Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sun Block

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok so this may be a dumb question (especialy since it's like -zillion outside) but I have read that Sphynx Cats can get sunburns like people because they don't have hair...which makes complete sense, but does that mean this summer when I take Abby out I should put Sun Block on her?:Question:

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've heard yes, but with all the chemicals in sunblock and kitty's always cleaning themselves I wonder what would be the best one? Does anyone have any ideas?
yeah thats what i was thinking about, all the chemicals. I don't want Abby to get sick

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use the childrens. I was thinking I should check at the health food store for something non toxic. It is mostly the pink and light skin kitties that burn. I used to put it on my pot belly pig.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Abbyknitter, I've heard that California Baby has a good organic children's sunblock that is gentle enough for our sphynx cats. You can find this brand at any of the health food stores or at their website: http://californiababy.com/spf-suncare.html
The only downside is that their product is pretty expensive ($19.99 for a bottle of baby sunblock....yikes!).

PitRottMommy

Banned
Zinc Oxide, present in most sunscreens, is toxic to cats. PLEASE be VERY cautious with choosing sunscreens.

Of all the brands I've searched, for humans and pets, NONE of them qualify for cats. If in doubt, ask your vet before applying!

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks Guys:ThumbsUp: I will ask my vet too, when it comes time :Angry:it was 1 degree today....agggg

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you have a whole foods or Target near you there is a great kids sun screen there that is all natural with no zinc in it so it's completely safe. It's called California Baby and after I bought it I took it to the vet to get the ok before I applied it.

Attachments

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you have a whole foods or Target near you there is a great kids sun screen there that is all natural with no zinc in it so it's completely safe. It's called California Baby and after I bought it I took it to the vet to get the ok before I applied it.
Thanks I'll take a look at that next time I'm at Target:Smile: