Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sunday Fun!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope everyone in the US enjoyed Thanksgiving! We had a nice holiday and started decorating for Christmas today. It involved moving things around in the living room, and Cleopatra was a bit taken aback by the cat tree’s newest occupants. I may leave them there a while, just to see how long it will take for the cats to shove them off.
4A67593F-FA34-4DFA-8326-08BA6171E316.jpeg

As many of the members who have been here for a while know, I do a lot of sewing, knitting, quilting and spinning yarn. Cleopatra is my usual helper in all of these endeavors, sitting on my lap under quilts or sweaters in progress and hanging out in the sewing room to test out all the tote bags to make sure she fits in them.

For the last 2 weeks, I have been dyeing yarns for a sweater. Dyeing is a new obsession interest for me, and I have been having a great time learning how to color yarns with food coloring. Today, I used food coloring to paint the last of 11 skeins of yarn, and they are all beautiful! Two skeins are drying, and the last one is still being processed but here are most of the yarns for the sweater, along with a knitted sample.
51D07041-F26B-49BF-9AC4-229658ABC4F4.jpeg

And this is why Marcus is NOT allowed to help me paint yarns.
53ADCD7E-0399-45CB-8352-0568E5F23438.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Lol....love the yarn, but I doubted Mischievous Marcus looked like that...you are way too cautious after Cleo and the string caper...but I loved the post.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow you are absolutely right! Even though the permanent dye I use is food coloring, and therefore nontoxic, I would never do that to any animal, especially not Markie. Bob was just having some fun with Photoshop. It is interesting that the dye that is in our food is a permanent dye...

Our son did give his furry cat a purple stripe on her head when he was in high school in the 1990s. He would temporarily dye his hair with food coloring (if it isn’t fixed with a weak acid like vinegar or citric acid, it washes away fast), and one day, he decided that the cat needed to have a purple Mohawk like his. After we had a good laugh about it, he washed it out and never did it again, but it was kind of interesting...

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
He’s such a handsome boy...and I do like that he Iives in color lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, Marcus is a handsome boy. But he was so dirty in that picture, when he was a kitten btw, that the photoshopped colors are a great improvement.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Knowing you I knew this couldn't be real but you almost tricked me as accidents can happen to everybody.
Marcus looks cool with all the colours though:)

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
BTW, if you’ve read this far, the photo of Marcus is photoshopped. No cats were painted for this thread!:p
I absolutely loved this post and I think your dyed yarn is beautiful. I have no talent and really admire people who can sew, knit, crochet, quilt, paint, walk and chew gum!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I absolutely loved this post and I think your dyed yarn is beautiful. I have no talent and really admire people who can sew, knit, crochet, quilt, paint, walk and chew gum!
Thank you! I had a lot of fun with dyeing the yarns and my husband’s photoshopped picture of Marcus. I tend to get frustrated because I cannot do any of the fine art or graphic art that my husband does so beautifully. We all have talents and abilities, and sometimes it is difficult to appreciate our own talents.
BTW chewing gum is definitely not one of my talents! :p

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you! I had a lot of fun with dyeing the yarns and my husband’s photoshopped picture of Marcus. I tend to get frustrated because I cannot do any of the fine art or graphic art that my husband does so beautifully. We all have talents and abilities, and sometimes it is difficult to appreciate our own talents.
BTW chewing gum is definitely not one of my talents! :p
Doesn’t food colouring wash out when you wash it?