Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sudden Hair Growth

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I've had Teeka about a year and a half now (she's about 3 1/2). She's always been about 98% naked with a downy patch on her nose and the backs of her ears.

Now, suddenly a couple of days ago I noticed that she suddenly has a strip of fur along her breast bone. It's not long, but definitely there! Is it common for a Sphynx to suddenly grow fur in just one spot? Should I be at all concerned? She's otherwise 100% normal - no personality changes or health changes. Just suddenly sprouting bits of fur.

How embarrassing that my little princess suddenly has a hairy chest! :Wink:

I agree with Bella. Amaryllis had quite a bit on the base of her tail, as well as a little tuft at the end.

Now the base of her tail is completely thinned out and the tuft is almost gone.

Gable is completely hairless with the exception of the bridge of his nose and back of his ears have downy fur.

Amaryllis looks naked but when you touch her, you can feel this soft down on her. It is just amazing! She feels like silk! Love to cuddle with her because she is so amazingly soft! She has a little light fur on her tail and feet.

I think your girl's little chest hair may just go away in time.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hormones can definitely be the culprit. Is she spayed?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie is spayed and her down fur has seem to sprout quite a bit on her back flank area..just on the hips..her tail has also sprouted about a 1 inch sprout that can not be tamed. lol It grew in when she was about a year old and then thinned out alot and now its back again. lol

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
5e has a small patch of of hair the size of a pencil eraser on his right flank that grows fur -- he's always had it so :shrug:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy has always had a little hair on his tail and the backs of his ears and the other day I noticed that he has one small circle spot of hair on his butt!! It is so funny looking.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Hormones can definitely be the culprit. Is she spayed?
Yes, she was spayed about 2 weeks before I got her. She had two litters previous to that.

She isn't showing any signs of being in heat, thank god. My sister had a dog that was spayed but the vet missed part of an ovary and three years after her "spay" the dog started going into heat as enough of the cells regenerated to cause her to ovulate!!!

I hope to heck it's nothing like that with Teeka!

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
... and now she's hair-free in the chest area again!

I was rubbing Teeka's chest/belly last night when I realized my fingers were coated with downy fluff. I looked down and sure enough, the hair on her chest had come out while I was lovin' her up.

Well at least she looks like the Princess she is again. :)

tessblack

Banned
Mine were both completely hairless until about 8 months and now they have a light fur on there backs and there tails are very fuzzy. It comes and goes, sometimes it gets longer and then sometimes it gets lighter.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bronxe is all naked too and once winter he grew a lot of hair!! his paws were SOOOOO hairy! his tail was very fuzzy! ears/face!! whole 9 yards! it only happened once for his first winter and never grew back again... odd.

dubeespot

Lairian
I was wondering the same thing about the fur!!! I rescued my 2 sphynx kitties in May and my pink boy was naked like rubber - only had fuzz on his nose area and a smidge at the base of his ears. Now he has a patch on the back below his neck and it is growing thick and it's long enough now for me to form a little mohawk out of it!!! It's now getting curly - it's fun to play with lol! Also.........he has a furry tail now and 2 patches on his hips and his shoulders!!! I think it's from the cold weather - we'll see come spring!!

dubeespot

Lairian
oh p.s. my other sphynx kitty is black and white with peach fuzz - female and her coat has not changed a bit!!