Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sudden vomiting and soft stool

Pohn

Lairian
Hi guys!

I thought I would share a recent story of mine. Maybe it could help and others could learn from it too.

So 1 and a half week ago, at about 3 AM, I woke up because I heard funny noises. My boy was smacking his lips and then cried out in pain. A sec later, his tummy went up and down, and then the vomiting came. There was nothing undigested in his vomit, just like fluid and maybe a little bit of bile.
The next day he was totally fine, so we kinda shook it off.

The following two nights, we had the same issue. Lip smacking and vomiting. I read somewhere that maybe he had his dinner too early so his stomach was so empty in the middle of the night that it caused him discomfort. So the next evening, I fed him a late dinner. And it worked....well, at first I thought. We were good for a day.

After that, the vomiting came in the morning, a couple hours after his breakfast and a yellow-brownish soft stool joined the party. He even lost his appetite a bit towards the dry food. The next three days went like no vomit, yes vomit, no vomit and he pooped multiple times a day. So I gave a ring to our vet to figure out what was going on.

He said that there was nothing to worry about, it is really common and will happen from time to time as Sphynx cats have really sensitive stomach and he probably had something that upset his tummy. He even told that it could happen that his kibble or wet food had something harmful, which got in during the production of the food. He gave me a list of medicines to buy, which would help him get back to his normal pooping and digesting state. He recommended probiotics, prebiotics, pills that include electrolytes and antacid medicine. A couple of days went by and we are feeling much better. :)

I'll leave a list of the medicines here:
Protexin Synbiotic D-C - probiotic, prebiotic - a pill a day for 7-14 days
Candioli Florentero Act - probiotic with electrolyte - half pill a day for 7-14 days
Quamatel Mini - antacid - 1/4 pill a day for 5 days

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_102403.jpg
    IMG_20201007_102403.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 24

Pohn

Lairian
I’m glad the meds are working out for him! Did you get a new bag of food?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Yeah, we opened a new one. It was a fortunate situation as the other was almost finished..so not so much waste. However, it is not certain that the dry food was the problem, the doc suggested it as a possibility. It could be anything, his wet food, something he stole from the kitchen, a bug he ate.

I would vote for the kitchen stuff. He is a sneaky little pirate and takes every opportunity to steal or lick something in the kitchen. We are trying to put everything away, out of his reach...but sometimes he gets his way. For example, a couple of weeks ago he stole a whole slice of pizza even though I covered the box. He got busted the next day as his poop was full of corn pieces.

Yoda mom

Staff member
thank you for sharing, hugs n head smooches. ps watch your baby around pizza! my pup got pizza dough toxicity reaction, dough swelled in his tummy. had a rough few days and healed thankgoodness.

keep us upated and we always love to see pics

Pohn

Lairian
thank you for sharing, hugs n head smooches. ps watch your baby around pizza! my pup got pizza dough toxicity reaction, dough swelled in his tummy. had a rough few days and healed thankgoodness.

keep us upated and we always love to see pics
That sounds terrible. Glad he got over it without anything serious.

Our boy encountered the pizza dough too but he just ran over it like a crazy truck driver. :D

Update: he is doing pretty well. The vomiting stopped completely and his poopy is firm again. :) his appetite also came back.

Thank you for the good wishes. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010_112452.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010_112452.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201007_103757.jpg
    IMG_20201007_103757.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201009_095339.jpg
    IMG_20201009_095339.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
Back