sun burn | Sphynxlair

sun burn

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by kalliee129, May 13, 2009.

1. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $371.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    I swear I'm not a bad mommy but I didn't put any sun block on Meecho this monday. I mean she was in the house all day and I didn't think she would get exposed to the sun. Well I completely forgot the skylight in the bathroom, althought I don't know how since that is where the litter box is. Anyway she now has a very pink/red head with tiny little bumps on it. Anyone have a cure? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

2. kerrie78

kerrie78Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $475.00
    Ratings:
    +89
    If it doesn't go away like sunburn should I would consult your vet, if it is sore for her in the meantime you could give her an oatmeal bath to soothe her skin.

3. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $277,515.68
    Ratings:
    +17,659
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Yes,
    I agree with kerrie, if it doesn't get better see your vet. They have special topical creams that wont harm your baby if they lick it.:tinysmile_grin_t:

4. kerrie78

kerrie78Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $475.00
    Ratings:
    +89
    I looked at some stuff through the house for sunburn... they have so many chemicals in them i would be worried about lathering them up with them; if it were me i would do the oatmeal baths if she is uncomfortable... if no better in a few days give your vet a call. I know sphynx skin is comparable to a "baby's" skin but cats are strange on what they can tolerate as far as chemicals so i would check with your vet before trying anything on her.

5. streakin

streakinLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $367.00
    Ratings:
    +3
    on the subject of sunburn, what is the best sunscreen to use on our little guys? Xerx wants to hang outside on the porch a lot and I'm scared he's going to get burnt!

6. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,464.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    Streakin, is that not a perfect name for a sphynx or what?

I took ButterBall outside once. He was exposed to direct sunlight for about 10 minutes. He developed freckles. Like freckles you see after a sunburn. I'm not sure if the sun caused it or not but I hope it's not the beginnings of melanomas. He's beginning to reach his sexual maturity so it might just be a natural change. How much sun is too much? Even for the most pasty white person, ten minutes isn't enough to cause a burn is it?

7. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,132.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    First the sunburn will go away in a few days, Leo has gotten it A couple of times even with sunblock I think they just love the sun so much they don't know when to go cool off and when they get so hot they do get red and A bit rashy. Second I use baby sun block, the spray on kind is good just be sure to cover there face. :tinysmile_twink_t:

8. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $371.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. The burn went away and with it the bumps. I think she actually learned her lesson because she isn't actually bathing in the sun anymore. Just to be safe I do put her sunblock on. Streakin the sunblock my vet said was good after I showed it to her is called "california baby" it actually is 100% chemical free. You can find it in natural food stores or target in the baby section. It can be a little gunky to put on, but Meecho doesn't seem to mind it and I actually love the smell.

9. streakin

streakinLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $367.00
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great, I will check out Target this weekend (yet another excuse to shop haha)

10. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $277,515.68
    Ratings:
    +17,659
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    I like the bath picture streakin!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t