH!!!

He had about a week of adjustment, but is still my happy, healthy, lovable boy. I GOT MY BABY BACK!

Not one aggression incident since we had him fixed. I wish my vet would have discussed this with us earlier, but they never even brought it up. My vet explained that cats have very little change after being fixed, so sudden aggressive issues would not be resolved. He sort of seemed peeved that I even suggested we fix him. He kept saying there's risk of infection and bleeding... He just asked why I would get a pure breed animal and fix it... we never intended to breed him in the first place.

Needless to say... I GOT A DIFFERENT VET!

I've talked about a dozen people into fixing their cats since then...

Changed our life. Saved my best friend.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@mschleining I am so happy that things worked out for you. Thanks for the update and most of all so happy you got "your boy" back!

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Its been so long since I posted this.

We had our boy snipped over a year ago after the advice from the forum and all I can say is HALLELUJAH!!!

He had about a week of adjustment, but is still my happy, healthy, lovable boy. I GOT MY BABY BACK!

Not one aggression incident since we had him fixed. I wish my vet would have discussed this with us earlier, but they never even brought it up. My vet explained that cats have very little change after being fixed, so sudden aggressive issues would not be resolved. He sort of seemed peeved that I even suggested we fix him. He kept saying there's risk of infection and bleeding... He just asked why I would get a pure breed animal and fix it... we never intended to breed him in the first place.

Needless to say... I GOT A DIFFERENT VET!

I've talked about a dozen people into fixing their cats since then...

Changed our life. Saved my best friend.

@rnschleining not only am I so happy for you that you got your baby back, but also glad to hear you got a new vet. :) Thanks for the update.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So happy with you too! Love the pic. "Fixing" can only improve health and disposition. Glad you have a new vet too.

And um, please post more pics of your boy. He's sooooo handsome!

tara44

Lairian
What a strange thing for your vet to say (in my opinion) - I have only ever heard encouragement from vets about desexing. Crazy! But so glad your little boy is back to his loving self :D

Back