Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tale Grude

Lairian
Hi!

I have been looking for sunblock for Kisa and found this:

http://www.aniwell-uk.com/horses/filtaclear/

http://www.aniwell-uk.com/files/4813/4433/8804/FC_UK_Info_sheet_07_Better.pdf

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aniwell-Fil...e=UTF8&qid=1398082000&sr=1-2&keywords=aniwell

And I was wondering if anyone have used it or know of any sunblock that is good to use? I think this one seems really good though. It says SPF 24 - 27, is that enough?

So this leads up to a couple of other questions too:

How long can they be out in the sun and high temperatures?
How much sun can they handle?
Do they get sunburned very easily?

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am pretty sure there is not a sunblock out that is safe for them. :( they can take quite a bit of heat, but don't know enough to protect themselves from too much sun. They definitely will get sunburned. Besides the pain, they can develop spots and blisters and skin cancer from the sun.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned above do not use sunblock. There has been none developed that are safe for them. They will try to clean themselves and ingest it. It is just as dangerous for them as a person going outside naked with nothing on. You want to avoid sunburn and the other issues associated with the sun like melanoma etc. I say use common sense. If going out for a longer period a covered stroller or a shirt etc. The ears are always an issue.

Patti

Tale Grude

Lairian
But the sunblock I posted above is devoloped for animals, especially cats and dogs. And is non-toxic if they were to lick it.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My fur cat fifa is snow white with pink ears, nose & paws, when he was little our vet told us to cream his ears in children suncream so ive always done his ears in spf50, with Blue we are going to avoid the sun as much as possible, i dont like the idea of him licking any suncream, i wouldnt lick it myself so why should i put him in a situation where he will do it ?? (fifas ears are not licked inside where i cream) i'd phone your vet & get their oppinion before you use the suncream just to be on the safe side, especially as our kittys are prone to skin problems, better to be safe than sorry ;) xxx

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would want to check the ingredients list but couldn't find one. Maybe it's in the guide though...
They say it has a bittering agent to prevent licking but if it was safe to ingest why would that be needed? I would investigate a bit more before using it.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would check with the Vet. If you know all the ingredients, then, you can google them and see if that is
something that's safe for cats. I have never heard of one being safe for cats either.
But, that' sure doesn't mean there isn't any.

Back